The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 30, 2005, 11:28 AM   #1
ForksLaPush

71 grain 32 H&R?

I have a bunch of 71 grain bullets leftover from a 32ACP I got rid of. I was wanting to use them up in my 32 H&R magnum but haven't seen any load data for 32 H&R mag for this bullet. Anybody know af any? I'm wondering if the difference in velocity, 1200 FPS vs. 900 FPS, would make this a bad idea.
If the snake bites before it is charmed, there is no advantage in having a charmer. Ecclesiastes 10:11
Old April 30, 2005, 02:04 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

If you work up loads carefully, the light bullet should simply shoot faster. Getting enough seating depth for a good crimp may be the biggest nuisance. Otherwise, a load intended for an 85 grain bullet in the H&R will simply give lower pressure. It should work fine.

The .32 Mag isn't as high pressure as the bigger magnums are. My internal ballistics program suggests a starting load of about 4.3 grains of Unique when seating a 71 grain Hornady RN bullet to an overall length of 1.30". The program's upper limit is about 5.6 grains for this combination, but you don't want to trust a computer program's upper limit number. Start with the low one and work up slowly looking for pressure signs. 5.3 grains of unique should provide over 1200 fps from a 4" barrel. That's probably as high as I would take it. It will burn about 93% of the powder.

Nick
Old April 30, 2005, 03:33 PM   #3
Sturm

Depending on what diameter you get from the resizer and expander with your dies, this could work quite well if you can get enough bullet pull. Worth burning up the 71 gr. bullets anyway.

Unclenick, which program are you using?
Old April 30, 2005, 04:40 PM   #4
ForksLaPush

Thanks. I second the question. What program is that?
If the snake bites before it is charmed, there is no advantage in having a charmer. Ecclesiastes 10:11