The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 3, 2012, 05:52 PM   #76
old bear

Quote:
Every first time shooter I see these days wanders in with some tupperware semi. There are no revolvers, alloy/steel frame guns are also absent.
Ah the power of the media, almost every TV show or movie you see that uses firearms has everyone shooting the latest Autoloader.
I was recently having dinner with my 87 year old Mother, who is quite anti gun, imagine my surprise when she stated that Glocks are the best handguns made.

I also believe that the sales staff in most gun stores is to blame, as they push the latest and greatest wounder gun on an uninformed public. I would never recommend an Autoloader for a new shooter. I've been shooting 50+ years now and I still favor the ease of use of the revolver over a Autoloader.
Old December 3, 2012, 07:07 PM   #77
cole k

Quote:
I don't see people shooting revolvers for target practice, either... except the rare few old timers blasting silver dollars single handed at 25 yards.

Yeah - we've had to go to those bigger sized things @ closer ranges to shoot at.
Old eyes just ain't what they used to be anymore .

Yeah, and 40 years ago it was quarters @ 25 yrds, half dollars @ 50 yrds, and silver dollars @ 100 yards
Old December 3, 2012, 07:30 PM   #78
TrueTexan

Tupperware sure thing have a bunch use it to hold bullets and brass while reloading flor my all metal 45 acp P220 and 1911 or 357 for my 686 plus 3 inch and 6 inch also have some for food storage. Best use of plastic
Old December 3, 2012, 07:30 PM   #79
1 old 0311-1

Yea I am old fashioned. I use a wheelie because sometimes I don't remember if the mag is loaded, if there is one up the pipe, what ammo works and what doesn't, if I broke it in 500 rounds, and never limp wrist.
Yea wheelies are for the forgetful............and smart!
Old December 3, 2012, 08:37 PM   #80
orionengnr

Quote:
Revolvers are heavy, wide, long and low capacity.
Like most generalizations, there is a grain of truth in there. But...have you ever heard of a 642? I'm pretty certain that it is S&W's best selling gun, period, and has been for several years.

My first CHL instructor (and he was/is a Detective on the Ft Worth Police Department) advised the class to take a look at j-framed sized revolvers. I took his advice, and went through a succession of them. I do not currently own one (and haven't for five or six years) but am re-thinking that decision, and may add a 642 to the rotation.

Revolvers are far from dead. New designs such as the Ruger LCR and the Chiappa Rhino are adding some depth to the bench, and causing some shooters to rethink their carry choices.
Old December 3, 2012, 08:48 PM   #81
9mm

Quote:
Revolvers are dead
No! they are now being made in tupperware forms! even 1911s. Long live tubberware

The birth of revolvers in tupperware started with LCR? S&W has theirs and Taurus also. Metal is going away and tupperware replaces.
Old December 3, 2012, 08:52 PM   #82
9mm

Quote:
Not a single one of them had to reload...
Just be my luck I have to.

I also carry 2 spare magazines, it off sets the weight of the gun on one side, with the magazines on the other.
Old December 3, 2012, 09:23 PM   #83
Hal

I was taught to always reload at the first opportunity - regardless of the number of actual shots fired.
The guy that taught me that was the firearms instructor for the East Cleveland Police Department. IIRC, he also instructed for Lyndhurst PD and **Euclid PD.
That would have been back in 1983.

**Correction...that would be South Euclid, not Euclid.

Last edited by Hal; December 4, 2012 at 08:00 AM.
Old December 4, 2012, 02:22 AM   #84
chipchip

Revolvers and 1911's is the only way to fly.... all steel. However they do come in that alloy stuff. I think 1911's are to complicated for some. I will never own a plastic gun. I can say this because I sell them every day. The guns some people buy just amazes me.
Old December 4, 2012, 04:33 AM   #85
Jeff #111

Dead or dying I still own a bunch of revolvers. Love em. However I also two Glocks.
Old December 4, 2012, 11:56 AM   #86
Gaerek

First, must get this out of the way first.

Quote:
Don't blame Costas................blame his microphone
Best. Signature. Ever.

I'm not trying to start a fight or anything, but I have a question for those that refuse to shoot a composite frame firearm.

What do you not like about them?

If it's a feel thing, I can sorta understand that. In many people's hands, composite feels cheap. But beyond that, there really aren't any drawbacks. "Plastic" frames are nearly as durable as steel. "Plastic" frames are lighter. "Plastic" frames have less recoil (it's one reason, with that fat grip, why the LCR doesn't recoil like a J-Frame snubbie).

Tradition maybe? If that's the case, it reminds me of the arguments we used to have on the Photography Forum between film and digital. Film shooters would argue that it's more traditional, and it's harder (meaning more supposed skill to shoot), therefore it's better. My argument would be, if that were the case, then maybe you need to be mixing your own emulsion to spread onto glass plates to put in your 150 year old camera.

Of course, I'm not saying that a Glock is better than a Hi-Power, or anything like that. I'm just curious what the aversion is.
Old December 4, 2012, 04:01 PM   #87
TrueTexan

Why I don't like plastic guns? Well lets start Glock like handling a 2X4. Blocky and cheap feel. But for all polymer guns short life. I have my Dads S&W he carried in WWII it still shoots like a dream and someday I will pass it on to my son.My other guns 686s, 1911, AK47, Ruger MKIII and my Marlin 22 carbine same will be pass on to future gun lovers. Can anybody say that about the plastic guns? No because plastics breakdown under UV light and oxygen/ozone. I asked my son, who has a degree in organic chemistry, ad he said the same thing. Also the constant flexing from the shooting will eventually fracture the plastic especially after the plastic becomes brittle from the oxidation.

As for those that think just because the Military uses it its got to be good, Sorry. Remember the DOD buys cheap. The DOD buys low bid and it is a break and replace not fix.If it breaks or wears out give out another contract to replace it and defense contractors love it.
Old December 4, 2012, 05:20 PM   #88
L_Killkenny

Kudos to Brian, when things get serious more rounds the better, when it comes to carrying lighter is better. Yada, yada, yada. But I can tell you that if I had a semi it would never get shot and being able to shoot/practice with a gun is FAR more important than how many little bullets it holds. Why won't it get shot? First off there has to be some enjoyment there (good luck getting that with a Glock). Second for me to be able to afford to shoot much reloading is a must. My range is grass, your welcome to come out and scrounge brass in that crap all you want.
Old December 4, 2012, 06:01 PM   #89
mrt949

After having openheart surgery in 1988 and carpel tunel & trigger finger in 2005 revolvers are easier to operate. Plus when you go to the range you get coments when you shoot better than the autos.
Old December 4, 2012, 06:07 PM   #90
mordis

I have owned a glock in the past, but only have 1 pistol right now and thats a revovler, m15 smith and wesson. I dont mind the trigger on the glock or how it shoots, but it is souless. When i pick it up, it feels weak, it feels like a toy, it almost feels not real. I pick up my service sized revolver and i can feel it, it feels real. It just feels like i have something in my hands that is solid.

I dont know how to describe it, but plastic just dosent feel real or have that indescribeable soul that metal semi's and revolvers have.

I have never felt undergunned with my revolver. If i need to reload, i carry reloads and practice with them. You arnt just standing there are you? You do know to move off the line and get to cover and reload? IMHO capacity only matter if your being invaded by the commies and that aint happening.
Old December 4, 2012, 06:51 PM   #91
pete2

Souless is a good way to put it. No class like a model 19 or a 1911 gun. To many a gun is merely a tool. As far as 19 rounds vs 6 rounds, learn to shoot. Remember the NY cops fired 16 rounds at a bad guy, 10 hits, pretty good til you consider 9 bystanders were hit, so much for spray and pray.
Old December 4, 2012, 07:31 PM   #92
edfrompa

I will take my Smith&Wesson 586-5" 357mag any day over any glock made.

But hey that is just me, I'm old fashioned and love revolvers. Carry a S&W 640 snubby all the time. Like my credit card, don't leave home without it.

Oh by the way I also carry a Springfield 45 1911 full size for a spare.
Old December 4, 2012, 10:37 PM   #93
9mmhpfan

Revolvers are awesome! Look at this way if the collapse of society does eventually come around eventually mag springs, recoil springs, guide rods, magazines are all eventually going to wear out. Yes I know that you can buy spare parts for all of those things but I need my garage to park my car in not store spare parts for a Glock, or Sig, or Beretta that I need to keep running. Revolvers were used by law enforcement since they were invented and the only reason they changed was because someone thought that the police were out gunned by semi autos with larger magazine cap. Since semi autos came into being and held more than 6 shots the police were out gunned but that did not bother them till the 1980's. Up till then they always came out on the winning end. Anybody remember Bill Jordan? He was a revolver guy and one of the most deadly men to ever use a hand held weapon. Always remember fire discpline trumps mag cap any day. When I was a kid I remember reading a story about an old Texas Ranger during prohibition days who got into a shooting scrape with some whiskey runners who were working for the mafia. The whiskey peddlers had the latest and greatest 1911's and Thompson Sub Machine Guns and all the old ranger had was a 45 Colt with a 4 3/4 barrel colt single action army. The old ranger had good fire discpline and would only fire when he had a target and the gangsters would pop up and fire up 50 round drums of 45 ACP and never hit thing one. The old ranger everytime he fired he dropped one of them after a few times of that they beat it across the Mexican Boarder. Now some will say well what if you are jumped by a lot of intruders/thugs? Well now from what I have seen on most after action reports in the media whenever a home owner has used a gun to defend themselves that whenever they do shoot one of the thugs the others lose their guts and run away. Don't recall if I have ever heard a story of 4 thugs breaking into a home and all 4 standing toe to toe with the home owner after some of their buddies start going down when the lead starts flying. No they got better things to do like snatching old ladies purses, or pushing dope at the elementary school. If they had any guts they would not be low life punks.

Last edited by 9mmhpfan; December 4, 2012 at 10:59 PM.
Old December 5, 2012, 03:43 AM   #94
volkstrm

I well for me it's steel is real! I only had one Tupperware gun it was a Glock-G21. I never did like it sold it not long after I had it. I have two wheel gun's Ruger's 357(SP101,GP100). Like them a lot. But for the most part I am a semi-auto DA/SA all steel or alloy/steel type of guy. I would never carry a Tupperware gun. I can handle a few more oz on my hip plus a steel gun handles recoil much better.
Old December 5, 2012, 07:33 AM   #95
TAKtical

Old habits die hard for some. I prefer a gun with a 17 round mag. I have no use for a six shooter.
Due to several differences of opinion with staff, I am choosing to no longer do business on this forum. Everyone that has a pending order will need to contact me via email at [email protected] Thanks,
-Tom&Tricia
Old December 5, 2012, 09:43 AM   #96
Gaerek

Quote:
Why I don't like plastic guns? Well lets start Glock like handling a 2X4. Blocky and cheap feel. But for all polymer guns short life. I have my Dads S&W he carried in WWII it still shoots like a dream and someday I will pass it on to my son.My other guns 686s, 1911, AK47, Ruger MKIII and my Marlin 22 carbine same will be pass on to future gun lovers. Can anybody say that about the plastic guns? No because plastics breakdown under UV light and oxygen/ozone. I asked my son, who has a degree in organic chemistry, ad he said the same thing. Also the constant flexing from the shooting will eventually fracture the plastic especially after the plastic becomes brittle from the oxidation.

As for those that think just because the Military uses it its got to be good, Sorry. Remember the DOD buys cheap. The DOD buys low bid and it is a break and replace not fix.If it breaks or wears out give out another contract to replace it and defense contractors love it.
Thanks for the reply. That does make sense. I was honestly curious. I guess I don't look at my carry guns as heirlooms, or anything like that. I don't plan to pass my G19 down to my son when he's 21 (he's 8 months old right now). My carry gun has a specific purpose, and my Glock fits that purpose perfectly. Inexpensive, easy/cheap to fix/replace, light weight, holds a lot of ammo, and puts a bullet where I point it.

My 1911, on the other hand, will likely get passed down. But I don't carry that gun (well, usually anyway) because the Glock is more practical in my eyes. It's my BBQ gun, and range gun. It's the same reason I bought a Toyota Highlander a few months ago, and not a Dodge Charger. Sure, they cost about the same, the Charger certainly is sexier and has better performance. But my needs are a vehicle with space for my whole family, the ability to tow, and ample cargo room. So I bought the un-sexy grocery go-getter instead.
Old December 5, 2012, 10:00 AM   #97
anothernewb

Last night I think I came across the reason all the old timers at my local range use revolvers.

No need to bend over and pick up brass!
Old December 5, 2012, 11:21 AM   #98
PeterGreg

I want my .45 to be all steel if that's too heavy for the job then I'll go with an all metal .380 when I need lighter then it's a plastic pocket gun, so to me a plastic pistol is the ultimate compromise.

For whatever reason I’m not as good with a revolver (maybe my technique isn't what it should be) but lately I’ve been thinking about picking up a vintage 4” .38spcl
Old December 5, 2012, 12:02 PM   #99
loose_holster_dan

you know it's a good thread when this many moderators jump in.

i started with semis, and tried out revolvers later. i have to say, the grip angle on a revolver throws me. i don't want to have to try to become comfortable with two vastly different grip angles. even the glock grip angle annoys me. for this reason, i sold all of the revolvers i ever bought.

as to steel/alloy vs polymer, i always prefer to shoot a steel/alloy, but you can get a few more rounds in a smaller poly gun than you can in steel.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old December 5, 2012, 12:24 PM   #100
armoredman

I only have one wheelgun, but it's perfect.

I have carried this Smith 10-8 38Spl with complete confidence, and will do so again.