The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old January 5, 2012, 08:14 PM   #1
biologicole

I need help identifying JGA Karabiner

I recently bought a 22 single shot rifle. It's a JGA Karabiner and I need help identifying the model, age, and anything else I can learn about the rifle. It is missing the front sight which I will try to replace if anyone can tell me what is correct and suggest where I may be able to find any spare parts. Also, what is an approx. value?

Any help will be greatly appreciated !

Here's some details and pictures:

The barrel is marked JGA,,Original" Karabiner
Made in Germany
Cal. 22 long rifle
proofmark is a crown over N

Serial # 401272 on receiver

JGA is circled and stamped on the top of the receiver

The bolt is flat (spoon) and has the circled JGA stamped on it

It has a monte Carlo style stock with a Schnabel fore-end

It cocks by pulling back the bolt knob and also after when closing the bolt. When I open the bolt and eject the spent shell, I have to push the bolt handle forward and down. This last push forward cocks the rifle (the knob stays back in the cocked position).

The spent shell is extracted from the chamber by the the bottom half of the chamber face sliding rearward, pulling against the rim if the cartridge, and then a lever from under the action engages upward and ejects the brass.

The barrel is approx. 23 3/4 inches long

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old January 6, 2012, 08:39 AM   #2
gyvel

I have one identical to that except the bolt has a small stem with a knob on the end of it. Best I can calculate is that they come from ca. just before WWI or shortly after.
Old January 6, 2012, 11:12 AM   #3
PetahW

It was most likely made in the 1930s in Germany.

JGA was actually J. G Anshutz Germenwaffenwerk A G Zella-Mehlis/ Thur (Thurungia) - aka Anshtuz.

Karabiner = "carbine".

Prior to WWII, Germany was legally allowed to produce only .22's for civilians and they werent allowed to produce more than a certian amount of firearms for the military..

Many of the Karabiners were used as military trainers.

After WWII, during the US/Soviet Occupation of Germany, the destruction of all German guns was ordered - so many of the survivers were GI takeback/capture guns.

Old January 6, 2012, 12:46 PM   #4
mapsjanhere

Not quite, Germany was limited in the number of guns in military calibers, mostly 8x57, it could have under the Versailles treaty. Hunting weapons could be produced as long as they were not in military calibers, leading for example to many 8x57 guns rechambered in 8x60, and the popularity of the 7x64 round.

For the OP, there should be a set of proof marks under the barrel if you take it out of the stock. That will probably give you the date of manufacture.
Old January 6, 2012, 01:13 PM   #5
Jim Watson

The Crown N proof dates it to before the general use of Nazi eagle stamps in 1939. I have a 1911 catalog showing Mauser and FN single shots of the same general configuration but not JGA.

The "Made in Germany" and ".22 Long Rifle" indicate it was made for export to the US or other English speaking country.

It is old, was inexpensive, and is well used. I think finding an Anschutz front blade sight is pretty hopeless and not much worthwhile. I would trot right down to the gunsmith and have him put on a Marbles front sight of the correct height and call it good.
Old January 7, 2012, 12:01 PM   #6
biologicole

OK, I pulled the stock off. There is no other markings under the stock, but there is 272 stamped into the inside of the stock. These are the last three numbers of the serial number.

A Marbles front sight is a good idea but there really isn't a local gunsmith to help me. It's just me and my buddies in a shop with lots of tools. Is there any way I can determine the correct front sight height by myself and order a Marbles front sight? I'm sure we can machine the dovetail and make it fit.

Thanks Again
Old January 7, 2012, 02:24 PM   #7
Jim Watson

I dare say a strip of duct tape around the muzzle with a "flag" sticking straight up would serve as a temporary front sight. Shoot and trim until it shot to point of aim. A piece of cardboard in the flag would improve the temporary sight picture. Then order a Marbles (or Williams or Lyman) front sight of that height and mill or file the front dovetail to suit.
Old January 9, 2012, 02:53 AM   #8
gyvel

Quote:
Then order a Marbles (or Williams or Lyman) front sight of that height and mill or file the front dovetail to suit.
Absolutely DO NOT do that. If need be, file the base of the sight to fit the dovetail. DO NOT alter that little rifle in any way as they have more value than you might think.
Old January 12, 2012, 05:27 PM   #9
biologicole

Thanks, gyvel. I really don't plan to do any filing or alteration to the gun, I'll make the front sight fit the dovetail slot on the barrel. I have a front sight from a 10/22 I'm going to start out with...I just can't find it right now. I'm still trying to identify the the gun and I'd hate to make any modifications that would diminish whatever value it may have.
Old January 12, 2012, 11:58 PM   #10
gyvel

You're welcome.

As I stated earlier, mine is identical to yours with the exception of the bolt handle. Mine has the conventional knob at the end of the stem. My s/n is 3946xx, so the guns aren't that far apart. I don't know enough about Anschutz guns to know if they were numbered in series with other Anschutz products or in a series of their own. If that were the case there would be close to half a million of these little guys floating around and you just don't see that many.

The front sight on mine is a more or less conventional type with a relatively thin 2mm thick base. The center blade is also relatively short, and stands about 5mm tall from the top of the base. There is nothing unconventional about it and you can probably find something suitable on eBay that will approximate the "vintage" look.

The book Jim Watson refers to is the old "ALFA" catalog, a reprint of a ca. 1911 catalog of a major European arms dealer. The two guns he refers to look very similar to the Anschutz, but it is a very basic design.

The only other difference between yours and mine other than the bolt, is that mine is not marked "Made in Germany" and calibre is stamped as "6mm Flobert," which was, apparently, an early 20th century term for the .22 lr. (The bore actually mikes out to 5.5mm.)

If it helps you out at all, I paid $125.00 for mine at a Phoenix gun show about 10 years ago.

Also, if your bore is in good condition, they are crazy accurate.
Old February 27, 2012, 12:24 AM   #11
nyfirefighter357

I also have the same gun. Mine has the round bolt handle but is marked .22lr. Its been in my family for over 60 years and it is very accurate. I contacted the company about 25 yrs ago and was told they don't have any records pre-wwII due to Allied bombing campaigns.