The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 29, 2007, 07:03 AM   #1

Dehumidifier in cabinet

First, let me preface this question by saying I have zero knowledge of the "GoldenRod"-type dehumidifiers, as in how hot they get, etc.

After lurking here for quite a while, I have seen a few posts on storage of ammo. Since I seem to accumulate a lot of it due to the fact it is hard to pass up a good deal when found; I find I usually have enough for a year or two of hard shooting.

Anyway, I read one post about house fires and how the FD would likely be somewhat hestitant to fight a house fire if there is a large quanity of ammo in the house. So, I was thinking of building a cabinet in my garage which is a detached structure and storing my ammo there. The garage is unheated, relatively dry, but subject to changes in humidity (I live in the NE).

If I build a good insulated cabinet with decent weather striping on the door, would a rod-dehumidifier handle the mositure? Or would there be a heat issue?