The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 28, 2008, 01:26 PM   #1
finz50

Any reloaders in VA (Peninsula area)

I live in Yorktown and have considered starting do reload myself with ammo prices giong up, with no end in sight. Does anyone in Hampton Roads/Wiliamsburg/Norfolk area reload? I have no idea where to start and it seems confusing as hell to me to be honest.

I was hoping to kinda watch someone that plans on doing some reloading in the future, maybe on a weekend. I mainly want to learn the basics, and maybe go through the process myself to figure out if I really want to do it. I'm trying to justify the costs (mostly up front), but have no real clue how to start. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Old March 28, 2008, 05:37 PM   #2
Sevens

Sorry, I'm not close enough to help. And I agree that it's a terrific idea to find someone that does it to familiarize yourself with the operation-- so I hope you can find someone nearby.

In the mean time, however, I think there's a lot you can learn from a good reloading manual, and a lot you can learn from this forum right here. Start by reading the "sticky" topic at the top of the forum, and ask any questions right here in this thread. For a loading manual, visit a gun store, a book store, or my personal favorite-- the local library. Anything from Hornady, Lyman, Speer, or the one by Richard Lee are fine places to start.

At it's most basic, it's only four parts and you'd be surprised at how simply it really is. The piece of brass (which you should have been saving up in piles for years to this point!), the primer, the powder charge and the bullet. The tools you buy give you the leverage you need to put the piece of brass back in to it's original size/shape, pop out the old primer, slide in a new primer, add a proper powder charge, and place a bullet in the end of it.

That's basic, obviously, but it's not difficult to make safe, decent ammuntion, and it works best to start at a slow pace and keep tabs on what you are doing to ensure your safety.

Feel free to ask questions, no matter how simple you might think those questions are.
Old March 28, 2008, 05:43 PM   #3
CrustyFN

I have heard that the NRA has reloading classes in some of the bigger cities, you might want to look into that.
Rusty
Old March 30, 2008, 07:02 PM   #4
TEDDY

instuctions

Lyman and RCBS have videos on reloading.also look on Lees site they have complete pictures of reloading.
also get Lees loading book as it is quite good.-----
Old April 7, 2008, 08:18 PM   #5
glw

Hi Finz50,

Are you still looking for someone near Yorktown about reloading? If you are, send me an email. I live in the Tidewater area.

Glenn