The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old July 21, 2014, 11:13 PM   #1
Shane Tuttle
Staff

On the 10/22 Customizing Bandwagon

Seems like every time I get ready to buy a 10/22 to toy around with, I buy something else instead. Not this time...finally.

I bought a 50th Anniversary 1103 model (from Gander Mountain, no less) for a fair price. Thought about finding a used one or even buying a receiver from KIDD and build from there. Decided against that because I figured it would be more fun to learn on a complete rifle on my first go-around. The primary purpose is to have fun with it. I'm not looking to get into some kind of uber-competition. 50yds will likely be the usual distance with occasional 100yd distance, too.

1. What's your favorite sites to shop for parts?

So far, I have KIDD on the list and that's it.

2. I saw a couple of threads regarding triggers. Volquartsen, KIDD, and Magnum Research were some I came across. I'll be looking for a fairly light trigger pull. Ballpark in the 2lb. range. Ideas?

3. Looking for a "heavy" barrel. Weight isn't an issue. If there's a barrel that provides light weight along with excellent heat dissipation, I'm up for that as well.

4. I'm a big fan of Boyds' stocks. Are there others to consider? Their Evolution stock is something to my taste. I already have this on my Marlin 795 so I don't want the exact same thing for the 10/22.

5. Scopes (Yeah, here we go. Talkin' 'bout opening up a can of worms).

I went dizzy looking at all the possibilities. For 50-100yds it doesn't seem to be necessary to get anything with too high magnification. I'd really like to find good glass that's made here if at all possible for under $200. If not, I'd like to stay away from anything made in China. Tall order, I know.

I'm sure I'll have more questions but I think this will keep me busy for some time...

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old July 22, 2014, 12:19 AM   #2
Brotherbadger

I can't help you with everything, but i can recommend both Volquartsen and KIDD for triggers. Both are excellent.

As for stocks, I think Boyd's is the best(Hogue is nice too), but it depends on what you are looking for. 10/22s can either be just your basic looking stocks like Boyds, or you can go and find AR style stocks, Dragunov, Bullpup or a million other styles. Heck, i saw one the other day that made the 10/22 look exactly like a Garand.

As far as scopes, i would think any decent quality 1-4 magnification would work well. If you are looking for a budget scope(it is just a for fun gun, after all), Primary Arms has a nice 1-4x for around $120. I've also heard nice things about the 4x Nikon prostaff rimfire. It's apparently below $100 now.

If i were you, i would prioritize what you want to mod first. Since the possibilities are endless, it's easier to concentrate on one thing at a time. If it was me, i'd go with:

1. Trigger
2. Optics
3. Stock

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "
Old July 22, 2014, 12:20 AM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

I would stone the factory trigger to smooth it out. Save some ducats that way.
Old July 22, 2014, 01:53 AM   #4
1stmar

Hard to go wrong w either Volquartsen or kidd. However they are not cheap. Have to say, I have a green mt barrel that I paid $100 for, blue fluted, bull and with eley target it puts 10 shots into -1/4" at 50. Cheaper federal or cci is still less then 1/2". I'm using a Boyd stock. If you got the $$ for premium barrel everyone makes one, hart, shilen, etc. I have a friend who has a share and it's a shooter too. I don't think you have to spend huge bucks on the barrel.
Old July 22, 2014, 05:13 AM   #5
steveNChunter

Get the Volquartsen HP action kit and drop it into your factory trigger housing. It will give you that 2lb pull you are looking for but for a good bit less money than a complete trigger housing. It also gives you the bolt hold-open mod and extended mag release at the same time.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/928...ProductFinding
Old July 22, 2014, 09:05 AM   #6
joe45c

For a trigger job, I went with Brimstone. They offer a 3 tier choice starting at $35.00. I choose tier 2 for $70.00 and had the pull set at 2.5#. I really like the results. They will also , if you want make your bolt release from the lock back position by just pulling it back.
Old July 22, 2014, 10:48 AM   #7
zukiphile

10/22 customization. I've been down that expensive road. It is genuinely shocking how quickly one can turn that little serial numbered receiver into a $1000 firearm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveNChunter
Get the Volquartsen HP action kit and drop it into your factory trigger housing. It will give you that 2lb pull you are looking for but for a good bit less money than a complete trigger housing. It also gives you the bolt hold-open mod and extended mag release at the same time.
I've had both the KIDD and the Volquartzen sear, and I concur.

The KIDD is excellent. However, the Volquarzen sear is sufficiently light and safe. I have also hacked up stock triggers so they are so light that the bolt returning to battery trips the sear. There is a lower limit to how light a single stage 10/22 trigger can be, and Volquartzen does a great job getting there with a nice long, smooth and safe engagement.

Is the KIDD better? Yes. Is it worth four or five times more? It wasn't for me.

I have a 24 inch blued barrel I always mean to take to a show and sell, but I don't attend shows as much as I used to. Used it with subsonics on rabbits, and the whole rifle was still lighter than my BRNO#4. If you don't mind the balance point being a bit forward, that weight out front makes shooting a running target easier.
Old July 22, 2014, 02:02 PM   #8
Pahoo

How much do you want to tinker and spend ???

Shane,
There are so many good/great ways to go on these, as has been posted. In the end, the question becomes; How deep do you want to tinker and how much do you want to spend? I have seen fellas take these to gun shows and they never get their money back. To me, tinkering with these is half the fun and keep in mind that whatever you do, you can undo. ....

You can shoot for a 2.5 to 2.0Lbs. trigger but don't think you will settle for that. I like 1.5Lbs. and I have done some as low as 1Lb.-2.Oz. All crisp and clean. For starters, I like Volquartzen target hammers and then progress from there. ....

One thing I have never understood, is why Ruger does not issue these with Auto bolt release and synthetic recoil buffers as standard. .....

Good Luck and;
Be Safe !!!
Old July 22, 2014, 10:23 PM   #9
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brotherbadger
As for stocks, I think Boyd's is the best(Hogue is nice too), but it depends on what you are looking for.
As far as scopes, i would think any decent quality 1-4 magnification would work well. If you are looking for a budget scope(it is just a for fun gun, after all), Primary Arms has a nice 1-4x for around $120. I've also heard nice things about the 4x Nikon prostaff rimfire. It's apparently below $100 now.
If i were you, i would prioritize what you want to mod first. Since the possibilities are endless, it's easier to concentrate on one thing at a time. If it was me, i'd go with:
1. Trigger
2. Optics
3. Stock
I have the idea of finding something somewhat similar to the Evolution by Boyds'. The only reason why I don't want Boyds' is I already have one on my Marlin and would like to have something different. I LOVE their stocks and I highly recommend them.

The salesman at Gander showed us the Nikon you're talking about. We didn't like it...we LOVED it. The price tag doesn't scare me. Seems like $150 was a very fair price for a well built scope. I was impressed with the glass, features, and warranty. Haven't done much research yet if it's made in China or not, though.

Your basic order of priority is just about the same as mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4V50 Gary
I would stone the factory trigger to smooth it out. Save some ducats that way.
I might do this for the sake of learning how to do it. If I'm changing it out later anyway, I don't see the harm in finding out how nice I can make the stock one feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveNChunter
What is the advantage of having the "bolt hold-open mod"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukiphile
10/22 customization. I've been down that expensive road. It is genuinely shocking how quickly one can turn that little serial numbered receiver into a $1000 firearm.
Yeah, I know. It's insane what money you can dump into these. I don't mind the overall price tag too much since I'll be doing it a little here and a little there at a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahoo
In the end, the question becomes; How deep do you want to tinker and how much do you want to spend? I have seen fellas take these to gun shows and they never get their money back. To me, tinkering with these is half the fun and keep in mind that whatever you do, you can undo. ....

You can shoot for a 2.5 to 2.0Lbs. trigger but don't think you will settle for that. I like 1.5Lbs. and I have done some as low as 1Lb.-2.Oz. All crisp and clean. For starters, I like Volquartzen target hammers and then progress from there. ....

One thing I have never understood, is why Ruger does not issue these with Auto bolt release and synthetic recoil buffers as standard. .....
Tinker 'til the cows come home?
I'll never expect to sell it later. Even if I do, I won't expect to get anywhere near what I put into it.

I figure whatever the total is the total is. If I need to spend more than expected, I can save up for the next part and such. I'm in no hurry to build it.

Would a 1.5lb pull really be much different than 2lb?

I'm guessing Ruger knew most of us would catch the bug to tinker with the platform. So why should they put extra stuff on their guns and charge a higher price?

Old July 23, 2014, 08:19 AM   #10
9x19

I'm a lightweight fan myself, so I prefer synthetic stocks and light barrels (tapered steel or CF/aluminum sleeved bull barrels).

I'm trying one of Kidd's ultra-light barrels on my latest rifle (I have Tactical Solutions and Volquartsen barrels on others). I'm still using the Volquartsen (or Power custom) replacement hammer, and judicious polishing of the factory trigger group. That gets light enough for me, but all of my gun see time afield and I don't shoot much from a bench.

The bolt hold open mod just makes it easier to release the bolt once manually locked open. Since it does not lock open on the last round, for me it is one of those "because you can" rather than "because you need to" mods.

To release the manual bolt-hold open you hold back on the bolt, then depress the release, then release the bolt. After modification, you can simply draw back the bolt and the hold-open drops out of the way on it's own. I don't lock my bolt open very often, so the mod isn't a must do for me.

Good luck and have fun.
Old July 23, 2014, 11:11 AM   #11
Panfisher

I went down that road for a little ways also, and it was a LOT of fun, however I turned around before I got completely out of sight. I truly enjoyed the "tinkering" with mostly factory parts and such instead of buying drop in parts. I did buy an A&B barrel from Midway. Shooting it for competition against myself was also a good time. I modified the factory stock to the target barrel. In the end I bought a take off ruger standard synthetic stock from the internet for $25 and re-installed the factory light barrel, added a set of Williams Fire sites as the original factory ones just didn't work for me. now the modified stock and heavy barrell just gather dust in the corner. But that was just me getting bored with it all and wanted my old 10/22 back.
Old July 23, 2014, 01:32 PM   #12
Pahoo

Yes, we have caught the bug !!!

Quote:
Would a 1.5lb pull really be much different than 2lb?
When you purchase the target hammer from, let's say Volts or Power Customs, they list and "estimated" pull of 2.5lbs. because of many factors, they can't be exact. I can live with that, from them and then tweak it down to less; Say estimated of 1.5Lbs. or less and yes, ya can tell the difference. ....

Quote:
I'm guessing Ruger knew most of us would catch the bug to tinker with the platform. So why should they put extra stuff on their guns and charge a higher price?
That is the funny part as they would actually save money if they did. Nothing extra, just different. On the one hand, you have a machined steal bolt stop that can be replaced my a synthetic rod, cut to length. The Marlin-60, comes with a plastic buffer as standard.....

Be Safe !!!
Old July 23, 2014, 05:43 PM   #13
steveNChunter

I have the Volquartsen action kit, buffer pin, firing pin, and extractor in my 10/22. It still has the factory stock which I've floated, done away with the barrel band, installed a pillar in the takedown screw hole, and it still has the factory carbine barrel. This is a ten-shot group at 50 yards using CCI standard velocity ammo. If I were to weigh sort and measure the rim thickness I could probably do away with the occasional fliers. I'm going to stick with the factory look and feel and have the factory barrel re-crowned and Bentz chambered. At the same time I'll also have my gunsmith machine the bolt for tighter headspace. I think it shoots pretty darn good already for a skinny factory barrel. By the way, I've tried several different types of ammo, including Eley Match, SK Standard Plus, Federal Match, and Norma Tac 22. The lowly $40 brick of CCI SV consistently out shot them all. That may change however after the Bentz chamber.

Last edited by steveNChunter; July 23, 2014 at 06:08 PM.
Old July 23, 2014, 07:21 PM   #14
Colt46

I dare you to stop at one

Once you start to see possibilities of what can be done you realize that just one rifle limits you.
Old July 23, 2014, 09:10 PM   #15
Darker Loaf

Volquarsten makes bull barrels in both the traditional heavy variety and carbon fiber tensioned barrels as well as aluminum tensioned barrels that are pretty light: https://www.volquartsen.com/tags/5-barrels
Old July 24, 2014, 12:05 AM   #16
Viking343

I haven't seen any mention yet regarding optics, so I'll throw in my 2 cents. If you're looking for quality glass, at a decent price, you can't go wrong with a Nikon P-22. I have one on my 10/22, and I love it. 2-7x32, has a focus ring for the reticle, comes with extra turrets for high velocity ammunition, lifetime warranty, and comes in at less than $200. They are definitely worth a look.
Old July 25, 2014, 09:07 PM   #17
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt46
Once you start to see possibilities of what can be done you realize that just one rifle limits you.
Oh, I'm sure this will have a stablemate soon enough.

Old July 26, 2014, 12:18 PM   #18
mxsailor803

Have you went over to rimfirecentral.com? That forum has tons of information and builds to give you some possible other ideas. Kidd has some of the best components I've found. Are you going to do any bolt work? At least put a slight radius on the rear part of the bolt that contacts the hammer. It will smooth it out a lot. I also make my own teflon buffer pins. You can find the diameter you need at some hardware stores and buy it by the foot and make 7-8 pins for the same price as buying 1 pre-made.
Old July 26, 2014, 07:11 PM   #19
Pahoo

Better than the OEM machined bolt stop

Quote:
I also make my own teflon buffer pins.
That sounds even cheaper than the last one I made, out of a Nylon threaded screw that cost me; 0.32Cents .....

Be Frugal and;
Be Safe !!!
Old July 26, 2014, 07:40 PM   #20
mxsailor803

When you have several 10/22 based actions, it just makes sense lol. These things are very addicting though.
Old July 27, 2014, 10:32 PM   #21
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxsailor803
Have you went over to rimfirecentral.com? That forum has tons of information and builds to give you some possible other ideas. Kidd has some of the best components I've found. Are you going to do any bolt work? At least put a slight radius on the rear part of the bolt that contacts the hammer. It will smooth it out a lot. I also make my own teflon buffer pins. You can find the diameter you need at some hardware stores and buy it by the foot and make 7-8 pins for the same price as buying 1 pre-made.
Yes, I have. Great board. But this is my home base.

Looking into doing my own bolt work, for sure.