The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 25, 2008, 06:20 PM   #1
PDshooter

Casted loads SKS....

Well I'm real cheap. Ammo is getting outrages for SKS. I've been hand loading since 86 and casting since 88. Most of it 45ACP.
Picked-up a Lee mold for my SKS 2 weeks ago and was going to go the range, but my old 53yr @$$ said differant this mornig. Got about #50 rds to blast with. 26gr of H4895 Lee 312-155-2r...mold
Shoot Shovel Shut-up!
Old November 25, 2008, 06:45 PM   #2
jpwilly

I'll bet those slide out slicker than snot in the chrome lined bore of an SKS! Let us know!
Old November 26, 2008, 06:34 PM   #3
darkgael

cast in SKS

I wonder how well you'll make out. The SKS is a gas operated firearm. Using lead bullets in a gas system is problematic. You may get fouling in the system. Keep a close eye on that.
Pete
Old November 26, 2008, 06:57 PM   #4
Arquebus

I tried that back in the late 1980s. I had a Russian SKS & a bunch of once-fired steel cases. I worked in a gun store at the time, so supplies were no problem, but being of an enquiring bent decided to reload them using cast bullets. I resized the WELL-LUBED cases in a FL size die, & reprimed them with 5.5mm RWS berdam primers. Don't recall the powder type/charge, but I cast some 130gn gas check bullets from linotype (very hard) & lubed them with RCBS rifle bullet lubricant. They shot quite well & cycled the action without a problem, but the gas port & tube got coated in lead in no time flat.
Go ahead & give it a try, but be prepared to use up some elbow grease getting the lead out.

The Memoirs of Barry Lyndon, Esq. (William Thackeray).
Old November 26, 2008, 10:41 PM   #5
jpwilly

Didn't occur to me that the gas system would get all messed up but yea, that might be a problem!
Old November 27, 2008, 10:29 AM   #6
Lunicy

I wouldn't worry. An SKS isn't an AR. An SKS has a massive, overpowered gas system. Keep it clean, but I wouldn't worry. BTW I shoot cast out of my SKS alot.
Old November 27, 2008, 10:49 AM   #7
kraigwy

I dont have an SKS, but I have shot tons of cast bullets out of M1s, M1A, and ARs I have never noticed any problems with the gas systems using cast bullets.

Check out www.castbulletassoc.org they have lots of informantion on cast bullets for gas guns.

Also in their mag. THE FOULING SHOT, they post a lot of results of matches using cast bullets in ever type gun and round you can think of. You can find loads for the winning rounds to help you get started.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old November 27, 2008, 07:16 PM   #8
robertbank

I shoot lead in my SKS and M 14 and have zero lead build up in the gas chamber. Shooting lead in military rifles is an art form and takes loading to a new level.

Take Care

Bob