The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Closed Thread

Old July 3, 2010, 04:01 AM   #1
troy_mclure

carry a sidearm during elk hunt in colorado?

is it legal to carry a sidearm during the elk rifle season in colorado?

(my workplace webblocker wont let me look at colorados hunting brosure/laws).
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old July 3, 2010, 07:49 AM   #2
elkman06

I don't know Co laws but one thing to consider,,while it is completely legal to open carry handguns in most of the western states, it does not mean you can use them to dispatch an animal unless they are an approved caliber for hunting that creature. At least this is stressed in Wyo. I love my .357 but it is NOT an approved hunting cartridge for big game and I am in violation of the law if I shoot my wounded elk with it.
I would suspect that this is just an open carry question, or at least it should be. Should not really have anything to do with whether or not you are hunting.
elkman06

"Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6"
Old July 3, 2010, 08:56 AM   #3
taylorce1

elkman06 pretty much hit it on the nose. In CO if you are going to dispach a large game animal with a hand gun it must be a minimum of .243/6mm caliber and have 500 ft-lbs of energy at 50 yards as rated by manufacturer. The smallest legal traditional handgun cartridge that I can find that meets these requirements is a .41 Remignton Magnum, anything smaller than that doesn't meet the ft-lbs.

If you want to carry just to carry then you can carry anything you like but leave it in the holster unless you are shooting small game or varmints. There isn't a big enough bear problem in CO to need one for them. Plus if you aren't from Colorado already you may not want the extra weight of a sidearm when hiking around the mountains chasing elk.
Old July 3, 2010, 12:30 PM   #4
troy_mclure

some states forbid carrying a handgun while hunting, thats why i ask.

my dad saw 1 bear, 2 lion, and a crapload of yotes in the 10 or so years he is been going there.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old July 3, 2010, 12:33 PM   #5
moosemike

I never carry my handgun to back up my rifle because if I have a problem with a dangerous animal I prefer my rifle anyway.
Old July 3, 2010, 05:18 PM   #6
30-30remchester

Yes it is legal to carry any handgun while hunting here in Colorado. However if you have a rifle capable of downing deer and elk I dont know why you would rely on attempting either hunting or protecting your life with something as small and weak as a handgun.
Old July 3, 2010, 11:55 PM   #7
troy_mclure

because i can turn and draw and aim a handgun much faster than i can unsling a rifle/swing it around, bring it to sholder, and try to find a close target thru the scope.
Old July 4, 2010, 09:08 AM   #8
Daryl

Quote:
because i can turn and draw and aim a handgun much faster than i can unsling a rifle/swing it around, bring it to sholder, and try to find a close target thru the scope.
You'll find a few around here that are of the mistaken idea that handguns are useless. They can't see any reason to carry one, and if they don't, no one else should either.

Others realize that a rifle is easy to set down, and may not be at hand if/when needed. I wear a handgun any time I'm wearing a belt, and hunting is certainly no exception. Like my cell phone and Leatherman tool, it has it's uses.

Daryl
Old July 4, 2010, 09:38 AM   #9
troy_mclure

plus i wont have to haul my heavy rifle back and forth while lugging out loads of elk.
Old July 4, 2010, 02:24 PM   #10
doofus47

When I muzzle or rifle hunt in national forest in Colorado, I open carry a Tokarev 33. One of my hunting partners carries a .40, the other a 9mm. None of us are under the illusion that these are hunting sidearms.

Apparently, the powers-that-be feel the same way: no one has yet heckled us.
Old July 4, 2010, 05:20 PM   #11
elkman06

Quote:
plus i wont have to haul my heavy rifle back and forth while lugging out loads of elk
You know, I subscribed to this mentality once. Now in all honesty, I was only carrying a .38 smith. That being said, a 500lb bear at 20 yds will convince you that there is some validity to the phrase " A pistol is only good for fighting your way back to the rifle you should not have dropped in the first place"

I have daughters, I have faced a bear,,etc. I carry my old 06 w/ me in the summer time too, not just when I smell like fresh killed elk. To each his own I guess.
elkman06

Old July 4, 2010, 05:29 PM   #12
Darren007

Quote:
I was only carrying a .38 smith. That being said, a 500lb bear at 20 yds will convince you that there is some validity to the phrase " A pistol is only good for fighting your way back to the rifle you should not have dropped in the first place"
At 20 yards a handgun in an appropriate caliber will do you more good than that '06. Your made up phrase is only validated by the fact that you chose to carry a .38 special.
Old July 4, 2010, 06:10 PM   #13
moosemike

Quote:
At 20 yards a handgun in an appropriate caliber will do you more good than that '06.

Thanks anyway, I'll stick with the '06.
Old July 4, 2010, 06:17 PM   #14
rikasam

I hunt Idaho, we have a lot of things that might try and eat you here. Griz, wolves, black bear, cougar. During hunting season I carry either a s&w 629 44 mag or a ruger black hawk 45LC as a sidearm.
Old July 4, 2010, 08:25 PM   #15
elkman06

Quote:
Thanks anyway, I'll stick with the '06.
yep, me too.
Anyway, one aspect I saw work against a hunter was that he had both. A 44mag along w/ his rifle as well. When the buck got up, he struggled to make that split second decision. Pretty sure he would have been lunch had it been dangerous game.
Anyway, like I said,,,to each his own..
elkman06

Old July 4, 2010, 09:26 PM   #16
crghss

oh Boy, now you've done it.

Quote:
can turn and draw and aim a handgun much faster than i can unsling a rifle/swing it around, bring it to sholder,
Well, you got the legal answer. Now the fun starts.
Old July 5, 2010, 02:45 PM   #17
30-30remchester

TROY I didnt mean to insult or demean you in my post. I was just curious as to why anyone would want a handgun when a more powerful and accurate alternative was in their hands. I live deep into the mountains and go nowhere unarmed myself, however when big game hunting I never felt a need for a handgun myself. That however is just me, do whatever makes you happy. When I pack animals out of the woods I leave my rifles at home and pack a handgun. I believe you will surprised how fast you can get a rifle into the fight and how slow it can be getting a handgun unholstered and into action while you are already burduned by a rifle.
Old July 5, 2010, 03:58 PM   #18
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Gathering firewood, taking a dump and doing the paperwork, gutting and quartering your kill, golly, I can't think of any time in the woods when you might find a rifle in your hands inconvenient....but then I'm kind of simple that way. You can sling the rifle but if its slung right so you can do your chores then its unhandy to get back into play. Big powerful revolver beats the heck out of that skinning knife or hatchet or buck saw in my opinion but that's just me.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old July 5, 2010, 04:24 PM   #19
Edward429451

Quote:
A 44mag along w/ his rifle as well. When the buck got up, he struggled to make that split second decision.
What split second decision? He either has a rifle in his hand (no choice needed!) or he doesn't / it's slung in which case it's the 44 because it can be brought to bear faster than a slung rifle. When you walk all day in those mountains, the Rifle can have occassion to be slung. Not very much but it does.

I have a 44 Mag backup when hunting. Aa 7.5" RH in a superb leather cross chest holster from WildAlaska @ Wild West Guns which keeps that 44 Mag right where it needs to be in front when my Rifle is slung in back. I haven't been charged by any animals but I gave an Elk a finishing shot with it, which was more appropriate than a Rifle round at that time.

Belt holsters don't work for this, unbalanced and heavy. The only thing that works that I have found is that Cross chest rig from WWG. The weight is so evenly distributed that it's no burden to carry, leaves the hands free and does not interfere with carrying or shouldering a rifle.
Old July 5, 2010, 05:43 PM   #20
elkman06

Quote:
What split second decision? He either has a rifle in his hand (no choice needed!) or he doesn't
Sorry there Ed, I should have clarified,,,the rifle was slung on his shoulder. He completely fumbled the situation, finally taking a poorly advised shot w/ the pistol. MY point was: he had a hard time making a good decision w/ buck fever..I cannot imagine him trying to make a decision on his livelihood w/ a dangerous animal. Some thing to consider for those who don't constantly have nerves of steel, perfect situational awareness, and cat like reflexes.
elkman06

Old July 5, 2010, 05:47 PM   #21
ZeroJunk

Don't know about Wyoming, but I have bow hunted quite a bit in Montana and always carried a 44 Mag. Not only do they allow it, but the officers if in an off the record conversation will tell you that you are nuts if you don't.
Old July 5, 2010, 07:47 PM   #22
elkman06

Quote:
bow hunted quite a bit in Montana and always carried a 44 Mag
Thankfully Wyoming now allows this. Up until ..last year(I believe, I could be wrong by a year) we could not carry one while bow hunting. Luckily, I don't hunt near Griz, nor wolves. This keeps me out of trouble I'm sure. Unfortunately every G&F officer I have talked to does not like this law.......stupid..... they appear to believe will will decimate the critters during bow season.
elkman06

Old July 6, 2010, 08:06 AM   #23
locnload

I always carry a sidearm while elk/deer hunting in Colorado. Its not really about a "finishing shot" for a large animal, its about the same reasons that many of us CCW on a daily basis. You are much further away from help from 911 than ever if you could even reach them. I have encountered everything from scumbags scoping out my truck as I came out of the woods, to packs of wild dogs looking for anything they could chase down and eat.
Colorado Division of Wildlife says you can carry a sidearm but that it must be in plain view. As you can imagine it can be difficult to keep your pistol in the open when dressed for November weather in the high country. I E-Mailed the Division of Wildlife and ask if my valid CCW permit would exempt me from that rule. I received a reply saying that it did, I printed that reply and carry a copy of it with me in my vehicle whenever I am out hunting. Game Wardens like regular cops, dont always know the exact interpetation that their agency has on all rules. That print out gives me an affirmative defense if stopped by a DOW warden who doesn't like civilian CCW.
Old July 6, 2010, 08:21 AM   #24
FrontSight

My guide carried a 1911 when I bowhunted in CO...we saw some bear sign, like claw marks at 6 feet on one tree...sure made me happy that he had it.
Old July 6, 2010, 08:30 AM   #25
n7qvu

In AZ, it's illegal to carry a pistol while bow hunting.
JWsGUNs.com FFL-07, NFA SOT-C2.
Closed Thread