The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 10, 2014, 08:26 AM   #1
Pyzon

Whatever happened to the Federal #1 Buckshot with the flight control wad ?

I was thrilled to read how well this new round performed, but when ammo disappeared, so did this. Now that most things are showing back up, this is still non-existent. I have a back order at Streichers that is now 18 months old. Did they switch production over to something else ?
Old September 10, 2014, 11:56 AM   #2
Chief Brody

It's still around. I see them pop up online from time to time. How much are you looking for?
Old September 10, 2014, 04:10 PM   #3
Erno86

Lucky Gunner seems to have some in stock, but I've heard that the #4 buck with the Federal's FliteControl wad is a more efficient round.

http://www.luckygunner.com

--- George Orwell

Last edited by Erno86; September 11, 2014 at 03:59 PM.
Old September 10, 2014, 06:41 PM   #4
Model12Win

#1 buck is considered the most effective of the buckshots for the defending of the home. It strikes the nice balance of penetration and overall wound cavity area, and it's what I keep in my M12 riot gun for home defense:

I use plain ol' Winchester 2 3/4" #1 buckshot shells as you (might be able to) see from the picture. I understand Federal has out the personal defense reduced recoil #1 buck with the flight control wad, but personally I don't see the point in it. At the distances one would use buckshot for personal defense, that wad is just going to keep all the pellets together. I'd rather have them spread a hair, and once buck strikes flesh it has a habit of going every which way (a good thing) but wouldn't that wad keep them all clustered together??

I very much like the Federal premium 00 buck 2 3/4" shells with or without the flight control wad for defense outside the home or for LE or even .mil use, but for inside I think the benefits of the flight control wad are lost and may even be a detrement to ballistc performance.

OP, if you can't find the shells you're looking for keep in mind you will be served equally well with other, more plain #1 buckshot loadings.
Old September 11, 2014, 08:19 AM   #5
Pyzon

Thanks for the help, folks.

Chief Brody, I have been waiting on that Streichers back order for 250 rounds. And LuckyGunner has lots of 00, no #1. 00 has been easy to find all along.

The flight control wad may indeed keep the pattern too tight for HD, but the coyotes hate it at 50 yards. The 4 buck has been a decent substitute.

I'll be patient, and who knows what will show.....