The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 30, 2000, 11:10 AM   #1
westcangunner

Guys, maybe you can help me.

I got a neighbors pre 64 model 70 30-06. I was asked to develop and handload some ammo for him (something I do alot of). I was told that this rifle had not been fired for at least 10 years and by the amount of dust and spider webs in the scabbard I would agree. I stripped and cleaned the firearm and remounted the scope and properly bore sighted it as Ive done many many times. I loaded 10 rounds, his brass, full re-size, trimed to specs, known starting load (2600 fps) went to the bench and started to launch lead downrange. Fired 3 at 100 yard target and checked... Hmmmm no hits... on 8 1/2 X 11 target. So I re-boresite the rifle, and put up a larger sighting in target. Launch 3 more at target and get one hit low and left. Change POA to upper right and launch final 4, NO HITS !! Re-load 10 more and put VERY large target up (plain white paper 48 x 48) I launch 3 at the center.. 12 inch group shows up really low and left. So I adjust the scope to move the point of aim about 15 inch right and 15 inch up and launch 3 more, the group moves to near center of target but is 14 to 16 inches, and still a bit low and left, so I fire the final 4 and same thing, this thing couldnt hit a barn door. I suspect the scope (4 power Leopold, cheappy rings that clamp on one side and tighten on the other side) Changed the scope and mounts to a known good setup, loaded 10 more, re-boresighted the rifle and carried on with the waste of ammo. Same thing happened group moved down to low and left and stayed paper plate sized, adjusted the scope again, and group moved back up but stayed at 14 to 16 inches.

Any Ideas what I should be looking for, the barrel doesnt appear to be bent, the action is tightened to the stock. Could it be a headspace or a throat erosion problem? How many thou could a barrel be bent for this to happen??

Thanks in advance

WCG

Old October 30, 2000, 03:02 PM   #2
BBBBill

Crown & bedding OK???? Action screws too loose or tight?
Old October 30, 2000, 05:13 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

BBBill has suggested the most likely problems. I will go really far out and ask if you are sure the rifle is .30-'06, regardless of markings. That rifle was a favorite for reboring to .35 Whelan, and the results you see sound almost like an oversize bore.

Jim