The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 21, 2013, 12:00 PM   #376
Glenn E. Meyer

If you had mandatory NICS for private sales at gun shows and all state limits, like those in CA, NY, MA, etc., were voided - would that be a good deal?

Carry would be shall issue in all states (with a Fed. background NICS check). All currently under threat guns would be free of banning.

I might go for that - and I do understand that it is a shuffle on the slippery slope brink - back and forth on the edge.

Of course, no permanent registration from NICS.
Old February 21, 2013, 12:12 PM   #377
gc70

The longer we talk, the more people on our side are willing to discuss bartering more restrictions for some other relief. There has been absolutely no indication by the antis of any sort of willingness to negotiate a trade or exchange. While the antis have conceded they will not get everything they want, we have begun mentally preparing to accept more restrictions.
Old February 21, 2013, 12:41 PM   #378
JimDandy

Quote:
If you had mandatory NICS for private sales at gun shows and all state limits, like those in CA, NY, MA, etc., were voided - would that be a good deal?

Carry would be shall issue in all states (with a Fed. background NICS check). All currently under threat guns would be free of banning.

I might go for that - and I do understand that it is a shuffle on the slippery slope brink - back and forth on the edge.

Of course, no permanent registration from NICS.
I'm also grooving with most of that. National Carry permit... no bans, NICS check for all sales. A little more definition of when a loan becomes a gift/sale. Some leeway for family, and maybe friends close enough to be family....
Old February 21, 2013, 12:48 PM   #379
sigcurious

Quote:

Quote:
I'm also grooving with most of that. National Carry permit... no bans, NICS check for all sales. A little more definition of when a loan becomes a gift/sale. Some leeway for family, and maybe friends close enough to be family....
Hypothetically if this were to happen, do we have to point out the current Brady exemption for certain permits/licenses? I'd be less than pleased to have to start paying background check fees and waiting around for those in times like these.
Old February 21, 2013, 11:53 PM   #380
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
I think the point is being missed. They won't give us the latter. They won't give us anything. They're not interested in compromise, whatever the rhetoric. 1934, 1968, 1989, 1994...those were all about taking things from us without recompense.

Even if we could hammer out some sort of compromise agreement today, we'd only be postponing more "compromise" down the road. History shows that the anti-gun lobby can't be counted on to act honestly or honorably.
Old February 22, 2013, 12:21 AM   #381
rc

In California in about 1995 they passed a handgun safety act that made you show competency you knew how to handle a gun. This was introduced as a lifetime thing. Once you passed the test you were good to go for life buying guns cause you knew how to use them right.... Then about five years later the people saying this was a great idea didn't think it was enough. Now we have to take a safety test to buy a gun every five years because it expires. This means you have to pay the state additional taxes to prove again and again that you know how to use a gun. Then the tests started to get more tricky and the questions more stupid and focusing on obscure law to trip you up. All of these "reasonable" steps are all a means to an end. In the original california assault weapons ban that went national in 1994 it was "evil features" that caused a rifle to become an assault weapon. Now it just has to have a detachable magazine in the view of many California legislaters. Tomorrow it will be any gun that fires more than 1 round in 10 seconds...... As we saw in a recent multiple homicide in Southern california where a shotgun was the weapon used to kill multiple people over a long period of time, rate of fire and reload time was not even a factor in the multiple shooting as the perp went from location to location leaving bodies in his wake. People who were unarmed were carjacked and shot as he changed vehicles.

We are being backed into a corner by those who would abolish the second amendment one step at a time. They don't care how long it takes as long as they are making progress and the end result is the same. Only those with special government permission will be granted to have guns such as police and military. Farmers will be very limited on what they can use for rodent control, hunting in the traditional sense will be outlawed and ammunition will be tracked. All other guns will be prohibited.... That's what I see in my crystal ball if current trends continue unchecked.
Old February 22, 2013, 12:21 AM   #382
Mastiff

Look at how Chicago banned handguns. They passed a so-called "reasonable" handgun registration system, all handguns needed to be registered to be legal. It instantly became a handgun ban when they refused to let you register your handgun.
You can't trust these people an inch. You give them that inch, they will try to take a yard.
What are the facts? Again and again and again—what are the facts? —what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts! -Robert A Heinlein
Old February 22, 2013, 11:11 AM   #383
Glenn E. Meyer

The passage of the CCW permit in OR was predicated on a deal which had some stupid restriction of minimal consequence but gave us CCW then. The antis didn't realize what they lost.

My deal - if they couldn't see the loss for them - might be fun as NICS at shows might be OK to wipe out all the other restrictions.

I grant you that this wouldn't happen.

But if some guy who buys the one AR at Academy and then runs to the gun show to flip it to a sucker has to go through NICS, not a great loss. I'm particularly annoyed with flippers lately. One can't buy ammo because of all the ammo hogs who are just stashing it.

They will destroy competitors and classes pretty soon.