The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 22, 2007, 10:02 AM   #1
cunanse

Retumbo and Magnum Primers

I've been reloading my 7mm Rem Mag with IMR 4831, LR primers and 160-gr AccuBonds. I'm about to try loading with Hogdon Retumbo. My reloading data for Retumbo is with LR primers. I go online and see people loading the same data I have, but with LR Magnum primers. Should there be a problem using magnum primers with the same powder weights, paticularly when using a powder probably intended for Magnum primers like Retumbo?
Old September 22, 2007, 09:17 PM   #2
flashhole

I use Winchester Large Rifle Magnum primers in my 7mm Retumbo handloads and they work perfectly well. You will get a significantly stronger ignition with a magnum primer. If you are at the max end of the powder load back off a little and work your way back up watching for pressure signs. My loads are all compressed loads and I suspect yours will be too.

Are you ready for civil war?