The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 30, 2009, 12:18 PM   #26
Nite Ryder

Benelli Nova 12 Ga

I have a Benelli Nova 12 gauge shotgun with the 18-1/2" barrel and ghost ring sights. One thing in the Nova's favor is it's a lot of shotgun for a cheap price, think mine was about $350 new. It looks different, yes, but the action works smoothly, it will shoot 3-1/2" 12 gauge shells (most 12 gauges's won't) it has decent rifle sights (good if you are using slugs) and it doesn't rattle, once you remove the plastic plug from the mag tube, sling swivels are already installed. Only thing missing is an extended mag tube. I've shot only slugs in mine, it's a smooth bore, but out to 50 yards it's almost as accurate as my two Remington's with rifled barrels. I use Lyman 525 grain slugs in a plastic shotcup. I mold the slugs myself from wheel weights, and with a shotcup, no part of the slug touches your barrel. So, there are no marks from your gun on the slugs (so the slug can't be traced to your gun), and no lead in your barrel from the slugs. They recoil, but who cares if push comes to shove. These slugs will shoot through a vehicle body, and through anything in the vehicle.

NR
Old July 1, 2009, 05:43 AM   #27
earlthegoat2

High quality: Yes

Overpriced: Yes
Old July 1, 2009, 07:14 PM   #28
Anticonn

Quote:
High quality: Yes

Overpriced: Yes
870 Express 18" MSRP: $372
Ghost Rings: $80

Nova 18.5" MSRP: $429
Ghost Rings: $0

Also the nova is chambered in 3.5", won't rust if you even mention water, and I believe it's lighter. For a basic pump you get more for the money.
Old July 2, 2009, 04:41 PM   #29
mathman

benellis are not the softest shooting (nor the hardest) semi autos...but IMO they are the best.

#1 simple
#2 reliable (see #1)
#3 easy to clean (see #1)
#4 lightweight (which matters when you're humping it around hunting)
Old July 2, 2009, 06:57 PM   #30
earlthegoat2

Quote:
Also the nova is chambered in 3.5", won't rust if you even mention water, and I believe it's lighter. For a basic pump you get more for the money.
All Benellis except the Nova are overpriced. I find it quite odd indeed that Benelli can make a shotgun like the Nova that is priced quite nicely for what it is yet they can also make some of the most over priced semi autos for what you get with them.
Old July 2, 2009, 07:01 PM   #31
Old Wanderer

I bought one of the 1st Benelli shotguns imported here back in 1978. (121M). It is utterly reliable, deadly accurate, and a joy to shoot.

I can afford what I want, and for my SD gun, it is still the antique 121M Benelli.
Old July 2, 2009, 07:23 PM   #32
hdjeff

Love my Super Nova. It will digest anything. I paid $399 for it with a 24" barrel with choke tubes, so I think the price is great!
I can't, however, find another barrel anywhere. Looking for the 18.5" tactical barrel.
Old July 2, 2009, 08:44 PM   #33
jmr40

You are wasting your time looking for another barrel. Even if you find one you will be able to buy the whole gun for only a few dollars more, maybe less.
Old July 3, 2009, 02:20 AM   #34
Anticonn

Quote:
All Benellis except the Nova are overpriced. I find it quite odd indeed that Benelli can make a shotgun like the Nova that is priced quite nicely for what it is yet they can also make some of the most over priced semi autos for what you get with them.
Fair enough, I haven't gotten to shoot any of their auots, mostly because the pricetag stops me from buying
Old July 3, 2009, 02:28 PM   #35
APGHunter

Ive got a M2 in APG camo, hence my handle, and it is a very reliable semi shotgun. It took me a little while to get used to the inertia system verses gas operated but now I believe it to be a much cleaner system. I would really like to find an M4 but thats almost impossible to get locally at a fair price

Last edited by APGHunter; July 3, 2009 at 02:31 PM. Reason: cant spell
Old July 3, 2009, 04:49 PM   #36
greyson97

I have an M4 like i stated earlier, and i LOVE it. it cost ~$1600. But it does everything I need, even shoot skeet with a barrel extender with a imp mod choke. and I haven't even looked at another shotgun since. Havent shopped, or even considered a new shotgun. and I dont want another
Old July 4, 2009, 07:58 AM   #37
FP2000H

SuperNova Tactical

I grabbed one of these from a local store for about $450 out the door. It's the version with ghost ring sights, pistol grip, 18.5" barrel. I am very happy with this shotgun. The pump is smooth and slick. It feeds up to 3.5" shells (although my shoulder thanks me for not electing to fire those with any regularity) and I've never had an issue with it. I think it is a well made gun for the price although I agree that to afford a Benelli semi-auto is a small fortune so I won't be doing that anytime soon. If I had the money, that might be a different story. I added a mag extension and still want to trick it out with a few more add-ons. The receiver is tapped so I have visions of an Aimpoint Micro T-1 occupying that space someday. I handled the Benelli and a Mossberg 590. Something about the Benelli beckoned me to buy and I've never looked back. Not that I wouldn't own a Mossberg but the Benelli is a great gun.
Old July 5, 2009, 11:35 AM   #38
CUBAN REDNECK

Hard to find spare parts/barrels

Good shotguns, hard to get spare parts, Benelli needs to work on a better distribution network since thay don't sell to the general public.
Old July 6, 2009, 12:49 PM   #39
Nite Ryder

Benelli Shotguns

I think the term "over priced" is a state of mind. I only own one Benelli and it is a Nova Pump, so I'm not a Benelli fan at all. But I've never talked to a Benelli owner who didn't like his shotgun. I think all of them will shoot any shell from 3-1/2" to 2-3/4" with out having to make any adjustments. You can't say that for most pump and semi auto loaders. Benelli makes a good shotgun for the money. It you think they are over priced, check out the Perazzi with their top of the line priced at over $100,000, and all you get is a fancy grade O/U.