The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 5, 2008, 03:05 PM   #1
Tatsumi67

To modify or not to modify, that is the question.

I recently bought a Winchester 120 at a gun show, it was a great deal and the gun was in great condition. I was looking for a cheap project 12 ga. and I had figured I had found once, after realizing that a 120 is compatible with Winchester 1300 after market parts thanks to the wonderful Firingline community.However, because I had never seen a 120 before it struck me as being slightly rare. Is it rare? Would it be a travesty to modify such a gun?
Currently schemeing on an AR-15 build.
Old January 5, 2008, 07:01 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

It's not rare.
As I recall, the 120 was a "Budget Model" of the Model 1200, which is very similar to the 1300.

I see no reason why you shouldn't modify the gun, since it has and will have no collector interest.
Old January 5, 2008, 08:04 PM   #3
Tatsumi67

Thanks! Its off to ATI I go then!
Old January 11, 2008, 08:58 PM   #4
GunnNutt

Haste makes waste?

While perhaps not anything "special", remember that none of the Winchester shotguns are made any more , nor their rifles (although somebody picked up the rifle licensing recently). To my way of thinking, anything old, or no longer made, is special. Depending on your project plans, why not get a cheap Moss 500 or a Mav 88 to butcher instead? They're easily replaceable, etc., and have many more accessories available.

Just my .02,
Jon
Old January 13, 2008, 12:03 PM   #5
Tatsumi67

You know, I went shooting with it recently,click here and I like it just the way it is. I knew about the winchester "restructuring" so might go for a mossberg 500...