The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 22, 2009, 02:27 PM   #1
Texas Man

Serious Reloading Advice Needed

I'm tired of Ammo prices and shortages and I want questions answered by PEOPLE THAT RELOAD AT HOME, I would like to have the following questions answered:

1. I am willing to buy expensive reloading equipment that can handle different shells, what pieces of equipment am I going to need to reload:
40S&W 45ACP .44MAG 45LC .357MAG .38SPL .380Auto, .22LR .17HMR .270Win 30-06 25-06 .243Win 308Win 30-30Win 22-250 300winMag 12 & .410

2. How toxic is the lead and the gunpowder?

3. How much space am I going to need?

4. How easy/hard is to reload quickly & effiecently?
Old June 22, 2009, 02:34 PM   #2
ZeSpectre

You might want to give this thread a view.

It was written in '06 but the information is still plenty accurate.

You can build a loading bench into a pretty small space.

The worst of the toxicity is generally the dust from tumbling brass. That should be done someplace outside your living area.
Old June 22, 2009, 03:00 PM   #3
Doodlebugger45

I'll answer what I can based on my own experiences so far, even though I haven't been reloading nearly as long as most of the people around here.

1. I'll stay away from recommending brands, just because there is a wide variety of equipment and most of it is good stuff. But you can't reload 22 LR or 17 HMR. Also, reloading shotshells takes a completely different setup than reloading centerfire rifle/pistol ammo. Straightwall pistol ammo is the easiest of all to reload. Rifle ammo is only slightly more complicated, but it's actually fairly easy to do. Read the thread at the top of the page.

2. It isn't a big danger to have powder and lead in the home. Use some common sense, but typically you will have far more dangerous chemicals under your kitchen sink.

3. Right now, I have a fairly big old table (old kitchen table made SOLID) that measures about 3' x 6' that serves me well as a bench in a fairly small spare bedroom. You don't absolutely have to have a separate room, but it's nice if you do. That 3 x 6 space would probably be about the minimum to get started.

4. Right now, some components can be kind of hard to find, but it's getting better all the time. In my case, I was able to find a manual first and it gave me a few weeks of reading before I started trying to find the equipment and components. I was able to buy the press, dies, and almost every other piece of equipment with a couple trips to different stores ONCE I KNEW WHAT I WANTED. Then it took a couple weeks to find suitable powder and bullets and then a couple more weeks to find primers and then I was in business. Ideally, you would want to buy a couple manuals and study them for a week or two in depth. But depending on where you live, you might be able to go out and buy everything you need in one day and be reloading the next day. But go slowly at first. Load up maybe a dozen pistol cartridges the first time and see if they work.

The very best thing is if you can find an experienced reloader in your area and watch him do the various steps in person. A few steps are kind of difficult to describe in print and it's easier to get a feel for by watching and feeling the stuff.

But definitely go slow at first.
Old June 22, 2009, 03:08 PM   #4
mnhntr

I started reloading a few months ago and was in a similar situation with the dilema of equipment. My father had an RCBS single stage press and so I bought the dies for the 3 pistol calibers I shoot most. It depends on how much you shoot to determine what equipment you want to buy. I load about 2000rds a month and would not want to do any more without a progressive style press. It is too time consuming. I also measure the powder 1 load at a time on a beam scale. I would seriously think about buying an RCBS chargemaster or similar powder charger if I was to load more than I do.
Old June 22, 2009, 03:24 PM   #5
stratmeister

You're loading 2000 rounds a month and weighing each one separately? Whoa, you should definitely get a powder measure, it would save you a huge chunk of time. I do maybe 300 a month and couldn't do without one anymore...
Old June 22, 2009, 03:33 PM   #6
RedneckFur

+1 to what others have said. You cannot reload rimfire ammo, and shotgun shells need a different type of loading press. I belive that you need a different press for each shotgun caliber, actually. All the machines I've seen have been set up for a single gauge.

Powder is not toxic. For the most part, its a mixture of fairly common chemicals. Keep it stored cool and dry, in its original container when not in use. Do not mix powders, and never store it in a coffee can, bottle, or any other non-powder container.

Lead, in the form of bullets, is nearly harmless. You can touch and handle them with your bare hands, but its good to wash your hands before eating and drinking. The dangerous lead is the airborne lead dust after shooting, and lead that leaches into drinking water. Bullets in your home will not make you sick.

My loading press is set up on a Craftsman work bench. It has a metal frame, and a thick wooden top. Its very sturdy. It measures about 2' x 5' on top, with 3 drawers, several shelves, and a pegboard on the back that holds my cleaning rods. I also have a florecent light over my bench for better lighting.

Whatever you mount your press to, be sure that it can take alot of pressure. It can take considerable force to load some rifle cartriges, especially if you're using steel dies.

A freind of mine built a very portable set up on a budget. He mounted one of the cheaper Lee presses on a wooden bar stool. he notched the stool so the press sets closer to the center. I wouldnt use it to load high volumes of ammo, but its the bees knees for depriming and sizing cases, and is handy for loading pistol calibers too. Best of all, you can put the whole business in the closet when you're done with it.

The most important thing you'll need when loading is information! Be sure to get some quality loading manuals. Somtimes, these can be had used at gunshows, but try to stick to more modern manuals. Older manuals somtimes have load data that is considered to be over maximum by todays standards. Some shooters swear by this older data, and some refuse to use it. Proceed with caution when using max or near max loads.

Handloading is something that requires time and patience. It can be a great way to relax as well, since reloading a bunch of cartriges can be similar to meditation. Focus on your work and ignore the world around you.

Some loaders do each step seperately, some do it all at once. My routine is like this.

Step 1, tumble and clean cases.
2, De prime and resize cases.
3. Trim, if needed. (a go/no go gauge is helpful for straight wall cartriges)
4. Prime cases. (I use a lee hand primer for this)
5. Drop powder, and then seat bullet. I do not like having lots of cases around with powder in them. It increases your chances of having an error.
Old June 22, 2009, 03:37 PM   #7
Red_Eagle

My reloading area takes up about 5'x3'. It consists of 2 single stage presses and 2 shot shell reloaders. The 2 metallic presses and a Lyman Accu-line trimmer are permanently mounted. The 2 shot shell reloaders are mounted via clamps as needed.
My Calibers: 22 Hornet, 223 Rem, 22-250, 243 Win, 270 Win, 280 Remington Ackley Improved, 30-30, 308 Win, 30-06, 300 Winchester magnum, 7.62x39mm, 380 Auto, 9mm Parabellum, 38 Special, 357 magnum, 40 S&W, 10mm Auto, 45 GAP, 45 Auto, 12 & 20 Guage
Old June 22, 2009, 04:14 PM   #8
BigJimP

I like reloading / and customizing my loads to my guns - and in metallic I reload for 9mm, .40, .45acp, .38 spl, .357mag and .44 mag ( and I do shotshells in 12, 20, 28ga and .410 as well ).

In metallic, I like Dillon equipment / my choice is the 650 press because it has a "powder check" option in it - so you can make sure you don't get a cartridge with no powder or a double charge in it. Its a big plus in my view / and Dillon's SDB and 550 do not have that option. Hornady, RCBS, and other presses have similar options.

The dust isn't that big a deal - use common sense. Same thing on storing components. For handguns, I use one powder - Hodgdon TiteGroup - it works real well, shoots clean, gives great performance on a variety of calibers - and keeps it simple.

My Dillon 650 - with a case feeder on it - will easily do 1,000 rounds an hour ( or 20 boxes ) - so its very efficient.

In terms of space / I have what amounts to a kitchen base cabinet about 36" wide / and my metallic press is mounted to the cabinet top. For shotshells - I have a bench that is about 36" wide / and I set up 2 presses at one time on it / and change out presses as needed. MEC is my shotshell press of choice - and you need a different press for every gague. Dillon has a shotshell press - where you can change tool heads - so you could do it with one press for 12, 20 and 28ga ( no .410 in that option ).

I'm not having any problem finding components / but when I buy, I buy in case lots ( bullets 3,000 or so per case depending on caliber ) ( primers are 5,000 to a case ) and I buy powder in 8 lb containers. Brass of course you pick up and clean. Check out Dillon at
http://www.dillonprecision.com/

but there are other options out there like Hornady, etc - but to me Dillon's customer service has been great, a number of my buddies also use Dillon equipment so it was easy to get their counsel when I had set up issues, etc - and for what its worth, I'd buy the Dillon 650 again.

In shotshells - I like the MEC 9000 HN hydraulice series loaders ( but you didn't really ask about shotshells - even though responders kept bringing it up ..) .

Reloading is easy - and straight forward - but it takes attention to detail and focus. You have to keep the press tuned and clean / and your area organized - if that isn't you .... you might want to rethink it or at least find a person locally that can give you a tutorial on his press - and run you thru the process.
Old June 22, 2009, 05:07 PM   #9
Texas Man

Thanks Everyone Yall put alot of information down for me, I usualy depend on TFL for info. and opinions, but for those that put alot down thanks.
Old June 22, 2009, 11:54 PM   #10
Randy 1911

I noticed that you listed 22LR and 17 HMR. Those two are not reloadable.
Old June 23, 2009, 12:36 AM   #11
epr105

I wanted to put in my 2 cents worth here, When I started in this sports type field there were not a lot of choices that fit in my budget. After I made thousands and thousands of rounds on a lee anniversary kit. I said I need a progressive press one pull of the handle and out comes the loaded round.
Well I checked a few and got the dillion rl550B. This is an excellent company and will take care of problems if you ever have one. You can load400-600 Rounds an hour.
If you want to see it in action go to youtube and do a search for dillion.
Eddie
Old June 23, 2009, 12:48 AM   #12
David Wile

Hey. Eddie,

The guy is a bit green to begin recommending a progressive press to him don't you think? Heck, he doesn't even realize the difference between rimfire and centerfire ammo, and he also doesn't realize the difference between metallic and shotshell ammo. Besides, he wants to load pistol and rifle ammo, and the Dillon 550 is not exactly a good pick for rifle ammo. Give the guy a break on the progressive push.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile
Old June 23, 2009, 09:31 PM   #13
mongoose33

How much space? Here's my reloading bench:

http://clubdoctor.com/pics/rlbench.jpg

That bench is 39" wide, has two presses on it, and there's more than enough space above and below (if you used shelves--my shop has this stuff elsewhere) to store all the stuff you need.

You might need a bit more space given the large number of calibers you propose to reload, but it's not like you need an entire garage to house all this stuff.

I can get throughput of several hundred rounds an hour of handgun ammo on my Hornady progressive press, usually 300-400 is about the number. Rifle is less as there is case prep for my .223s.

The large issues of reloading for me revolve around three things: First, I find reloading to be fun and relaxing. Second, I save money, producing ammo for half the price I can buy it in the stores. And finally, I have a source of ammo that isn't dependent upon commercial sources.
Old June 23, 2009, 09:42 PM   #14
mongoose33

Quote:
The guy is a bit green to begin recommending a progressive press to him don't you think? Heck, he doesn't even realize the difference between rimfire and centerfire ammo, and he also doesn't realize the difference between metallic and shotshell ammo. Besides, he wants to load pistol and rifle ammo, and the Dillon 550 is not exactly a good pick for rifle ammo. Give the guy a break on the progressive push.
I started reloading in September of '08. I started on a single-stage RCBS, doing .223 ammo first, then graduating to 9mm and .45.

Then I bought a Hornady LnL progressive.

Starting on a single stage was exactly the right thing for me, to learn the steps of the reloading process, and not try to complicate things with a progressive which, in its own way, was complicated enough to learn and figure out. Not rocket science, but I think it's much harder if you don't understand the process from having done it on a single stage.

I learned (well, I'm still learning : ) without the benefit of a buddy to show me the ropes. Learned it all on the internet and through books, and with very careful and slow beginnings. A good way to learn, if you ask me.
Old June 24, 2009, 12:38 AM   #15
Mike Irwin
Staff

"shotgun shells need a different type of loading press."

Not really.

You can, with the proper dies, reload shotshells on a Rockchucker.

It is, however, a complete pain in the butt.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old June 24, 2009, 11:12 AM   #16
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

I reload 9mm, 38spl, 357mag, 45acp, 45 LC, .223 rem, .243 win, .410, 16ga, and 12 ga. I cast for all my pistols and .243 (soon). This is my bench. I made all my presses detachable so I could use my bench for other things. Notice my stands I bolted my 2 presses to. My shotsehell reloaders i clamp to the bench. You don't need a whole lotta room. Good luck!

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old June 24, 2009, 08:37 PM   #17
JayCee

Here's my reloading "bench"...

Rolls into a small closet in my study when not in use. I've loaded thousands of rounds on it, from .223 to .475 Linebaugh.

You don't need a whole lot of space...

“If I owned Texas and hell, I'd rent out Texas and live in hell.” - General Phillip H. Sheridan
Old June 24, 2009, 09:05 PM   #18
Antipasta

[IMG][/IMG]
Old June 27, 2009, 11:21 AM   #19
James R. Burke

Its alot of info. I started by getting a manual, and then a few more. I read them over a few times. That gave me most of my info. I then started asking some questions on things I was not quite sure of. I then built a reloading bench in the corner of my basement that I claimed as just mine. Then I started getting pieces of equiment that I knew I would need. You will have a very fun, and enjoyable time reloading. Good luck, and get some manuals to start.
Old June 27, 2009, 07:03 PM   #20
choicesmade24

Just a thought... primers are just as hard or harder to find than ammo right now...
Old June 27, 2009, 07:29 PM   #21
ZeSpectre

Quote:
Just a thought... primers are just as hard or harder to find than ammo right now...
Amen brother!
That's my big hold-up right now.
Old June 29, 2009, 02:00 PM   #22
Dave R

I'll just add a comment on my beginnings into reloading...

When I started, I mounted my used press on a board, and just used "C" clamps to clamp it to the kitchen table when using it. I was careful not to mark the table, and was able to maintain approval from the spouse.

When I was done with a session, I stored my press and all other reloading gear in a rubbermaid rubber basket in a closet.

Now, I use an old desk I bought at a garage sale for my reloading "bench."
Old June 29, 2009, 02:16 PM   #23
Hardcase

Thanks, Texas Man, for asking the questions and thanks, everyone else, for answering them. You guys helped me out too!
Old June 29, 2009, 02:44 PM   #24
oneounceload

If you're new to this hobby, I would recommend starting out with single stage presses - a little more labor-intensive, yes....but a lot safer to prevent double charges, and making a mess as well.......Once you get really comfortable, you can always add a progressive for the stuff you really shoot a lot.

Shotshells are loaded on a different press, (yes it CAN be done on a Rockchucker)..MEC's have sets where you can change gauges, but unless you're really cramped for space, used 600 Jrs. can be had for $50 or less each.

I've only been loading for about 30 years or so and I still use single stage presses, especially for rifles because I weigh each charge for them. I had a Dillon for pistol and a MEC 9000 but sold them when ammunition was cheap and plentiful.......

I have seen folks make a reloading bench out of a B&D workmate. Personally, I bought a "gorilla" rack from Sam's. made a top from plywood doubled and I now have an 8' long area with shotshell stuff on one end and metallic on the other. If you buy components in bulk, (the cheapest way to go), you'll need space for storage. Even if you reload out in the garage, if you loive where it is humid, keep your powder and primers inside.