The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 21, 2009, 10:47 PM   #1
nickl405

9mm casting question

I'm looking to start casting 9mm bullets. I wanted to get a lee mold since they are cheap and ive used them for muzzleloaders. Any reccomendations about what bullet type, I'm looking at the 125 gr 2 ogive radius. Also I cannot seem to find it in stock anywhere. Thanks for any advice or where I can find one.
Old June 22, 2009, 07:45 AM   #2
sourdough44

I've used the 'tumble lube' type Lee mold for my 44. I've been thinking about another mold & Midwayusa.com seems to have some in stock. I've looked around some & they can be hard to find right now.
Old June 22, 2009, 04:39 PM   #3
Sky Master

I've had excellent results using Lee's 358-105 swc sized to .357, as this bullet was recommended by casters on http://castboolits.gunloads.com/
Old June 22, 2009, 06:02 PM   #4
Cloudpeak

Quote:
I've had excellent results using Lee's 358-105 swc sized to .357, as this bullet was recommended by casters on http://castboolits.gunloads.com/
One of my favorite bullets. With the 105's, my lead supply will last a looong time I have found that these bullets may not feed reliably in some pistols. They fed 100% in my full size M&P (sold) and in my Kahr CW9. I had some feeding problems in my CZ Compact and STI Trojan. The CZ mags would loose control of the round on occasion and I'd get a live round stovepipe & other "mishaps". I think the problem is in the feed lip design on the CZ.

My STI wouldn't feed 100% reliably with the factory supplied mag (made by Metalform) but does feed 100% with the Springfield Armory 9mm mags (also made by Metalform). The difference is how the mag is designed. The STI mag has a spacer down the back of the mag, the Springfield has a groove down the front. (The front of the Springfield mags needed to be modified to avoid contact with the barrel ramp in the STI.)

The Lee TL356-124-2R bullets out of my 6 cavity have been 100% in all of my 9mm's. I use the 105's for practice and the 124's for shooting plates.

Here's a picture of a target I shot in my CZ Compact with the 105's (5 shots):

Old June 23, 2009, 12:44 AM   #5
Seedtick

Quote:
Here's a picture of a target I shot in my CZ Compact with the 105's (5 shots):
5 shots?

You must be mistaken. I only see 1 hole.
That's some good shooting right there.

ST