The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 22, 2013, 08:39 AM   #51
Patriot86

The problem with this is the same types of legislators who are typically anti gun also do not care about private business. They vote to keep hiking taxes, the minimum wage and to pass other anti business measures. Unless you are a State/City Worker, in a Union or a part of a select few mega corporations who give them huge campaign contributions They don't and won't give a darn unless you FORCE them to by getting some of these yahoo's thrown out of office come the next election.

An even more powerful message that voting a pro gun R in and an anti gun D, would be if these anti gunners start losing in primaries to pro gun candidates from their own parties.

I hope Magpul finds a new home soon but this is going to disrupt the supply chain, you don't just move a huge manufacturing company overnight. If they move as far away as say Texas, or Arizona then some of the skilled workers will not follow. It could be 1-2 years before they are up and running at full capacity after a move. I imagine it will be a gradual change, with Magpul moving PMAG Manufacturing first and slowly moving the other stuff so they don't have a big disruption. Its gonna be a rough ride for 30 round PMAGS though, I am so glad right now that I stocked up on PMAGS!
Old February 22, 2013, 09:41 AM   #52
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Bring them jobs to the free state of Florida...
Right to work state and NO state income tax...

Brent
Old February 22, 2013, 11:09 AM   #53
btmj

yeah, I agree with what Tom Servo just said about hyperbole.... it is getting a bit thick.

I travel to many cities in California on business, including LA, San Francisco, and San Diego. I also travel to Dallas and Austin.

Now, Austin may not be as conservative as Midland, or Abilene, or Lubbock, but it is nothing like San Francisco. Nothing. I rather like Austin, and when I visit, there is no doubt that I am in TEXAS... as an outsider, Austin feels as much like TEXAS as Dallas, or Houston... but with better music and nightlife .

A lot of Californians are on our side... probably more than 30%... given the size of California, that is a huge number of people.

Either Wyoming or Nebraska seem like logical choices for Magpul. That would be an easy move for Magpuls existing workforce... they would still be close to their family ties in the Boulder area.
Old February 24, 2013, 10:29 PM   #54
mdd

Why Nebraska? Their roads suck. My gravel roads are smoother than their state highways. Kansas gets no mention even though we have great incentives for businesses, right to work laws, and a good work ethic as evidenced by our low unemployment rate. Otherwise this place sucks but it would be good for business. Plus you can't get more centrally located than in Kansas.
Old February 25, 2013, 05:19 PM   #55
Ronbert

If I were planning the move I'd take them to Cheyenne, Wy.

It's not very far so the move wouldn't take long and there's even the possibility that some of the same workers could make the transition without even moving out of their homes (I'm not sure about this though).

And Cheyenne is right on two major interstates so it's well served in terms of transportation.

And besides, I might like to work there :-) (my commute would be slightly better than what I do now)
Old February 26, 2013, 03:24 PM   #56
johnwilliamson062

The presses they use are probably relatively small. Maybe a few large ones for their stocks. They should be able to move with less expense than you might think.
I'd buy a Pmag with a Lone Star on it and I'm not even a crazy Texan(They said I was too short to get residency).

Last edited by johnwilliamson062; February 26, 2013 at 04:15 PM.
Old February 26, 2013, 07:00 PM   #57
doofus47

Well, if they go, hopefully, they'll go to Cheyenne, so their employees can keep jobs.

The guy who installed my heater was also doing duct work for magpul, so the economic loss will go far beyond just the plastics industry.
Old February 26, 2013, 07:21 PM   #58
johnwilliamson062

As close as Cheyenne is, it is still a long move for most with families. Some would be able to make it though. I might have sent them a CV a few hours ago...
Old February 27, 2013, 09:55 AM   #59
OPC

From Magpul Industry's FB page last night:
Quote:
We are proud to announce that within a matter of days we will be going live with a new program. Due to a bill currently moving through the Colorado legislature, there is the possibility that Colorado residents' ability to purchase standard capacity magazines will soon be infringed. Before that happens, and Magpul is forced to leave the state in order to keep to our principles, we will be doing our... best to get standard capacity PMAGs into the hands of any Colorado resident that wants them.

Verified Colorado residents will be able to purchase up to ten (10) standard capacity AR/M4 magazines directly from Magpul, and will be given immediate flat-rate $5 shipping, bypassing our current order queue.

Our customers outside of Colorado, please know that our PMAG production will continue at an ever-increasing rate until we do relocate, shipments to our distributors in other states will continue, and that we do not expect relocation to significantly impact PMAG production. We are also aware that Colorado is not the only state with existing or pending magazine capacity restrictions; we are working on programs for other affected states as well.

Full details and instructions will be announced when we are able to go live; please watch here for the coming announcement.
"Standard capacity"...30 round mags, yes? While I don't have any mags on order and I appreciate that some may have been waiting on backorder for a while, I do applaud this action. I hope those in non-ban states that are still waiting for mags will be cool with this reshuffle of the queue.

Kudos to Magpul for sticking to their principles.
Old February 27, 2013, 10:35 AM   #60
JimDandy

I find it amusingly ironic that I've been contemplating buying some 10 round magazines for the range. And that I haven't been able to get them as an impulse buy while shopping for reloading supplies because the stores don't carry them.