The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 26, 2006, 11:47 PM   #1
roy reali

Our Turkeys Are Tough Too!

Today, my wife and family went for a nice nature hike. This was on public land. This was also opening weekend for our Spring turkey season.

When we pulled into the parking lot, we started to load up. I had a 9mm on a belt holster and a single shot shotgun. A game warden approached us and asked if we were going to be turkey hunting. I replied that we were going on a nature hike. He told us that on opening weekend, only turkey hunters that were selected by draw could access this area. I told him the guns were for protection and that I did not intend to shoot anything.

He then told me that because of turkey season, on this weekend no one without a draw permit could enter the area with a shotgun. He said it is considered a gun capable of taking a turkey. I asked him about my nine.

He said there was no problem with that gun.

I guess our turkeys are so tough that a 9mm is not capable of taking one. Up until now I thought only our deer were involved with BALCO. I guess the turkeys learned something from our deer.
Old March 27, 2006, 12:12 AM   #2
FirstFreedom

What state? Why weren't you hunting? Turkeys in fact are tough - they can be easily lost because they fly a long way before they die, which is why most hunters insist on CNS hits - and since their CNS is so small (brain & spinal cord), this is why a shotgun is preferred - much easier to get a few pellets into the CNS when you're throwing out a lot of pellets. Not that a 9mm wouldn't work - it's just they can be real hard to find if they don't go down quickly.
Old March 27, 2006, 12:22 AM   #3
roy reali

Re:firstfreedom

I am in California. Unless you have access to private property, you don't go hunting on opening weekend.

I realize turkeys can be tough, but the way the warden treated my nine was like it would have been totally useless against turkeys. I had no intentions on shooting one, but what if was going to. A 9mm might not be the weapon of choice, but as you said, it might work.
Old March 30, 2006, 09:25 PM   #4
Anthony2

9mm not good enough for turkey?

While I have heard of this before in other states, I am still amazed. Did the game warden ever once mention, that you should perhaps not venture out on your hike? I would think common sense should have led him to at least suggest an alternative.

On the positive side, You were intelligent enough to plan on protecting your family. Maybe you should consider a game warden position, you are obviously more intelligent than said warden.

Turkeys are very tough if not hit in the CNS area. I know a man who shot a turkey 3 times with a 3 1/2" 12 ga...none of which hit the CNS area...and the turkey continued on to live another day.

Interesting Fact: Here in MI many people hunt them with Bows and arrows...occasionally they do run a SHORT distance. Unless of course, said turkey flies into a tree, dies, falls, and GETS STUCK, 20 ft. in the air!!!

Honestly, a true story I've seen it on film.

"Baaa or Freedom!" - Ted Nugent

"Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth." - Ghandi

"The Addiction to Guns, The only addiction to ever SAVE a life!"- Me
Old March 30, 2006, 09:34 PM   #5
Guyon

Hiking on public land where there are turkey hunters sounds like a recipe for disaster. I don't even like to hunt on public land where there are turkey hunters.

As for the 9mm, he probably just figured you had no intention of taking a shot at a turkey with the handgun. First chore would be getting the turkey close enough. Second chore would be hitting it in a vital area with one shot. Both are relatively tall orders. Still, both are certainly do-able.
Old March 31, 2006, 08:59 AM   #6
PSE

i wouldnt fly over public land in a F16 opening week of turkey season.
Old March 31, 2006, 09:06 PM   #7
Scorch

More of the steel skin genes showing up?

The game warden may have thought that because it wasn't a leagal firearm it was no problem??
Old April 1, 2006, 01:14 PM   #8
kingudaroad

I hope you don't like to gobble while you walk.
Old April 2, 2006, 09:32 AM   #9
Fremmer

Quote:
I realize turkeys can be tough, but the way the warden treated my nine was like it would have been totally useless against turkeys.
Well, I don't know about totally useless, but turkeys are tough. There is a reason that people use a 3 1/2 inch 12 ga. load for turkey. I've seen them shot with high-caliber rifle rounds, and they fly away. They have a pretty small vital area.
Old April 2, 2006, 07:49 PM   #10
TCman

A hunting partner of mine shot a turkey about 200 yards away with a 22-250, and the bird flopped around for a few minutes then calmy walked off.