The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 14, 2013, 02:40 AM   #1
dakota.potts

Pulling to the right on double action trigger

I have a double action CZ 75 BD. I was doing some dry fire practice today with snap caps and putting a coin (a dollar coin to be specific) on the top sight and practicing trigger pull. I noticed that I could always keep the coin on during the first pull but not the second. the gun fires in double action with snap caps obviously so I don't work on the single action pull much because that's already beautiful with this gun.

Anyways, when I took the coin off and looked down the sights, I noticed that I pulled slightly to the right pulling the trigger. I could take up the slack and get it to half-cock fine, but the extra force to pull the trigger pulled my front sight to the right regardless of how slow I pulled. It wasn't too drastic, my front sight remained mostly in between the back two, but it was a noticeable pull to the left.

How do I fix this? Is this just a strength issue?
Old June 14, 2013, 05:43 AM   #2
rebs

It could be that you have too much finger on the trigger. What part of your finger is on the trigger, the tip, first knuckle or more ?
Old June 14, 2013, 07:55 AM   #3
Rifleman1776

Normal for a beginner. With practice you will no longer be pulling to the right. If the action is too strong it will continue to happen. A trigger/spring tune up can help. Just using the gun will help as things 'wear in'. I like to use a teflon based lube with new pistols. I believe the parts acquire a teflon film that reduces drag and improves feel and slickers up the action.
Old June 14, 2013, 11:06 PM   #4
dakota.potts

I was using my first knuckle but I knew that was a bad habit and instead started using only the pad of my first finger.
Old June 15, 2013, 08:43 AM   #5
g.willikers

Is this happening with a one handed grip or two handed grip?
If it's two handed, then maybe it's a grip problem, more than the trigger finger.
Old June 15, 2013, 09:18 AM   #6
Evan Thomas

Dakota, are you absolutely sure that this gun fits your hand correctly? You might want to take a look at this page of pax' website -- it has some good information about making sure you can get the right grip, especially for people with smaller hands.
Old June 15, 2013, 08:25 PM   #7
SgtLumpy

Quote:
I was using my first knuckle but I knew that was a bad habit and instead started using only the pad of my first finger.
I have always shot with the crease in my 1st finger knuckle joint.

Everyone's hands and fingers are a little different.

Sgt Lumpy
Old June 15, 2013, 08:32 PM   #8
tomrkba

The Gun Digest Book of the Revolver contains quite a bit of advice on how to manage the double action trigger and check a gun's fit to your hand.
Old June 18, 2013, 08:14 PM   #9
FireForged

what you perceive as a problem sitting in your living room with snap caps may not even be a problem. What is happening at the range?
Old June 18, 2013, 10:34 PM   #10
dakota.potts

At the range I tend to shoot in an evenly distributed circle around my target, leading me to believe I am flinching or tensing up. On the double action trigger pull, if I decide to pull and I don't have enough pressure to get it to break past the final stage, I still feel that little "spark" in my brain that tells me of danger or excitement. I actually tend to have better accuracy with the double action. Something about taking the time on the long, slow trigger pull seems to help me.

EDIT: If there is a pattern to my shooting, it is usually up (haven't figured that out) or to the right (same as with the snap caps)