The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 13, 2013, 06:33 PM   #1
Dreaming100Straight

Air Travel Case

I may do some domestic air travel for which TSA rules specify a locking hard sided case. I have an inexpensive ProMax Plano that I use for the inexpensive 870 Express that the TSA will accept, but am wondering if I want to trust my Citori to it and airline handling. (This would be checked baggage.)

From what I can see, it looks like I have to lay out at least $180 for a decent case, which I would like to avoid since I rarely will use it. TSA does not consider a canvas sided case such as a typical Browning takedown case to be "hard sided".

Doe anyone have any suggestions other than a Pellikan?

Also, if anyone can suggest some places to visit near Kansas City, that is where I will be with a lot of time on my hands for a couple of weeks. Llike open to the public clays venues.

Last edited by Dreaming100Straight; June 13, 2013 at 06:39 PM.
Old June 13, 2013, 06:54 PM   #2
zoomie

I hate to be that guy, but just close your eyes, hold your breath, and buy the Pelican 1700 (or Storm equivalent). You'll sleep easier on the flight knowing your Citori will arrive in good shape.

$163 shipped.

http://www.amazon.com/Pelican-1700-L...pd_sim_sbs_e_1
Old June 13, 2013, 07:08 PM   #3
Dreaming100Straight

Zoomie, That is a good price, especially including shipping.
Old June 13, 2013, 07:26 PM   #4
Dreaming100Straight

Duplicate please delete

Last edited by Dreaming100Straight; June 13, 2013 at 07:33 PM.
Old June 13, 2013, 08:50 PM   #5
BigD_in_FL

A good Pelican is about $250

What's your Browning worth?

Replacement value?

About 10% to ensure it makes it past the baggage gorillas seems like a bargain to me...........or
you could buy an Americase for 2X the Pelican
Old June 13, 2013, 09:17 PM   #6
Dreaming100Straight

I already decided that if I am taking the Citori on the plane, I am buying a decent case.
Old June 14, 2013, 06:32 AM   #7
BigD_in_FL

Just remember - that case gets a regular lock to which only YOU have the key/combination. Even if you bought one of those duffles where the shotgun case sits in the bottom section, the gun case gets a regular lock while the duffle gets the TSA lock

http://www.boytharness.com/inventoryD.asp?item_no=CBRD&CatId={1EAF0BF3-6651-49FC-8D27-87358B989D4C}

Old June 14, 2013, 08:11 PM   #8
Dreaming100Straight

That is a nice duffle, BigD, but after buying it then you still have to have the hard sided container that can be locked, and to my understanding the lock cannot be one opened by a TSA "master key".

I went by the nicest LGS we have in the area and also checked out the "presentation cases" stocked by Triple B Clays. If it is acceptable to the TSA and Airlilne, would a typical Browning takedown case be a good idea or does it offer enough protection. I don't think they are much more than canvas over plywood on a wood frame.
Old June 16, 2013, 03:11 AM   #9
ClydeFrog

travel tips, TSA/FAA....

Here are a few tips:
I'd go over the www.TSA.gov www.FAA.gov & your airline's website/SOPs.

I'd advise printing out the most recent website policy forms too to take with your travel documents.
When you declare your firearm, be polite, calm & say in a clear voice; I have a unloaded secured firearm in a case that I want to declare.
Wait for the airline employee to explain what they want you to do.
DO NOT use humor, sarcasism, slang, or be in a rush(late).

In Seattle's Intl airport, they had signs in 2012 telling customers to not use humor or make jokes.
For travel, see; www.gunlawguide.com www.NRA.org www.knifelawsonline.com .

Stay safe & stay legal.

Clyde F
PS; Id also take a few cell phone pics of your firearm and items, so if its stolen or damaged you can document its serial number/description.
Airline employees and TSA agents can & do get caught stealing weapons.
Old June 16, 2013, 08:23 PM   #10
Dreaming100Straight

I hear you Clyde on avoiding humor. Meanwhile, is a typical breakdown case to flimsy for air travel. I know it is acceptable and may get banged up on the outside, but I only care about protecting the gun that I will wrap with foam as well as secure in the compartments.

I got a decent price on one and am buying it tomorrow, even if I have to get something sturdier for air travel. If I need something sturdy, I can get one of these for $100 with shipping.

http://www.americase.com/catalog/Val...-VS-3814L.aspx

Last edited by Dreaming100Straight; June 16, 2013 at 08:32 PM.
Old June 17, 2013, 04:39 PM   #11
BigD_in_FL

Dreamin ' - that hard case IS locked, it just has a nice cover over it to keep it looking good, so you put a regular lock (or if it has a combo lock on it already), inside the duffle which gets the TSA lock
Old June 17, 2013, 07:51 PM   #12
Dreaming100Straight

BigD

Quote:
Dreamin ' - that hard case IS locked, it just has a nice cover over it to keep it looking good, so you put a regular lock (or if it has a combo lock on it already), inside the duffle which gets the TSA lock
You must be talking about the duffle. It is sweet and I like the fact that it isn't obvious that you checked a gun, but I think I would go with the Americase value one I linked or the Pelican that Zippy suggested.

I have a hard take down case, but it is 2 inches too long for the Boyt duffel and if I had to buy a new case and the duffel it ain't going to happen.
Old June 17, 2013, 07:54 PM   #13
Dreaming100Straight

Related tip on flying with guns

It looks like South West may be the carrier for me. If I have it correct, you are allowed to check 2 bags without paying a fee and one of the two would be my gun case.
Old June 19, 2013, 08:48 PM   #14
Dreaming100Straight

Odered the Pelican

I ordered the Pelican case Zoomie suggested. With a $50 card for applying for an Amazon credit card, it cost me including our state sales tax an shipping $127.07. I have already started setting up some shooting dates in the Kansas City burbs.