The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 13, 2012, 06:34 AM   #1
rebs

lead bullets

I have some old lead bullets for reloading in 45 and 357, they have a kind of oxidation on them like a whitish powder. Are they still good to use or is there something I should do to clean them first ?
Old January 13, 2012, 07:18 AM   #2
hornady

Personally I would not. But then I cast all my own bullets, I would re-melt them, but if you do not cast or do not want to sell them on here for lead. There are several ways they can be cleaned but after oxidation they will be under sized after cleaning. And Barrel too bullet fit is your main factor in cast bullet accuracy. Another concern if you were not a caster would be re-lubing them.
This can also be done very easily with lee tumble lube. But that stuff can be messy.
Old January 13, 2012, 08:00 AM   #3
hodaka

I would load and shoot them. They should not present any problem. Lead is soft, the oxidation layer is thin. I doubt you can tell the difference from newly cast ones.
Old January 13, 2012, 08:17 AM   #4
Don P

Load them up and shoot the hell out of them. I had the same thing with some that had been under the bench for a while. I loaded them up and all is good they went bang a little smoke. What else could you ask for
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old January 13, 2012, 08:30 AM   #5
Hal

Quote:
I have some old lead bullets for reloading in 45 and 357, they have a kind of oxidation on them like a whitish powder
Are they by chance Hornady?

Hornady uses a dry lube that's white.
Old January 13, 2012, 08:57 AM   #6
rebs

cast bullets

No they are not Hornady, they were cast by a friend of mine 30 some years ago. He has since given up the hobby and has sold of most of his equipment so melting and re casting is not an option.
The lube is still in all the grooves but they have a whitish look to them.
Old January 13, 2012, 09:21 AM   #7
jimkim

Old January 13, 2012, 09:27 AM   #8
rclark

Load 'em. Shoot 'em.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old January 13, 2012, 09:31 AM   #9
jimkim

I'm thinking that's lead oxide. I have some bullets cast just three years ago that are starting to oxidize. They still shoot fine. Mine are still the same diameter and shape though. I'd inspect them and see if they are breaking down. If they aren't I'd load a few and try them.
Old January 13, 2012, 12:44 PM   #10
dickttx

I have some Hornady 125gn and 158gn JHP's that I bought over 40 years ago. Both the loaded and the ones in the boxes had/have the white oxidation on the lead. Shot the loaded ones awhile back. They were loaded in Winchester nickel cases and most of the cases split but I don't think the oxidation had anything to do with it.
Old January 13, 2012, 12:45 PM   #11
rebs

thank you

I am going to take the advice and load 6 rounds and shoot them and see what happens, I was mainly concerned about excess leading in the barrel, however they are just as hard as they were when cast.
Old January 13, 2012, 02:52 PM   #12
black mamba

I would keep the velocity a little lower, in case the oxidation causes a lessening of the lube's effect on leading in the bore.
Old January 15, 2012, 08:32 AM   #13
savagelover

No really sure about this,but I was told that white on the lead bullet is poison....like arsnic or whatever...So I stay away from them...if you do a web search you will find out for sure...
Old January 15, 2012, 08:43 AM   #14
mehavey

I was just about to say "...don't rub the dust off..." in a closed room when SavageLover brought it up.
Lead oxide dust is definitely a no-no, big time -- but that just means use common sense/no-kidding-
hand-washing during & after handling.

http://education.jlab.org/itselemental/ele082.html

Last edited by mehavey; January 15, 2012 at 08:54 AM.