The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 7, 2009, 03:06 PM   #1
Take_the_Liberty

New at Reloading and need recommendation

I just signed up very recently on this forum, mainly for Reloading information, and I don't know a thing about loading my own. I'm wanting to reload on a budget, so if every step of the reload process has to be done by hand...then I don't mind, and another thing is I'm only interested in reloading 2 calibers, 7.62x54 for my 91/30 Mosin and 223 Rem. for my DPMS AR-15. I don't have any dreams of shooting competition, I'm just wanting to reload for the coming hard times, anyway, I've been looking at LeePrecision products and they seem to have good deals and a decent reputation.

Would something like this be good for starters >
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=820810
and I know that I would have to buy a DIE for each caliber to go along with it, but what are "case length gauges" and how important are they? I will also buy me a small digital scale to go along with whatever reloading kit I buy just to have the added accuracy. Any other recommendations or accessories, remember..I'm just wanting to get started in this , a decent starter set-up if you will, thank you.
Old February 7, 2009, 03:14 PM   #2
Dr. Strangelove

Yes, that's a great starter kit.

Read the "Information for new reloaders" post at the top of this forum. It will answer many questions. Come back here with more questions after you have read the sticky.

Just re-read, I don't mean to sound rude, just that you'll get much of the basic info you need from that post.

Case length gauges allow to measure the length of the case to ensure that you are within safe limits. Skullandcrossbones is correct in his post below, a vernier caliper is more versatile, but Lee makes a case length gauge/trimmer that is very inexpensive and automatically trims your cases to a preset, safe length. I like the Lee gauges, some don't because you can't adjust the case length to your personal preference.

Last edited by Dr. Strangelove; February 7, 2009 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Sounded rude to the new guy
Old February 7, 2009, 03:20 PM   #3
SKULLANDCROSSBONES65

G'day Take_the_Liberty, Welcome to TFL. I have a similar kit, you will need to get caliber specific dies, case trimmer and shell holder. A vernier caliper would be better than a gauge as it has more versatility. Research lots and dont be afraid to ask questions.
Old February 7, 2009, 06:05 PM   #4
joe58

reloading

I have been reloading for some time.I have both reloading items in RCBS & Lee I find the lee products very good and never had a problem with them, there prices are down to earth and if you check the net. you will find them very very reasonable go to www.leeprecision.com .Try to get carb. dies they work great you do not have to lube the cases this is a real pain! on the 223 cal. too much lube and you will put dents in the neck area. I if I were you I would look arround for a case trimmer. When using the case trimmer you whant to size the case first before you trim them but I am sure you are aware of this I just had to put my 2 cents in.
Old February 7, 2009, 07:00 PM   #5
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

Welcome to TFL. Reloading is very easy, rewarding, and safe...as long as you take your time and do your research. Reloading manuals are a must. The more the better. Read them very thoroughly and take notes. Lee produces a great product for a great price. No one can deny this (c'mon...I dare ya!!). Lee does not make the BEST equipment. But, it is PERFECT for you, being interested in only 2 calibers. Their dies are great, too. Do a few searches in this forum and look up reloading for .223. It is a little trickier and time consuming than reloading for bolt rifles (autoloaders require Full length sizing, case trimming, chamfer each time you trim, etc to reset the brass back to factory specs so it will function more reliably). This is only the tip of the iceberg....but I think Lee makes a die set called RGB (really great buy) that includes a FL sizer and bullet seating die. This is great for .223 being shot from an autoloader. In addition to this set, I would (and I do) use the Lee factory crimp die. This will help prevent possible bullet setback as the rounds are chambered. I would go with the deluxe rifle die set + the lee factory crimp die for the 762x54r. This way you can fl size your brass initially, then after the first firing you will have the option to fl size again (which will work the brass more and shorten case life) or you can neck size only with the lee collet die (which is included in the lee deluxe rifle die set). This set is great because it gives you flexibility ( it contains the fl sizer, neck sizer, and bullet seating die). Neck sizing only increases case life and accuracy (because your brass is fire-formed and fits your chaamber perfectly...and you want to keep it that way[in bolt rifles, not autoloaders]). It wouldn't hurt to crimp these rounds too, especially if you are gonna load up the internal magazine. A good crimp will keep the bullets in the rounds in the magazine in place during the recoil of the rifle. Well ,I think I have put in my .03 cents. Good luck and don't be afraid to ask questions!

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~