The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 22, 2013, 02:28 PM   #1
Crossfire Arms, LLC

Some observations

Hello Everyone,

This forum has provided me with a wealth of information over the years, and I thought that I might share my own opinion with respect to the current political climate and gun control. I posted a small opinion piece a few weeks ago and received mostly positive reviews, I would like to share it here and welcome any constructive feedback. I should point out, that I am not a professional blogger or writer. I simply write what's on my mind, and hope something strikes a chord with someone.

Mods please move if this is an inappropriate spot.
http://greenmountainninja.blogspot.c...ead-hands.html

Regards,

Robert
Old February 22, 2013, 03:03 PM   #2
sig220mwxxxx

I agree with most of your thoughts but I do know that not all felons have been convicted of violent crimes and that registration is a prelude to confiscation. While you don't think this way, there are many in our government that do and they are the ones proposing these laws. I personally don't care who owns a gun as long as we all can.
Old February 22, 2013, 05:28 PM   #3
Crossfire Arms, LLC

Well put Sir....I should have qualified my thoughts on Felons with guns. I agree that not all Felons are violent and appreciate your feedback! You make some excellent points, thank you!
Old February 22, 2013, 07:50 PM   #4
Warrior1256

I, too, agree with most of what you say. However I am against universal background checks. I believe this is just a sneaky way to bring in registration.
Old February 22, 2013, 08:01 PM   #5
eldermike

Good words. You need to change the word know to now in the next to last sentence.

I can see a need for background checks but I don't trust the entity that keeps the records. Thats enough reason for me to be against it.
Old February 22, 2013, 09:43 PM   #6
Crossfire Arms, LLC

Thank you Gentleman. Your responses have been very helpful....and your proofreading too!

I had not fully considered universal background checks as a precursor to registration. Very good point. I really appreciate your feedback.
Old February 23, 2013, 09:09 AM   #7
Webleymkv

While I agree with most of what you have to say, the Universal Background Checks is where our opinions part ways. While UBC's may seem like a relatively simple issue at first glance, it's actually a very complicated one with copious unintended, or perhaps intentionally unspoken, consequences. I wrote a rather long explanation of why I think UBC's are a bad idea not long ago so rather than re-post all of it, I'll just link the other thread:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=516231
Old February 23, 2013, 01:49 PM   #8
Crossfire Arms, LLC

Webley...

Your piece was thought-provoking and informative. It has given me a chance to reflect on my position regarding the universal background check. Great read, thank you!