The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 25, 2008, 06:58 PM   #1
Tex S

Does anybody know...

Does anybody know how I can make Christmas get here faster so I can have all my reloading gear already? I have a brand new Forster Co-Ax sitting all wrapped up in my living room and the old lady won't even let me pick up the damn box, much less open it. I am about to wear out my computer mouse from browsing all of the reloading forums, and I have read 4 reloading books in the past two weeks. This is pure torture!

On the bright side, I think my bench is about to come home from the cabinet shop. That is a present to myself, from myself, so at least I can have it as soon as its finished.
Old November 25, 2008, 07:01 PM   #2
rn22723

Just make sure you have plenty of Forster die lock rings for you dies!
Old November 25, 2008, 11:38 PM   #3
Bboomer

Hee Hee... and xmas is a month away LOL.

Well lets see...

Do you have a place for the press? You got all the hardware, tools etc. needed to install it?

Got storage bins, shelving, trays, ammo boxes, calipers, scales, powder, reload manuals, dies, bullet puller, log or data book, adequate lighting & outlets around the press area, bullets & components, case trimmer, tumble machine, primers, powder, brass, case length guage, powder trickler t omention a few.

Then start planning as to what type molds you need then, start looking at melting furnaces, ladles, ingot molds, bullet sizer/lubricaters, luber dies and top punches and a lead source.

Then you can start thinking of your next loading press. In the mean time you can be searching for your next rifle or pistol, oh heck, next rifle and pistol purchase.

Now I dont know if you're interested in reloading shotshell or not, but why not. So now you need a shotgun reloader press....

You dont have a real need at this time for a lathe but I'm going to plant the idea anyway so keep your eyes peeled for a good deal.

Gun shows, you need to start making note of the upcoming local gun shows.

Hint: If not already, start tending to your guns and rifles. What I mean is, always keep fooling with them, exposing the wifey to them. After a short time after seeing you handle all those guns she'll loose track and won't be able to distinguish one from another. (thats the point) Now you're open to bringing in new purchases and she won't even know it. Same with your reloading equipment.

Annother sugestion, you gotta have TV in the loading room and oh yea, your computer too. If not already, you need to extend the lan and computer also.

Well, think about these suggestions, you can make a lot of these items yourself if you tinker. Maybe it will keep your mind busy till next Xmas.Its only 30 loooooong days a way.

Okay, you had better post some pictures of that baby when you git'r setup ya hear?

Congrats !
Old November 26, 2008, 07:39 AM   #4
CowTowner

Gotta be a first.......

Someone asking for help amplifying the torture his wife is giving him.

Makes me wonder...........................
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old November 26, 2008, 09:06 AM   #5
wncchester

"Does anybody know how I can make Christmas get here faster"

Well, yes. But I don't recommend it.

Last year I had a belly ache in early Nov. which turned out to be a blocked small gut. The surgeon who removed the clogged section didn't completly close it up so it leaked green and brown stuff into my abdomen. Further surgerys to correct that followed. They gave me anti-remember drugs as I lay in ICU for thirty eight days. When I got well enough for them to take that away I woke up and Christmas was only a few days away. I missed all of hunting season and Thanksgiving. Not fun but the time seemed really brief, at least to me if not my wife.

I think you would prefer to just wait it out. Hang in there!
Old November 26, 2008, 09:37 AM   #6
Sevens

Go work lots of overtime or find a second job. The money you make from that can be put toward powder, primers and bullets. The time will go quickly.

For the rest of your days you will NOT need to buy factory ammo, but you will be spending money on those three items on a regular basis.
Old November 26, 2008, 10:10 AM   #7
benzuncle

Tex, could you make use of the the Heineken commercial, you know the one, where the guy tears a hole in the wrapping paper and pulls out a bottle for himself, then sticks a bow on the hole, thus making the 6-pack a Holiday 5-pack? There must be a way to make this work for you. Come on, pal. You can do it! Happy Holidays.
Old November 26, 2008, 02:28 PM   #8
abber

Heck with her!

Do you have a cinder block? When the wife isn't home, open the package, take out the goodies, and replace em with the cinder block. If your wife is like mine, she wont even care about your bench, or anything on it. I've gone on covert shopping trips, come home and restocked my shelves with bullets, powder, primers, and the like without her ever even knowing about it. On Christmas day, you'll get into some trouble, but the brandy and eggnog usually makes them a little more forgiving (keep in mind as you read my advice, that I've been divorced twice, and married 3 times).
Old November 26, 2008, 03:18 PM   #9
cgaengineer

Just sleep!

As a kid we used to actually open stuff and re-wrap it.