The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 26, 2009, 01:56 AM   #26
MuscleGarunt

What can the Redding do that the Lee can not.

Well, the Redding can not be a piece of junk, something the Lee has trouble with.
Old June 26, 2009, 02:52 AM   #27
Sport45

Ahhh, now I understand.
Old June 26, 2009, 11:49 AM   #28
snuffy

Quote:
What can the Redding do that the Lee can not.
That's easy. The redding can't load 50 45-70's in 20 minutes, as accurately as the lee classic turret if at all. Second, the lee is lighter, while being more rigid than the redding.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old June 26, 2009, 11:54 AM   #29
Dustin0

LEE Classic Turret Press with an autodisk. I have one for my 45 and love it. Its fast and easy to use.
Old June 26, 2009, 01:24 PM   #30
marcodo

Love my Redding!
Old June 26, 2009, 03:19 PM   #31
jaguarxk120

I use a Texan Turret press, how old don't know, works like new and has seven stations made of cast iron and steel. When I run out of options on the Texan I move to the Hollywood Universal, 12 stations no problems.
Old June 26, 2009, 04:51 PM   #32
exbluelight

Snuffy... I agree with cast being better, but I was looking at the handgun ammo part of it. I have not had a problem with it for that purpose. Can I redeem myself with this combo from Cabela's for 189.99, in stock (it looks like it has everthing you mentioned in your post. They even thought of the auto disc riser, which i think I saw on your setup.)

Lee Classic Turret Press Reloading Kit
You won't find a more versatile, solidly built automatic press for a price this low anywhere. The long stroke permits work on rifle cases longer than 3" using the automatic index. Deactivate the auto index to work with even larger cases, including .50 BMG. The kit comes with a Classic Turret Press, large and small primer feeders, and a Lee Pro Auto-Disc Powder Measure with four measuring discs. You also get an Auto Disc Riser for convenient use of other brands of dies with extended adjusting screws, and a Lee Rifle Charging Die for small-capacity rifle cases. The Lee Safety Scale, the only scale that can never get out of adjustment, reads to the nearest 1/20 grain. Once set up, this kit has all you need to turn out a round with a couple of pulls of the handle except cartridge components and dies.
Old June 26, 2009, 04:53 PM   #33
bpratl

I also have and been using a Texan press for 48 years and is as good as new.

Bob
Old June 26, 2009, 07:10 PM   #34
jaguarxk120

What I like about the Texan is the solid feel when running case's through it or rotating the turret. If I have any really heavy duty stuff, that go's to the RCBS A-2. Quality really shines doesn't it.
Old June 26, 2009, 09:38 PM   #35
Luciano

What is the difference between Lee and Redding? While they both accomplish the same thing, Redding has almost no detectable turret movement when sizing even the biggest rifle cases. Robust, precise turret movement, NO SLACK, no indexing problems. Is there a realy big difference? No... but a perfectionist will be dissapointed with Lee! q.e.d.
Old June 27, 2009, 05:49 AM   #36
CrustyFN

Quote:
Luciano:
What is the difference between Lee and Redding? While they both accomplish the same thing, Redding has almost no detectable turret movement when sizing even the biggest rifle cases. Robust, precise turret movement, NO SLACK, no indexing problems. Is there a realy big difference? No... but a perfectionist will be dissapointed with Lee! q.e.d.
The Lee has very little play in the turret head, it has to in order to auto index. It doesn't make any difference that I have seen as all the ammo I make for four calibers all have a OAL within .002 of where I want it to be. It has been a very consistent press. I can make 200 rounds per hour at a comfortable pace hour after hour, can the Redding do that? I ask because I have never used one but have heard from most people that have that they aren't much faster than a single stage. After all who wants to load pistol ammo at 50 rounds per hour?

Rusty
Old June 27, 2009, 05:53 AM   #37
CrustyFN

Quote:
Redding T-7 turret ...
Many levels bellow...
LEE Turret press... Nope I'am not kidding, is just what I truly believe.
Luciano I'm curious what you didn'tlike about the Lee classic turret that you used?

Rusty
Old June 27, 2009, 09:18 AM   #38
billcarey

Quote:
I can make 200 rounds per hour at a comfortable pace hour after hour, can the Redding do that? I ask because I have never used one but have heard from most people that have that they aren't much faster than a single stage. After all who wants to load pistol ammo at 50 rounds per hour?

Rusty
The people who tell you a redding turret isn't much faster than a single stage are from another planet...they're the same ones who say a lyman turret isn't much faster. The redding is American made and will do 150+ hr pistols easy. It holds 7 dies and there is nothing to break, tweak, wear out, flex and no plastic. You can load 2 complete pistol calibers (3 die with measure on powder thru and auto prime feed) without changing turret heads...or 3 rifle. There's more but I'll stop. The redding is pure quality and you pay for it.

Also, different strokes for different folks...speed isn't important to everyone. Even though my lyman turret can crank 150hr (180 if you really want to) I actually enjoy reloading slowly and don't enjoy (or need) churning volume out for the next session. My pace is well under 150 because I choose so. The reason I have a turret is because I don't like batch loading and my dies stay put for yrs without touching them, including the powder measure on top. It seems to be a concept some can't grasp but there are people out there who have legit reasons for buying different brand presses.

bc

Last edited by billcarey; June 27, 2009 at 05:04 PM.
Old June 27, 2009, 10:38 AM   #39
CrustyFN

Quote:
The people who tell you a redding turret isn't much faster than a single stage are from another planet...they're the same ones who say a lyman turret isn't much faster. The redding is American made and will do 150+ hr pistols easy.
Thanks Bill, that's why I asked. I don't have any experience with that press. Lee is also made in America.

Quote:
It holds 7 dies and there is nothing to break, tweak, wear out, flex and no plastic.
There is nothing to tweak or flex on the classic turret either. The turret is supported completely around the outside of the turret. I have been loading on one for three years and haven't had any trouble with a plastic part yet. The one that most people have trouble with cost 50 cents to replace.

Quote:
Also, different strokes for different folks...speed isn't important to everyone.
I agree. I could load quite a bit faster on my classic turret but I don't like to rush either. Just because the Lee will load at a faster pace doesn't mean you have to, but for somebody that does it's a great feature.
Quote:
It seems to be a concept some can't grasp but there are people out there who have legit reasons for buying different brand presses.
I agree, I never said not to buy a different brand press I just gave my experience with the classic turret. I believe just about any press made will make great ammo but it won't fit everybody's needs. I get a real kick out of seeing people post about how cheap the CT is so it can't be any good, it has plastic parts so it can't be any good, it's made by Lee so it can't be any good and 99% of them have never used a Lee press and don't have the first clue.
Old June 27, 2009, 12:12 PM   #40
snuffy

Redding t-7 turret, $314.99 @ midway

Lee classic turret, $94.99 @ midway.

220 bucks difference. Redding is a special order at midway, 30 day wait. Lee is available at this time, may not be tomorrow.

When we talk about rate per hour of the various presses, we, or at least I am, talking about having all the supplies set up next to the press, ready to commence loading. All the powder, primers, cases, bullets and something to put completed rounds into. As well as having the dies set and the powder measure set.

Bill, I won't claim bee ess on your claim of 150 rounds/hour on your redding. BUT I would appreciate knowing the sequence for loading one round. The midway site says the primer system is "smart" priming arm. In your post you said automatic priming system. I see no reference to a auto primer feed for the redding on the midway site. Also, who's powder through expander do you use and what powder measure?

The OP is probably shocked to see the color war he started by asking which turret press to buy! BTW what happened to you kasel?

OOPS, cruising the midway site, I see the bare redding turret IS available now for a reduced price of 224 bucks. Expires on 6-30 so hurry! Saving 90 bucks means you DON'T get those over priced redding dies with the press.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old June 27, 2009, 02:28 PM   #41
kostner

Redding Press

I have two Lee turrents and two Dillon Square deals on my bench for twenty years and would not part with any. Have never tried a Redding but would sure like one. But for $300 I will pass that is just a little more than I paid for all of mine. Then again that was in 1970-80 dollars. Have never heard any negative comments on a Redding press and they sure look sturdy. I enjoy reloading and hope some day to have one for 3006, 303 or 3030. Maybe someone will gift me one and I promise to give it a loving home. Jim
Old June 27, 2009, 03:35 PM   #42
mrmuffy

I'm in the same boat as kasel.
- trying to decide which STURDY press to buy for rifle cartridges.
I'm leaning toward Redding T-7, Lyman T-mag, or a single stage Forster CO-AX.

Due to all the fierce brand name loyalty on the forums and marketing hype on the websites I've decided to get up off my rear end and actually reach out and touch some presses at the next shot show.

See you there kasel.
Old June 27, 2009, 06:15 PM   #43
billcarey

Quote:
Bill, I won't claim bee ess on your claim of 150 rounds/hour on your redding. BUT I would appreciate knowing the sequence for loading one round. The midway site says the primer system is "smart" priming arm. In your post you said automatic priming system. I see no reference to a auto primer feed for the redding on the midway site. Also, who's powder through expander do you use and what powder measure?
First of all I don't have a redding but fondled one and understand the capability. If you want to experience top quality, this is it. Its basically the same as my lyman but with a different primer system, more stroke and heavier construction. It does rifle better.

Claim whatever you want but I would suggest not listening to anyone who says 150hr is bs because they don't know fact from fiction. Notice my original post said AUTO PRIMER FEED, not auto primer. I've timed up to 180 hr pistol on my lyman and it can do more...if you speed along as fast as the youtube demo on a lee classic press does, which I think is waaaaay too fast for safety. It makes good advertising.

Also, putting a handle on the old turrent presses make them faster and easier for manual indexing than grabbing the turret to turn it. Any lyman style turret user with the same setup I have (dies/primer feed/powder measure) can vouch that 150 rds is very easy. I use lyman dies, including their powder though die with the rcbs uniflow powder measure.

Sequence...
1.Put shell in and size/deprime.
2.Rotate the turrent, prime (auto feed on the press), expand and powder charge (powder measure mounted on powder through die).
3.Rotate the turret, put bullet in and seat/crimp. Remove completed round.

OR...about as long as it took to read it.

bc
Old June 27, 2009, 08:20 PM   #44
Sport45

Quote:
Any of the presses discussed in this thread (with the possible exception of the Lee Deluxe Turret) are plenty sturdy for loading rifle cartridges. Unless you're loading .50bmg, then you'll have to look elsewhere.

I know folks that load rifle on the Lee Deluxe Turret without complaint too. Don't know how long they've been doing it.
Old June 28, 2009, 08:24 AM   #45
billcarey

Quote:
I'm in the same boat as kasel.
I'm leaning toward Redding T-7, Lyman T-mag, or a single stage Forster CO-AX.

Due to all the fierce brand name loyalty on the forums and marketing hype on the websites I've decided to get up off my rear end and actually reach out and touch some presses at the next shot show.

See you there kasel.
Some is brand loyality and some is choice by design. There are so many ways to go it can be confusing because newbies don't know what they will like or dislike. Remember, you are buying a "reloading process", not just a press and one mfg "process" may fit your needs best. Example: My preference, all metal construction, manual indexing, ball powder with adjustable powder metering and the measure mounted on the turret (powder through die). Priming on the press with auto primer feed to the priming arm.

Here's some things to ponder:

1. How many rounds a week, month, etc you want to shoot and how much time you want to spend at the reloading bench? That will tell what you need a press to do for production numbers.

2.What type powder...stick, flake or ball? Some powder measures meter one type better than others. Ball is recognized to be the easiest to meter...and one brand powder measure is known to leak with ball, etc.

3.Powder measure...precision shooting? Adjustable metering or non-adjustable metering? Will it fit the turret if desired? Small diameter turrets can lead to clearance issues.

4.Bench or press mounted powder measure? Hands free auto dispensing on the press wanted? Do you want to see the charge?

5.Priming method...by hand or on press? Auto primer feed or one at a time in the primer arm?

6.How many calibers...extra turrets needed?

7.Auto or manual indexing?

8.Dies...3 step or 4 step...using powder though for charging or an extra turret hole? Do you want different bullet seats or will one type do it. Best bullet alignment desired? Example: Lyman dies include both round and flat for seating in their sets while some others don't. Hornady has an aligment bushing. Does aligment matter to you?

9.Batch loading or finish one round at a time?

Get the idea?

bc
Old June 28, 2009, 08:27 AM   #46
Dingoboyx

+1 Lee turret

But get a 4 hole so you can have a FCD on the turret. I have a 3 hole & an old standard press (or 5) to do the FCD'ing in.... wish I had a 4 hole

Make sure you only get carbide dies (& keep them clean)
Old June 28, 2009, 08:45 AM   #47
wncchester

"..the Lee pro 100 (same frame as the turret model) seems to have a lot of flex in it everywhere."

The Classic Turret is NOT the same frame as the older presses, it's cast steel while they are alluminum alloy. The Classic has little more flex than standard single stage cast iron presses made by others.

Neither the Redding T-7 nor the Lyman T-Mag has an auto index feature. Without that, the user must manually turn the head and that eats away at any tiny speed advantage a turret is supposed to have over a single stage. AND, those conventional turrets MUST have some slop in the head or the turret couldn't turn! AND, it's virtually impossible to have a multitude of heads set up for fast use because the the heads are expensive and the presses aren't made to be used that way.

Lee's method of capturing the turret head is so unique it's in a whole different ball park. Yes, it has some slop but it's firmly limited by the unusual way it's secured in the frame. Even so, the turrent heads are very easy to swap out in less than ten seconds and so inexpensive anyone can have extras prefilled with dies for immediate use.

Anyone wanting a turret press for "convience" is shooting themselves in the foot if they don't opt for the cast steel bodied Lee Classic Turret!

Last edited by wncchester; June 28, 2009 at 08:51 AM.
Old June 28, 2009, 11:47 AM   #48
rwilson452

The thing with the slop in the lee turret press turret is really a non issue as it will flex exactly the same every time. I made a lot of 30-06 ammo on the older style turret press. Then measured the OAL. There was some variance. Then I remeasured using a Sinclare bullet comparator. Variance virtually gone. The difference was in the ogive of the bullet.
Old June 28, 2009, 12:36 PM   #49
snuffy

Quote:
JSnover
Boolit Master

I have the same press and it does the same thing, but.... I watched closely during the stroke and found as the load increeased, the plate would straighten before the case got very far into the die. Put a finger on the far side as you stroke the handle, you'll feel it lift. It's never caused a problem.
This was posted on the cast boolits forum, concerning the slop/tipping of the lee turret. Ya know what? It is exactly like what he says. The turret actually goes flat before the case/ram goes all the way to the top.

This has been a great discussion. I learned a few things, gonna bookmark the thread for future reference. I didn't/don't ever plan to cause any turmoil in my answers. I just get tired of people trashing lee equipment.

Old June 28, 2009, 08:26 PM   #50
mrmuffy

I learn something every time I check in.
Once again I have been politely reminded of some of the variables that the experienced reloader takes for granted due to their time at the press.
I would not have known that small diameter turrets can lead to clearance issues for certain powder measures or that the best bullet alignment is optional.
-I would have thought that the best bullet alignment possible would be one of the primary reasons for reloading in the first place.Every bit as important as exact repeatable powder measuring or proper primer seating etc.
My primary concern right now is to start out with a quality sturdy press.
Speed is not my concern since I would prefer to batch load rifle cartridges.
The only reason I considered a turret press is that I figured it would be convenient to keep all of the dies set up and stored together and then simply rotate the turret for each step.
My intention is to produce bench rest accuracy in long range hunting rounds.
After I decide on a press my next step will be to determine the best available methods and tools to measure head space.
I expect each of the remaining steps in the process to be every bit as involved as the previous ones.