The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 4, 2002, 09:17 AM   #1
JimFromFL

Mossberg 590DA model question

Looking to purchase a Mossberg 590 but have a few questions.

The DA stands for double action. What exactly does this mean?

Also, the price for the 590DA is about $270 with ghost ring sights. Is this the going price?
Old December 4, 2002, 10:54 AM   #2
buzz_knox

The DA means that the hammer is cocked and released by a single motion (i.e. the trigger being pulled). Single action (SA) means that the hammer is cocked prior to the trigger being pulled, and the trigger is used to release the hammer and thus fire the weapon. With the 590DA, they wanted to duplicate the trigger action of most police sidearms, which are DA. Thus, the shotgun's trigger now cocks and fires the weapon, assuming that it is chambered. The result is a heavier trigger pull and the relative illusion of enhanced safety and weapon system commonality. As for the going price, that's not horrible.
Old December 4, 2002, 01:30 PM   #3
JimFromFL

While doing some more research, I found that I actually asked this same question about 6 months ago. (Duh)

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...ighlight=590DA

I just so happened to come across one for what a thought was a great price which prompted me to ask about the DA again.

Based on the info from the link it does not appear to be worth it even for that price.
Old December 5, 2002, 10:08 AM   #4
mons-meg

That is a great price for a 590 in general, but I will also chime in and say go for the regular 590A1 and skip the DA.