The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 24, 2002, 07:23 PM   #1
Proshots

Beretta S686 Whitewing

Looking at one of these, mainly because I can afford it! Looking for opinions on 26" or 28" barrels in 12ga. My main purpose is skeet and upland hunting. Is the 26" enough to give me full performance from AA loads? Anyone have on these new guns? Pros and cons wanted. Thanks.
Old April 24, 2002, 08:44 PM   #2
rugerfreak

I have a 687 Silver Pgn II 20ga with 26in barrels-----very light and handy.

You won't lose any performance with the shorter barrels---get what size works best for you as far as handling.

The 26in will give quicker handling--while the 28in will be a little smoother--more fluid.

Get what feels better for you--so you don't drop a $1000 or so on something you don't like---I've done that before with an SKB 12ga. I bought it and hated it---lost quite a few bucks on trading it in.

I just bought my little Beretta and love it.

Seems like the Berettas feel the best to me---wish I knew that 10 years ago with that SKB--I hate the feel of the Weatherbys too--also made by SKB.

Hope this helps.
Old April 24, 2002, 09:47 PM   #3
Chuck Graber

Proshots,
If you look around your local skeet club you will probably see that many of the shooters have gone to 28" and even 30" barrels. The shorter barrels will not handicap you ballistically as modern shotshells use up most of the powders energy by the time it gets about 20" down the barrel. There is a slight increase of velocity from longer barrels but it is negligable.

Pick the gun that feels best and shoots best for you. If you do much upland and walk quite a bit, you might want a little lighter gun but the little added weight of the longer barrel will make the 28" gun a better shooter for you.

Chuck Graber
Old April 25, 2002, 04:08 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Proshots, it sounds like a good upland gun, and OK for Skeet.

The Beretta O/Us are excellent shotguns. Those 26" bbls will work fine in the field.