The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old February 16, 2013, 04:39 AM   #1
racereed

900 acre shooting range idea

Hey guys, Im new here, so I will go ahead and say hello!

A friend and I were talking tonight about possibly building a outdoor gun range, competition range and maybe a "real life" scenario training range on some vacant land we have between Hyco and Hamilton Tx( about 1 hour ouside Glenrose). We have roughly 900 acres. We dont know how to build a gun range but we could have it designed and built by someone who knows what they are doing. We have 2 people with ground leases expiring late April and early May and we are looking for ways for the property to generate some income to help pay for itself. The land has lots of mature trees, pecan, pine etc. and the land is differnt elevations.

I guess what I would need to know is, is there a "big" enough market for an outdoor gun range or competition range in Texas that far away from a major city?

I am not a competitoin shooter so I dont know if those type of ranges exist in huge numbers or few here and there.

Anyways its just an idea and wanted to hear any thought or advice or anything you cound contribute.

Thanks.

rr
Old February 16, 2013, 03:08 PM   #2
PawPaw

Honestly, I had to Google Hamilton, Texas. West of Waco, north of Fort Hood. Easy driving range of both. From my home in central Louisiana, it would take me about eight hours to get there in my pickup truck.

I've always wanted to go to Gunsite, but can't take off long enough to drive over for a weekend course. Like any other business it would have growing pains, but if you offered the right incentives, good instructors, a first-class experience and a nice pro shop, I don't know why you couldn't make it a going concern.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old February 16, 2013, 04:10 PM   #3
David13

I don't know what their acreage is but there are a few here, and some do really well, and others less so, it seems, but they remain open.
Burro Canyon, Angeles Range, A Place to Shoot, and several others in the hills and canyons around here.
If you have money to put into it, to keep it going til the profit comes in, and if you can get some real pros in there to make it legit, you can do it.
You need an attorney for it, but one with experience.
I'd suggest visiting some of the other big ones, and talking to them. They probably can give you some advice on it.
dc
Old February 16, 2013, 04:18 PM   #4
kilimanjaro

Talk to the NRA, they assist in range development. If you build it, they will come. You'll need to survey the whole parcel, fence the downrange portion to keep folks out, topo survey it for design and layout, you're going to have a lot of expense up front. Legal and insurance is not going to be cheap, either.

Instructors, range masters, shopping, events, lots of things to offer. Sanitation, parking, shade, retail sales, licensing, gun rentals, you name it.

Check out what the population is within a one-hour drive, two hours, four hours, and a full day on the road. Is lodging available for destination visits? If not, don't plan on big events.
Old February 17, 2013, 03:49 AM   #5
racereed

Thanks

Thanks,
What we were thinking was:

50yrd pistol range with concrete/steel backstop.

1000yrd rifle range set up like the Marines rifle range with dirt/concrete backstop

5 acre urban environment range split up into (two) different type of training ranges.

This might be out of our league. It was fun to talk about though. I wouldnt want to deal with FFL's or retail for a pro shop unless someone was willing to handel that seperate.

Anyways, thank you for your help.
Old February 17, 2013, 08:43 AM   #6
m674011

on your range set up 25 yds turning targets for bullseye shooter

check out nra web site for friends or nra find a perosn in your area ask question

with 900 arces maybe put up a very long big gun rifle range

like some posted be ready to fund it out of pocket for while

maybe get in touch with the outback in mcpherson kansas area

1-620-489-9407

they have a outdoor range

if you all have the time and warm weather around jan set up a money shoot

or a warm up to camp perry
Old February 18, 2013, 06:27 PM   #7
lmccrock

Quote:
50yrd pistol range with concrete/steel backstop.

1000yrd rifle range set up like the Marines rifle range with dirt/concrete backstop
If you do not own a dozer and loader, it is more expensive than you think to move the dirt around. Regardless, you have 900 acres and an unlimited supply of DIRT. No need for steel or concrete backstops. Shooting points, yes, backstops, no.

There is range near Stephenville, er, Mingus, called Tac Pro and it is well regarded. Close by there, you would have tough competition for business. There is also Tiger Valley, east of Waco. Both have 1000 yd ranges.

Decide if it is going to be a retail operation, open regular hours, say, 5 days a week. That means working weekends since that is when the customers are coming. Need at least 2 employees, one for the office (check-in/check-out shooters), and one watching the shooters.

Regardless, having an easy long range shooting opportunity would be cool.
Old February 19, 2013, 02:33 AM   #8
allaroundhunter

It would be hard to compete with TacPro on most terms. However, with TacPro being a private range, you might get some customers.

The unfortunate thing is, in my experience many long range rifle shooters (especially those that shoot at 1,000 yards) prefer to shoot at private ranges.