The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 29, 2008, 03:39 PM   #1
BntBrl

Remington Bulk Brass Looks Like Range Findings

Actually much worse than what you'd find at the range in the bucket. I ordered 20 of them and 3/4s of them have dings around the shoulders. THey look dirty, as I assume they havent been polished, and the necks are fugly. The necks have a more coppery look to them and are quite textured feeling.

My questions are (1) The dings will come out when I fire them, is it okay to fire them with dings, and what size dings or dents are acceptable to fire?

(2) I plan to resize the cases and trim them to the min trim to length. Will the textured feeling necks hurt anything?

It is a .300 Weatherby Magnum. I plant to load them with 180 grains hornady btsp with around 74 grains of imr4831.
Old June 29, 2008, 04:08 PM   #2
Stumper

Pics!

Shoulder dents are of no consequence.

"If only God has magic, how does Santa get down the chimney?" Natalie Peters age 4
Old June 29, 2008, 04:23 PM   #3
Sidetracked

Neck size them before loading, and you'll be fine. It's just the way their bulk brass looks, from the shipping methods used.
Old June 29, 2008, 07:33 PM   #4
Alleykat

Sounds like the necks were annealed.
Old June 29, 2008, 11:25 PM   #5
Crosshair

Sounds like the necks were annealed.

Agreed, ammo makes don't take as much care in removing the annealing marks from bulk brass. It should be cosmetic only.
Old June 30, 2008, 01:44 AM   #6
BntBrl

I ran them through my neck sizer and they all seems to be okay. They are still coppery looking but they are all round now. I deburred them and stuck them in my case gage. THey look okay. I suppose I will double check them with my mic and primer them. Then to decide what to load in them... I have a 130 grain that shoots good, and I have a 180 load that shoots very good. Maybe Ill stop and get some 200 or 220 grain hornadys to load up and check them out. I was really surprised when I shot a .8 group of three with 130. I was shooting 180s the other day and the guy with something big shot just as I was breaking the trigger and ruined my group. Sometimes it happens to me when someone next to me shoots and Im not expecting it. I dont flinch on my shots cause I expect it, but not before I pull the trigger lol.