The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 6, 2000, 12:35 PM   #1
nedfig

I want to reduce felt recoil and improve patterns on cylinder bore barrel while still being able to use 1 1/2" and 2 3/4" shells.

What is the difference between back-boring and forcing cone elongation? Or are they the same thing?

Thanks,
Ned
Old July 6, 2000, 03:29 PM   #2
Bud1

Backboring increases the entire diameter of your bore, from the forcing cone to the choke (if any). Lenghtening the forcing cone eases the transition in diameter from the chamber down to the bore.

Most of the benefits of these two modifications is in less shot deformation, as the shot has fewer "squeezes" to endure as it travels down the barrel. This will result in improved patterns.

Some folks say that either/both will decrease felt recoil as well. I am a high volume clays shooter, and I *think* can tell a slight decrease in recoil on guns that are both backbored and have lengthened forcing cones.

Bud
Old July 6, 2000, 07:42 PM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Some good shotgun smiths like Greg Wolf in Easton, Md will not backbore, but will do the forcing cone. Removing bbl steel can be chancy,according to Greg. I've had the forcing cones done(a couple by Greg), and regard it highly.

Thereis a reduction in recoil, but the amount is pretty close to un noticable. Patterns improve and become more even and dense.
Old July 6, 2000, 09:12 PM   #4
Bennett Richards

If you want good work done by a master, send the weapon to Hans Vang at www.vangcomp.com. He has done SCADS of jobs for elite LE departments and they just keep ordering more. I have NEVER heard a bad word either about the process OR about the man.

Can't go wrong.

Ben