The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 26, 2005, 07:09 PM   #1
308savage

1300 defender barrel

I decided I want to use my 1300 Defender to do some coyote hunting so I decided to switch out the barrel to one with rifle sights on it and that uses a choke system. The barrel I bought will not fit right on the defender. It wont fit because the ring that goes around the magazine to hold up the barrel is to far back because it is ment for a 1300 with normal magazine compacity. The problem with this is that now the barrel will not tighten down to the reciever. Does anyone know of anyone who makes an adapter or something? Anybody know what I should do?

Thanks
Old January 26, 2005, 08:19 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

Here's the options:
First, buy the right barrel.

Second, check with a gunsmith about buying a shorter magazine tube and it's mounting hardware.
Winchester only sells the tube and mounting assembly to qualified gunsmiths.

Third get a machine shop to make you a sleeve adapter.

Apparently some people who bought the Chinese "clones" of the Remington 870 shotgun are using steel bushing-like adapters to allow them to use genuine Remington barrels on the Chinese guns.

The Chinese gun has a longer magazine that holds 5 rounds instead of the Remington's 4.

This means the barrel support ring on the Remington is too far back.
They make up a simple tubular bushing that slips over the gun's magazine tube that acts as a spacer between the barrel support ring and the magazine cap.

My understanding is, they just assemble the barrel to the gun, screw the magazine cap on ALMOST tight, then measure the distance between the front of barrel support ring, and the back of the magazine cap.

Have a machine shop make a steel bushing that length, a snug slip fit over the magazine tube, and small enough in diameter to clear the barrel.