The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 25, 2011, 11:10 PM   #1
Hardcase

The Rossi 92 can shoot!

I keep telling myself that a bad day at the range is better than a good day of almost anything else, but today...whew. We were having wind gusts up to 35mph and it was around 45 degrees. And I didn't dress for it - no gloves or hat. I gave up on the front stuffing revolvers pretty quick - my hands hurt!

But I did find out that my latest load for my Rossi 92 short sporting rifle was the bees' knees!

That's at 75 yards with a tang sight and the stock front sight. It's a .357 Magnum. Lee's 158 grain flat nose cast from wheel weights with Lyman Alox lube, over 6.2 grains of Bullseye. That's 20 or so shots from a rickety table. It's not a very nice load for a revolver unless you really hang on, but, man, I like what it did with the rifle!

Oh, and I won a bid on a "Replica Vintage B/P Gun" that I'm picking up tomorrow. $65.

I have no idea...but I'm a sucker for sub hundred dollar deals.
Old November 26, 2011, 11:36 AM   #2
shafter

Yep those Rossi's can shoot! I recently bought one in 357 mag and am nothing but impressed with it. It feels very solid while being light and handy at the same time.

I took mine out deer hunting the other day and took home a nice partridge. I took his head off at 50 feet offhand. Yep, beautiful firearms.
Old November 26, 2011, 12:16 PM   #3
Water-Man

I really like mine. It's the Rossi/Puma 92 with the 20" Octagon barrel in .357 and, like yours, can shoot.
Old November 26, 2011, 01:35 PM   #4
Hardcase

I was really kind of surprised because that far away, the front sight covered a big patch of the target. I used the target sight, the one with the smallest hole. It's not much good for anything but target shooting, but with my old eyes, it really helps.

I put a few rounds through my Cimmaron Model P, but they were way too snappy for a fairly light gun. Or maybe I'm just getting soft!
Old November 26, 2011, 02:28 PM   #5
Hawg

I've got the carbine version in 44-40 and it is sweet.
Old November 26, 2011, 07:27 PM   #6
Hellgate

I have two of them (a blued & a SS in carbine). I have firelapped them and the before & after groups were significantly improved i.e. from 2" down to 1 1/2" @ 50 yds with BP subs. Before the advent of short stroke kits the Rossi '92 short rifle (20 octagon barrel) was the gun used by many of the top shooters in Cowboy Action. The shorter barrel was handier around props but the extra weight of the octagon barrel & curved butt plate gave it more stability for staying on target than the carbine.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)