The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 20, 2013, 10:28 PM   #1
Gats Italian

Oregon's Proposed AWB and Mag Limits Die in Committee

http://www.oregonlive.com/mapes/inde..._river_default

Dead for now anyways. Remain eternally vigilant Oregonian firearms owners. Still have to contend with UBC and massacre zone legislation though.
Old February 20, 2013, 10:52 PM   #2
Tickling

Thanks for posting this. I wrote to my reps and they assured me it wouldn't pass, but it's nice to have some confirmation.

BOOM: 100 posts. Prize please
Old February 21, 2013, 01:31 AM   #3
NWPilgrim

We have a lot of progressive laws being passed but thankfully the gun laws are pretty decent. No thanks to John McCain's efforts to the contrary a few years ago.

Thanks for the news I had not heard this yet.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old February 24, 2013, 01:59 PM   #4
dajowi

Now the legislature is looking at House Bill 3200. Holy Mackerel!
Old February 24, 2013, 08:18 PM   #5
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
BOOM: you win a date with TFL Staff member Tom Servo! I'll warn you that I get pretty frisky after a couple of mimosas, and I tend to inflict damage on public property. I'll be at your place in about twenty minutes.

What's interesting is the changing rhetoric as they lose ground. Now they're talking about "narrowing" their initiative. They couldn't get bans passed, so they're trying to expand background checks and place hurdles in the way of getting carry permits.

This is an echo of what we're seeing on the national level. The Big Idea Stuff doesn't stand a chance at passage, so they focus on making life as hard as possible for us. At the root of it all, this has nothing to do with public safety and everything to do with punishing gun owners.
Old February 25, 2013, 03:22 PM   #6
Tickling

Quote:
BOOM: you win a date with TFL Staff member Tom Servo! I'll warn you that I get pretty frisky after a couple of mimosas, and I tend to inflict damage on public property. I'll be at your place in about twenty minutes.

The prize is so much more than I deserve, truly. It was merely the result hard work, determination, old fashioned grit and steadfast, unwavering courage in the face of adversity.

I would like to thank all the people who made this possible, namely my wife, whose past patience made all this possible (not to mention future patience, since Tom and I will be spending so much time together ). I would also like to thank the staff and of course all you little people. Someday, you might be like me.

But back to the old grindstone:

Un? -fortunately I think that HB 3200 is just smoke and mirrors for other legislation. I am very curious to see what else gets announced in the next few weeks.
Old February 25, 2013, 03:38 PM   #7
hunttheevil

"I would also like to thank the staff and of course all you little people.
Now you have him worked up Tom. You know who that sounds like?
Old February 25, 2013, 03:42 PM   #8
Fishing_Cabin

Quote:
Quote:
BOOM: you win a date with TFL Staff member Tom Servo!
I just hit 500, so I am not even going to go there...(btw Tom I'm getting ready to err hide, excuse me, leave, and I will make sure to deadbolt the door. )

I admit it is interesting to see the change on both national, and states too, go from speaking about bans, then later when that fails they start talking about background checks, and on down the line...Another few more rounds of this and they will have lost a lot of support, at least I would hope they would loose support after failing so many times.
Old February 25, 2013, 04:12 PM   #9
adamc

Don't ease up...

They will be back with a vengeance !

see what they are trying to pull here in CT

Connecticut was the Cradle of the Gun Industry, NOW it is just a Pine Box,
Courtesy of our Governor "Chairman MAO Malloy"