The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 31, 2008, 02:15 AM   #1
jayw81

Beretta 87T vs Buck Mark Contour 5.5

Hi guys,

First post and all so hi from oz

I'm wanting to get started in the wide world of pistol shooting and want to get a .22 as my first pistol. Intended use is target shooting and generally becoming accustomed to firing a pistol. I've read a lot on the forums and handled a few guns in my local shop, but unfortunately havent had a chance to fire anything other than the 87T. I want to get something that is accurate, reliable and comfortable.

I loved using the 87T but found the handle a bit small for my hand. Does anyone know if orthopedic grips are available for this gun and if they are available in australia?

The other gun i particularly liked (not having fired it yet mind you) was the Buck Mark Contour 5.5. The handle felt great in my hand, the controls were well placed for my thumb and i liked the top rail as i'm intending on fitting a Bushnell Trophy 73-0134 to it. Its a good AU$300 cheaper than the 87T but i'm wondering how it compares in terms of accuracy, reliability, ease of cleaning, etc.

Links to the two pistols are as follows to avoid any confusion as to which models I am talking about:

Beretta 87T:
http://www.berettaaustralia.com/inde...4&idc=2&ids=33

Browning Buck Mark Contour 5.5:
http://www.browning.com/products/cat...51&type_id=421

Any help, feedback or experiences from those who have used and abused these pistols will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Jay
Old December 31, 2008, 08:46 AM   #2
joe1347

For target shooting, the Ruger MKIII512 (steel frame) shown below might be a better inexpensive choice simply for the reason that aftermarket parts (e.g., target grips) are widely available. Of course if you have more than $1000 to spend, then the European .22's certainly are the better choice.

Old December 31, 2008, 11:41 AM   #3
Old Gaffer

Greetings Jay,

As you're looking for target shooting and generally becoming accustomed to firing a pistol, I can recommend nothing higher than the Browning Buckmark.

I started out with a Buckmark Hunter not qtuite two years ago, and the $300 US I spent for that pistol was one of the best expenditures of discretionary funds I've ever made. I shoot NRA conventional Outdoor Pistol (bullseye) almost exclusively, and shoot at both 50 yards and 25 yards. I've shot as high as 832 out of a possible 900 with my Buckmark, and was regularly shooting in the 820s with it.

I've since upgraded to a High Standard Victor, but I keep the Buckmark in the range box as a loaner for the occasional new shoote that shows up.

Given that it's $300 AU less expensive than you other choice, I'd definitely get the Buckmark, and take that $300 and put it into ammo and range time.

And if you go over to rimfirecentral.com, and look at the Browning forum, you'll find a plethora of Good Ideas about cheap and safe ways to improve the Buckmark. Specifically read anything be Chim and Heggis (from whom I've learned a lot) and perhpas give my posts a peek - I'm Old Gaffer there too.

All the best,
Rob

p.s. - when you DO get your gun, pictures are required
Old January 3, 2009, 05:30 AM   #4
jayw81

hey Gaffer,

Thanks for the info, certainly food for thought

Does anyone else have any opinions regarding either choice of pistol?

I'm leaning towards the BuckMark at the moment for sevaral reasons. One because the lower price allows me to purchase a decent scope and end up paying the same as for the 87T alone. Also, after looking at rimfirecentral i'm very intrigued by the heggis spring flip procedure. Unfortunately it will be 6 months before I can purchase one due to australian legislation... grrrr

Tags
87t , beretta , buck mark , comparison , contour