The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 2, 2005, 11:34 AM   #1
JBA

Shortning Synthetic stock info

Has anyone shortined their systhetic stock? I have a Mossy with the hollow synthetic butt stock and would like to shorten it about 2 " and then mount the 1" recoil pad back on it.
I work with poly resins quite a bit, so will fiberglass resin or JB Weld or whatever stick to the synthetic stock?
I was thinking to cut the stock to length, sand the inside of the stock rough, fill in the inside stock void with Resin/Glass then mount the recoil pad with some PVA release and let cure?
What cha think?
Thanks JB
Old February 2, 2005, 03:31 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

The stocks are made of glass-bearing nylon. MOST glues and resins won't stick.

What many people do is fill the hollow stocks with hardware store expandable foam.

Many of the synthetic stocks have areas moulded in for the butt pad screws that are long enough to allow cutting down, and still have room to reinstall the screws.

Take a look at the area where the screws fit now and see if there would be a mounting area left after the cut.

If not, I'd recommend buying one of the new shorter stocks being made by people like Hogue and others.

Because of the tendency of nylon to reject adhesion of glues, I don't know of a neat, effective way to reinstall a pad if the mounding areas are removed by the cut.