The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old March 28, 2009, 04:24 PM   #1
Catfishman

Nagant with Brass on the furniture

I just bought a Mosin-Nagant 91-30. It was made in 1925 and it has Brass on either end of the wood between the front and rear sights. Is this unusual? Is it worth more than other 91-30s?
Old March 28, 2009, 04:34 PM   #2
Tom2

No it is not, really. I think you better check and see if it is actually the varnish making steel look like brass. Mine has the blueing worn off the end pieces of the handguard, when I saw it I said oh, brass looking metal, but it turned out to be the color tint added by the varnish applied over everything. Not to say that some are not brass? I have to check some more at the gunshow tomorrow and see closer.
Old March 28, 2009, 04:42 PM   #3
Catfishman

I know what your saying. The old varnish has an amber tint to it. But these two pieces on this rifle are definitely brass.
Old March 28, 2009, 04:58 PM   #4
Tom2

However. If it is made in 1925 and has the hex receiver, those are getting scarcer on the market and bring more than the round receivers of later production. I am assuming it was run thru Soviet arsenal overhaul at some point so maybe all the parts do not match. As a matter of fact, I saw no more hex receiver rifles at the last gun show I went to, I may go to another tomorrow. People are picking them over the rounds, so they will dry up and go up in resale value sooner. Don't expect to get rich but if it is in real good shape, it will rise in value over time. As for brass bits, in the overhaul process, I suspect it is luck to get that sort of handguard when the comrade workers put all the pieces back together.
Old March 28, 2009, 05:18 PM   #5
B. Lahey

Some of the pre-WWII stocks had brass doodads. I picked up a 1940 Izhevsk with that kind of stock not long ago. They must have been using the last of the leftovers at that point.
Old March 29, 2009, 11:29 AM   #6
ksstargazer

Brass endcaps are not that unusual. About 25% of my mosins have them. Some people would be willing to pay a little more for them, but not significantly more.
Old March 31, 2009, 07:25 AM   #7
Tom2

www.7.62x54r.net has pictures of the different handguards and descriptions. For some reason Yahoo home page tries to discourage me from going to the website! Maybe cause it is too gunny?
Old April 10, 2009, 08:39 PM   #8
srt 10 jimbo

Mine has brass, It was made in 1936. It's also a 91/30
Old April 22, 2009, 01:36 PM   #9
calljon

Some had Brass

I have six Mosin Nagants all from various armories and one has brass end caps. From the best I can tell it adds about $15-$25 to the value of the gun. Considering I bought my guns for about $60 each it's not too bad.