The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 18, 2007, 11:30 AM   #1
captain54

Hornady LnL question

New to using the lock and load. One thing I noticed is that you can not see into the primer tube to see how many primers are left. Other than counting the rounds as they are loaded, has anyone come up with any good ideas to make keeping track of the primers easier? (And before all the dillon people jump in, I know that they have a low primer warning for theirs, but I still went with the Hornady)

Thanks
Old May 18, 2007, 04:02 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

If your Hornady primer tube is open at the top like the Dillon, you may be able to adapt the Dillon device to it. I believe you can get them separately. Basically, it is just a rod that sits on the primers and chases them down. It has a collar at the top that depresses a buzzer switch when it gets low enough. The next time you run out of primers, drop a skinny dowel rod down in and mark it a couple of primer thickenses below level with the top of the tube. Watch it chase the primers down and add more when it gets near the mark. The only drawback to this compared with the warning buzzer is that if you don't watch, the dowel will be grabbed and break off and maybe clog up the primer feed.

Nick
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old May 19, 2007, 12:07 AM   #3
Luciano

Get a thin dowel that fits in the tube,slide it inside through the upper end until you see a 1/16 of it coming out of the other end,roll electric tape so that it won't go any further,paint 1 1/2 inch or so above the tape with a red marker,cut and dispose of the rest.Voila,it will help feed primers better too and won't clog anything.
Old May 19, 2007, 12:27 AM   #4
mc223

Now they all want to be like a Dillon.
Old May 19, 2007, 01:35 AM   #5
ob_1jr

I have a dillon, but I usually decide how many I am going to load before I start and load that many primers in to the primer feed tube. I have used the low primer alarm, but usually I am so into reloading at the time, it startles me when it goes off. But, the dowel thing would work good too.
Old May 19, 2007, 07:43 PM   #6
TEDDY

Primer Count

we have two bair loaders in my club.I was director for 10 yrs.I used brassing rod for primer tubes when empty rod dropped in cup and stopped machine.EMPTY.worked great
Old May 21, 2007, 01:20 PM   #7
Waldog

Go to sewing/fabric store. Get ALUMINUM knotting needles; about $2.00 a pair. Grind off the sharp point and insert into the primer tube. Works like a champ. Also seems to help feed those troublesome last couple of primers in the tube.
Old May 21, 2007, 08:35 PM   #8
roc1

I adapted the Dillon to my Hornady with no problem in fact it stops the slide when there is only one primer left after I set it up.I also made the Dilon roller handle fit it as well works great also.I do own a Dillon press so no one can say just buy a Dillon.
roc1
Old May 22, 2007, 06:48 AM   #9
captain54

Roc1,
did not even think about the roller handle. How hard is that to adapt? It was a tough choice deciding between a dillon and the LnL. They both had features that I liked. Now I am trying to get the best of both worlds.
Old May 23, 2007, 11:30 AM   #10
gary2905

Capt.
I have a LnL and use a piece of small threaded rod that I put a dab of epoxy on the end to "soften" the tip and a red marker on the rod where it is down to the last 2 or 3 primers- I simply load 100 primers in the tube and place the threaded rod down the tube on top of the last primer and VOILA I have a "out of primer" system.
Works like a charm.
Love the Lock n Load

Gary
Old May 25, 2007, 10:47 PM   #11
roc1

Captain54 it was really easy just bent it to fit closer to the machine for better fit and off to the races.It had to be heated and repainted but no problem.It works great.
roc1
Old April 5, 2008, 04:51 PM   #12
btefft

All I did was cut the bottom straight portion out of a clothes hanger, make me a red flag out of electrical tape to wrap around top. I just drop it down the tube on top of the primers. It works good for me. I also think the added weight helps when the primer supply runs low.

I'm still going to look into the RCBS Low Primer Warning device, part # 88879. I saw a pic of one on MidwayUSA, but the best price I found for it was on Midsouth Shooters Supply. I think it will work on any primer tube.

Hack