The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old April 21, 2011, 09:05 AM   #1
OsOk-308

Moving to California, legality on XDM?

I may be moving to California in the near future, and am wondering if the high capacity magazine on my XDM is the ONLY thing that makes it illegal. The print on the box says: NOT LEGAL IN CALIFORNIA AND WITH HIGH CAPACITY MAGAZINE. The AND is what makes me think there are other features that make this gun illegal. I have searched other forums and California's law a little bit. Someone said that a loaded chamber indicator may make it illegal. If it's just the magazine capacity, I will look high and low for 10 round mags. Does anyone in California know of a California legal XDM? I would rather not part with this handgun as it was the first handgun I've ever bought, it has a bit of sentimentality with it, as well as the fact that it shoots like a champion.
Thanks to all for reading.
Old April 21, 2011, 09:14 AM   #2
mikejonestkd

http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/

Hope this helps.
Old April 21, 2011, 09:58 AM   #3
Talin342

Magazine disconnector

I also think that you need a magazine safety to be legal in CA, but that's just speculation.

I don't think that they sell 10-rd XDm magazines. You might call Springfield and ask. You might also ask what, if anything, other than the hi-cap mag makes them illegal in CA.
Old April 21, 2011, 09:58 AM   #4
jmortimer

I assume you have to move here otherwise this state blows. I believe you just need to use 10 roung mags and leave your Hi-Caps with a trusted friend/relative until you can escape from this hell-hole.
Old April 21, 2011, 11:42 PM   #5
OsOk-308

mikejonestkd thanks, that link definitely helps. Still upset that the XDM is not on that list.

Quote:
I assume you have to move here otherwise this state blows. I believe you just need to use 10 roung mags and leave your Hi-Caps with a trusted friend/relative until you can escape from this hell-hole.
I think I'll probably do something of that sort. At least the good thing is that I can still have my 1911 and other guns too. I am pretty confident that living there is going to be a drastic change from living in Colorado where the public is much more accepting of firearms (except Boulder). I hate the idea of having to wait for any sort of period in order to purchase any handgun I would like to buy if I decide on getting more while there.
Old April 22, 2011, 08:39 AM   #6
danez71

I am not a lawyer... I am a former CA 35+ yr resident.

Anything over 10 round mags is NOT allowed unless you owned them IN the state prior to the ban. (simple version of the law)

That gun is not on the approved list. It can not be sold in CA.

You are not selling it... you are moving there. You are allowed to bring it but not mags over 10 rounds.

You HAVE to register it in 60 days.

The 'list' is a 'safe list' allowed for sale. Youre not selling it. Assault Weapons are banned unlessed grandfathered. Yours isnt banned.... its just not on the 'safe list'.

Here is a good start http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...ad.php?t=81127

Calguns.net is a GREAT resource.
Old April 22, 2011, 09:21 AM   #7
OsOk-308

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but I can own it as long as I have only 10rnd mags and DO NOT sell or transfer it? This might make things better.
Old April 22, 2011, 09:32 AM   #8
MLeake

Sounds like Hawaii was when I was stationed there. As always, check the actual state websites, in this case kindly linked by mikejonestkd. Advice given with the best of intentions, by the nicest of people, can still be wrong (not referring to anybody in this thread, just making a general statement).
Old April 22, 2011, 10:35 AM   #9
Frank Ettin
Staff

As danez71 wrote, there's no problem about the pistol. Although it can't be sold by a dealer in California, you may own it in California.

BUT you may not bring in the high capacity magazines. That would be importing high capacity magazines and a felony. So you'll need to find some 10 round magazines, or permanently convert yours to 10 rounds, to get any use out of your pistol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsOk-308
...correct me if I'm wrong, but I can own it as long as I have only 10rnd mags and DO NOT sell or transfer it?...
Actually, as long as you're a California resident, there's no problem with your selling the gun (without high capacity magazines) to another California resident. While private party transfers must go through a dealer in California, they are exempt from the handgun roster; and non-roster handguns may be transferred in private transactions (through a dealer).
Old April 25, 2011, 10:58 PM   #10
Pietro Beretta

You are considered to be a personal handgun importer as defined by California law. You may bring all of your otherwise California-legal firearms with you, but you must report all of your handguns to the DOJ within 60 days as required utilizing the New Resident Handgun Ownership Report. [PDF 518 kb / 2 pg] You are not required to report rifles or shotguns. You may not bring ammunition feeding devices with a capacity greater than ten rounds, machineguns, or assault weapons into California.

(PC sections 12001(n), 12072(f)(2))
Old April 30, 2011, 07:41 PM   #11
rburch

Not sure so check this, but I believe you can have the full capacity mags as long as they are disassembled.

At least people I know keep them in pieces and then reassemble them when they go shooting out of state, and claim it's legal to do so.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Old April 30, 2011, 08:23 PM   #12
csmsss

Quote:
At least people I know keep them in pieces and then reassemble them when they go shooting out of state, and claim it's legal to do so
That strikes me as a peculiar circumstance, to say the least. Isn't the point of high capacity magazines really to give you greater firepower (or more chances to miss, if you choose to look at it that way) in a self-defense shooting? Disassembling them, then reassembling them at an out-of-state range, then disassembling them again seems rather inconvenient to me, especially when you consider that the legality of possessing them in California, disassembled or not, is still an unsettled matter?
Old April 30, 2011, 08:44 PM   #13
Wildalaska

Quote:
Still upset that the XDM is not on that list.

So what

Its a plastic gun and.....

It's your choice whether to move to California with the stupid gun laws (notwithstanding high taxes and crap for an economy) they have.

Get a revolver or whatever they allow, or don't move there and hope that sooner or later, either the voters there or the Courts fix it.

WildgunlawsaredownonmylistofthingsthatmakeaplaceniceAlaska ™©2002-2011
Old February 28, 2013, 03:01 PM   #14
Frank Ettin
Staff

Old thread, nothing to see here.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Closed Thread