The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 18, 2005, 11:52 PM   #1
tazlittleking

Newbie: getting a holster thinking shoulder

This is my first post. My wife and I ride quads in southern Arizona and have seen illegals a few times. We know that some of these illegals can be dangerous which got us thinking of getting a gun. Plus our atv safety instructor highly suggested it!

After trying a few guns from friends, etc. It turns out we really enjoy shooting them. So we purchased a Ruger 357 revolver and a Browning Buck Mark 22 pistol. The 357 revolver is for the defensive frame of mind and the 22 for cheap fun shooting.

Anyways, we would like to holster both of these while we ride our quads. My thinking is that a shoulder holster would be much better since there is a lot of body movement when riding. Although, I have never even tried a holster on.

Would you please share some thoughts on this. Will a $40.00 shoulder holster from Sports Authority be good? Do you suggest another? Is shoulder the way to go? Any of your thoughts would be much appreciated especially since I am new. Thanks!
Old July 20, 2005, 12:39 AM   #2
Buzzard

IMHO, it takes time to get used to a shoulder holster, I would think a good side holster would work well, when I ride off road I wear my .45 in a fobus holster and it does fine.
this is just my opinion......
Old July 20, 2005, 12:55 AM   #3
BAtech

I Agree. My shoulder holster is somewhat uncomfortable, and would probably be even more so while out riding. Gotta admit that they look cool though. May want to think about getting a CCW. Probably going to get pretty dusty while out riding, plus if it is just you and your wife the element of surprise would be a +.
Old July 20, 2005, 01:38 AM   #4
BillCA

First and foremost, if you'll be riding ATV's over those lumps, bumps, dips and creeks, get a quality holster that holds the gun in the holster tightly. A close fit means the gun won't "walk" out of the holster during riding if the retention strap unsnaps.

I'd suggest a strong-side holster with a thumb-break strap for extra retention when riding ATVs. I'm sure you'd hate to run across illegal activitiy of any kind only to find that your Ruger is 200 yards behind you on the trail!

Shoulder holsters that are comfortable for a long time are not cheap. Easily $110+ for something you can actually wear for hours with a gun in it.

If you do decide on a shoulder holster find one with a tie-down strap between your holster and belt. This will keep the gun from beating you in the ribs and under the arm while riding.
Old July 20, 2005, 09:48 PM   #5
tazlittleking

Wow! I am glad I posted on here. Thanks for your advice. Definitely will get a side holster.

Since I am here. Anyone have a suggestion for side holster for a Ruger GP-100 w/ 4" barrel? Is leather better?

Thanks!