The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 17, 2009, 12:14 PM   #1
tyrajam

Written permission

I'm thinking that I want to start using written permission forms for the private land I hunt. I never have before, but I'd like to head off any problems before they happen. I've had concerned neighbors ask me if I knew where I was or if I had permission to be there, and while I always like to use the opportunity to introduce myself and get to know them, I think having something in writing might make everyone feel better. I've looked around online but I havn't found any forms that look like what I want.

How many of you guys always carry written permission when hunting someone elses land, and is there a generic form you use?
Old November 17, 2009, 12:30 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Written permission is required in florida but I have never been asked for it... I have made them up by modifying them from others to suit my needs but they won't be of help to you as they are all about my hunting and trapping hogs...

To really help yourself get the permission, include "release from responsibility" for the land owner as well. This needs to include the wording that you, as a hunter/outdoorsman, understand the inherent risk of any outdoor activity, up to and including hunting.

Brent
Old November 17, 2009, 12:43 PM   #3
Pahoo

In one of wooden area I hunt in, I carry written permission from the land owner. I use to work with the man who owns the property and he now lives about 150 miles away and seldom in the area. His brother lives on the old homestead and is kind of "not so nice Fella". Was directed not to bother asking his permission but if he showed up, just show him the letter giving me permission. Gave me second thoughts so I did go up to the house. He was not there but his wife said it was okay and that she would tell him. No form, just a letter.

Be Safe !!!
Old November 17, 2009, 01:20 PM   #4
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I've never had written permission that wasn't an actual LEASE. I don't know, I don't take kindly to busy bees. If you're not on THEIR property then they have no right to even question you. If they said "Do you have permission to be here?" I would answer "Yes, do you?" If they question further then they can call the land owner.

Just this year I've been dealing with a guy who thinks that it's his duty to keep unauthorized people off of the land that I hunt. He doesn't even know the landowner and, ironically, regularly goes on the land without permission. He asked me where I was hunting and what I would shoot because he " don't want any of MY small bucks getting shot." MY, as in HIS, on someone else's land! That very afternoon I shot a spike horn, out of spite as much as anything else.
Old November 17, 2009, 01:29 PM   #5
hoytinak

Here's a good link to show the permission laws of your state: http://realestate.findlaw.com/trespa...espassing.html
Old November 17, 2009, 02:17 PM   #6
DiscoRacing

here if you have any confrontation with any conservation officer... permission has to be in writing .... or the ticket will be in his writing..
Old November 17, 2009, 02:45 PM   #7
jgcoastie

Any letter of a memo-type that you can type up in Microsoft Word should suffice. It should include some of the following information.

Landowner
ex: Mr./Mrs. John/Jane Doe

Authorized users (you, and whether guests are authorized and how many)
ex: Mr./Mrs. Your Name
Guests are authorized up to 03 guests at any given time.

Location of the land
ex: 475 Farmer's County Road
or latitude/longitude coordinates of four corners of property

Size of the land
ex: 240 acres

Effective dates for your authorized use (start and end date)
ex: Beginning: 17 November 2009 Ending: 16 November 2010

Text stating authorization for user/s listed above.
ex: I, (landowner), hereby give (your name) unrestricted access and permission to use my land stated above for sporting purposes to include hunting, fishing, trapping, etc. in accordance with the game regulations of this state.

Landowners release from liability.
ex: By signing below, (your name), and any/all of guests thereof, are claiming full responsibility for damages to my property caused by their use. Furthermore, by signing below, (your name) releases (landowner) of any responsibility for personal injury, personal property damage, death, or fines/fees resulting from illegal activity from any endeavor pursued on my property.

Landowner signature:
ex: I understand and agree to the guidelines listed above. X__________ Date:______

User signature:
ex: I understand and agree to the conditions of this land usage permit. X________ Date:_______

Print two copies and have them signed in front of a Notary Public and have the Notary sign and seal the documents.

Make copies and keep copies in your truck and in your wallet with your hunting license. keep the original at home with all your other important papers.

That should be about all you need.
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old November 17, 2009, 03:17 PM   #8
Pahoo

Quote:
Just this year I've been dealing with a guy who thinks that it's his duty to keep unauthorized people off of the land that I hunt. He doesn't even know the landowner and, ironically, regularly goes on the land without permission.
In our state, he can be turned in for hunter harassment. Turn the tables on him and see how he likes it. Oh course this won't help the overall situtation but all to often, a bit of push-back is in order. If we have it coming, so be it and get on with it. If not, push-back and the conversation need not continue.

Be Safe !!!
Old November 17, 2009, 06:48 PM   #9
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

This might help:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=477471
Old November 17, 2009, 07:03 PM   #10
Dragon55

Tennessee's

Of course it's all messed up because it is a PDF file on the Tennessee Wildlife (TWRA) website. What's good about it is the landowner retains part of it as well.
It has a lot of info that should satisfy most citizens and enforcement officers as well.

You can check it out on the TWRA site.

HUNTER/LANDOWNER PERMISSION CARD
Sheriff Dept. Phone # ____________________________
Hunter’s Name _______________________________________
Wildlife Officer Phone # __________________________ Address ____________________________________________
City ________________________ State _____ Zip __________
HELP STOP POACHING
Phone ( ) __________________________________
Report a hunting violation-call toll free:
Vehicle _____________________________________________
Region I ............. 1-800-831-1173
Make Lic. # Color
Region II ............ 1-800-255-8972
This card courtesy of the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency, Tennes-
Region III ........... 1-800-241-0767 see Farm Bureau Federation and Tennessee Wildlife Federation.
Region IV........... 1-800-831-1174
Landowner Copy
7:00 A.M. - Midnight, Seven Days a Week
HUNTER /LANDOWNER I. D. CARD Hunter Copy
Hunter’s Name _______________________________________
GOOD SPORTSMEN:
1. Respect the landowner’s property, hunting only in Address ____________________________________________
owner-designated areas. City ________________________ State _____ Zip __________
2. Assume liability for their actions and personal safety. I, the undersigned, hereby grant permission to
3. Respect nature, taking every precaution against litter- ___________________________________________________
to hunt on my property on the following dates:
ing and fire.
precautions and the traditions of good sportsmanship.
Old November 17, 2009, 09:06 PM   #11
DRice.72

I have some friends who hunt a private farm. They have written permission form the land owner. This has become very important in the last couple of years. There is a hunting club that has keased the adjoining farm. The farm my friends hunt has applied for and received some kind of permission to treat deer as a nusiance animal. That allows my friends to hunt there year round. As a matter of fact that is the requiment of the farmer. They have to take every deer they see. He wants no trophy hunting. He has watched them hunt too. Anyway the access rd my friends use is also the access for the hunting club. The members of the club have parked on the farmers land near my friends blinds and tree stands. Words have been exchanged as well. The only thing my friends have had on their side is that farmer and copies of the written permission they carry. They have had to call the police more than once when the hunt club has been tresspassing. They haven't brought the farmer in because he has enough headaches with the deer as it is. He has talked about getting state wildlife officials to trap or poison the deer. So if it becomes a headache to let someone hunt, then he may just say no to the hunt and poison them. I have seen their permission and it just a letter that states the people who have premission to hunt the number of guests they are allowed to have. When they can hunt, they also carry the papers that allow the farmer to remove the deer year round, he put their names on it some how as the people he has "hired" to remove them? (I don't know how that works). The letter also removes any liability from the farmer.
Old November 22, 2009, 08:03 AM   #12
roy reali

Great State

Here in Nevada you can hunt any land that is not posted. The land owner can ask you to leave, but there are no legal consequences. Being that the majority of our state is public land, who cares?
Old November 22, 2009, 09:10 AM   #13
Uncle Buck

Peetzakilla: I usually agree with your posts, but this one I have to partly disagree with. I have had 'busy-bodies' call me to say there are people on my land and when I am not home, they will write sown the license plate number of any cars that are parked on my short access drive to the farm.
We are all rural folks here and tend to look out for each other. If you do not see your neighbor outside for a couple of days, you call and ask if everything is OK. Too many farms and private homes have been broken into around here.
But once you introduce yourself and the guy knows who you are and that you have permission (Usually by saying the landowners name) they will go about their own business. I appreciate my neighbors looking out for me.
But I do like the fact that you shot that spike. I probably would have done the same thing.
Old November 22, 2009, 09:10 AM   #14
shortwave

Legally, in Ohio written permission is required to hunt private land with rather steep penalties. I for one am glad of it. The only problem is it doesn`t seem to be inforced unless a specific call is made to DNR/LEO by landowner.
Old November 23, 2009, 02:59 AM   #15
sc928porsche

Looking at the link for state laws, I notice nothing was listed for california. Their computer must not have had enough room to post the volumes.
Old November 23, 2009, 07:48 AM   #16
churchill

here in england its a must to carry letters of permission and have that land cleared and written on your fac...
if not and you stray on someone elses land you run the risk of imprisonment a fine or shot by the angry farmer..

unless your a good poacher...
http://www.rapid7owners.com/forums/index.php?