The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old March 5, 2013, 04:06 PM   #1
tahunua001

CMP Garand just knocked on my front door

nice springfield service grade, the wood is nicer than expected but still easily distinguishable from the new production that they slap on the special grades.

springfield barrel stamped 6-52.
throat measure 4.
bore measure 2.
288xxxx serial. I guess that puts it right at the end of April 1944.

I don't have anything that I can say for sure it garand safe except for some tracer and black tip and don't really want to waste that stuff on paper so I'll have to see about getting some M2 ball HXP from CMP next.

I have about 1400 rounds of HXP 303 brit and man that stuff is consistent and accurate... can't wait to see what it can do in a garand.

I'll post pics soon.

Last edited by tahunua001; March 5, 2013 at 04:18 PM.
Old March 5, 2013, 07:28 PM   #2
MMV.30

Sounds like you scored tahunua, congrats. I'm attending an Appleseed event this weekend to obtain my final requirement and then my paperwork is off to the CMP. I didn't know they still had Springfields with WW2 numbers left in SG. Did you tell them exactly what you wanted or you told them SG and you get what they grab off the shelf? Get those pictures up.
Old March 5, 2013, 07:40 PM   #3
tahunua001

you can choose what manufacture you want and a general condition but muzzle wear, throat wear, year of manufacture and mismatched parts are luck of the draw. I asked for service grade, that is a gun that actually met service requirements, there are several different grades, prices depend on grade.

most of the ones you see on here are service special grades: service grade parts with brand new stocks. they look pretty and normally have low wear but lose a lot of history in the process.

I was lucky, a DD214 can be used as proof of marksmanship skills so I didn't need to do any of that jazz... it's also a little sad because in the navy very few people even passed the pistol qualifications, no less took the extra initiative to qualify with rifles... I paid to qualify in both though... I think the navy rifle qual would be fun with an M1 instead of M16

another question for the masses, are CMP garands good to go out of the box or do they need a thorough strip and cleaning before shooting?
Old March 5, 2013, 07:55 PM   #4
1Hobie

I'd go ahead and give it a good cleaning JIC. Brownell's sell an adj. gas valve for your Garand that will allow you to shoot anything '06 through the gun. I have one and it works well without danger to the op rod.

Hobie
Old March 6, 2013, 07:40 AM   #5
CowTowner

Then again, you could always get a new hobby and hand-load for the M1. Some manuals (Hornady's for sure) have a section just for the M1 Garand.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy

Last edited by CowTowner; March 6, 2013 at 08:37 AM.
Old March 6, 2013, 12:13 PM   #6
tahunua001

I have the hornady book and I think sierra has M1 loads too. I'm kindof indecisive about it right now... a little experimenting is in order I'm sure... I don't even know if any of the powders I have has the right burn rate... I suppose I'll have to check with the reloading library today.
Old March 7, 2013, 10:26 PM   #7
stu925

Tahuna just out of curiosity how long did it take you get the rifle? Sent my paper work in in Feb and the the CS girl (Vicky) told me they're back logged about 60 days or so. I don't expect to see the rifle until the end of April but I can't help hoping it'll take less time.

Stu
Old March 7, 2013, 10:40 PM   #8
tahunua001

I put in my paperwork the the 30th of december and sent in my 2013 info in the 2nd week of january and got the dont bother us email on the 31st. garand left them last saturday and it showed up tuesday.
Old March 9, 2013, 09:34 PM   #9
stu925

I figured I'd be waiting a while, just looking to confirm the wait time. Oh well I can pass the time looking at pics of everyone else's garands.

Stu
Old March 11, 2013, 03:58 PM   #10
tahunua001

ok well today I took it down to inspect it, thing was bone dry but quite clean. a little CLP and it functions like a dream.

also every part I found with an identifier mark are all springfield so that makes me a bit happy. a lot of the springfields I see are amalgamations of winchester, springfield and H&R parts. aside from the stock having all the proofs defaced I would be willing to say it's nicer than the average service grade.

still need to load me up some garand safe loads so I can take her to the range.