The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 26, 2012, 09:25 PM   #1
sandman_nv

My Armory as promised in another thread

from the top:

Rogers and Spencer .44 Remmie with a Howell drop-in conversion cylinder.

Pietta Army Police .36 with a Howell gated conversion cylinder ( a challenge to install, Kirst next time! )

Pietta Nickel Navy Marshall .44. Never fired, too pretty to shoot. Considering selling this one.

Pietta .44 Navy in process of being tuned. Thinking about shortening the barrel on this one to resemble the Cabela's Wells Fargo Pocket Revolver. Really like the style on that one. The grip's a little beat up, I'll have to refinish that.

A funny little Twisty derringer .36 I picked up as a kit one day. This still needs to be finished, polished, etc.
Old January 26, 2012, 09:34 PM   #2
noelf2

Very nice indeed!
Old January 26, 2012, 11:29 PM   #3
Fingers McGee

Nice Sandman
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old January 26, 2012, 11:41 PM   #4
sandman_nv

thank you noelf2 and Fingers for your kind words
Old January 27, 2012, 12:13 AM   #5
Beagle333

Nice armory! I agree with you about the Marshall. I'd keep it new and shiny too.
Old January 27, 2012, 12:17 AM   #6
sandman_nv

dont know if you can tell from the photo, but the Marshall's cylinder is fluted, a feature i really like
Old January 27, 2012, 01:32 PM   #7
Fingers McGee

I've got a few of the Marshalls and they clean up real good after firing. Piettas high polish process is pretty good.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old January 27, 2012, 06:49 PM   #8
Doc Hoy

Sandman

Yep....I like them.
Old January 27, 2012, 06:52 PM   #9
Chris_B

tell me about the Police .36 and the conversion, please!
Old January 27, 2012, 11:46 PM   #10
sandman_nv

Gladly.

The loading channel in the frame was easy to cut - just hold the grinding stone in the right spot and make sure the metal doesn't get too warm. By the way, this is for steel frames only the manufacturer stressed, no brassers.

The hard part was attaching the ring. Two holes had to be drilled and tapped in the frame for the two attaching screws and this process required a very long drill bit. The manufacturer recommended using a drill guide but I did not buy one. Wish now that I had because I used the gated ring itself as a guide and I had a little difficulty keeping it steady while I drilled. But it all worked out well. The ring and cylinder fit perfectly, timing was excellent, and no other gunsmithing was needed. The original Police cylinder was fluted and I do miss that fluting, but overall I'm happy with the result. That's it in a nutshell, hope my description of the process was coherent.

I have since discovered that Hollow Base cartridges are recommended over regular ammo - not that common, but those can be purchased through Cabela's or Midway.