The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 30, 2005, 09:43 PM   #1
MPP1423

Wonder Lube On Top Of Ball

Ok Mike,this Is For You!lol.i Used The Lube Instead Of The Wads Today In My 58.its Not Too Bad I'll Admit But It Is A Little Messy.lol.i Think I'll Stay With My Wads Though.this Was With One Of The Cylinders I Had To Heat,no Problems.shot Like A Champ.damn I Love These Guns!!!guess Thats Why I Have 3 Of Them.i Do Want A 36 Cal And A 31.im Not Sure If I Want The Rem Model Or Colt In The 31 Cause I Like Them Both.any Of Yall Had Any Dealings With The 31 Cal's?
Old December 1, 2005, 07:18 AM   #2
Remington kid

Kevin, I don't like wonder lube on it's own. Ad about 2/3 bees wax and it's not as messy and it still lubes the works.Also keep in mind that it takes very little to help keep things running smoothly and make cleaning easier.
The 1861 .36 Navy will be my next revolver. I had one years ago but never had much time to mess with it so I sold it.Don't know a thing about the .31 but I'll bet it would be fun to shoot.
Old December 1, 2005, 11:22 AM   #3
Steve499

This may be a long post, just remember, Kevin, you asked about a .31!

My great-great grandfather had an 1848 Colt pocket model in .31 caliber he carried in the Civil War. The barrel and frame have different serial numbers, no idea how that came about, but after he died it was passed on to his son. My great-grandfather had two sons and by the time my grandpa and great-uncle were boys, that old colt was just " Grandpa's old pistol" and was given to them to play with. They lost track of it and about 1940 or so, my uncle dug it up out of the chicken yard on the original home place. It was pretty much a lump of rust as you could imagine, but he showed it to grandpa and my great uncle Frank who told him the story. Uncle Frank decided he had been the one who left it laying outside and it got covered up somehow. My uncle who dug it up had it for years and would work on it from time to time, cleaning it up. Around 1975 or so, he gave it to me and I worked on it too. It has all new screws and springs and I made one piece walnut grips for it. I didn't try to replace the nipples because I know me and I would have to shoot it if it had good nipples on it! The bore and chambers are pitted but the overall condition of the gun is quite good, given it's history. It functions normally, the cylinder lines up and locks and everything. I bought an original .31 two cavity bullet mould at a farm sale, one cavity a round ball and the other one conical. In 1994, I gave the old Colt with the mould to my son, who has it now. The thing has zero value, economically, but it's priceless to me.
So, I really don't have any shooting experience with a .31 revolver but I sure have spent some time with one.

Steve
Old December 1, 2005, 11:42 AM   #4
MPP1423

Man Steve,thats Cool As Hell!!i Like The Colt 1849 As Well As The Remington Model But I Dont Know Which I Want And Thats Bad Cause That Means In Time I'll Have Both.lol.

Mike,i'll Try That W/the Beeswax.now How Again Do You Mix That,melt It All Together Or What?i Want A .36 Too.
Old December 1, 2005, 12:20 PM   #5
Remington kid

Kevin, When mixing this stuff I go more by looks than by weight or volume. I slap a gob of bees wax in a pan and guess at 1/3 less than the bees wax for the lube, Works for me! My wife gave me one of the single electric burners for my shop and a all her old pans. I'm always mixing up something and I guess she figures she can keep me out of her kitchen this way I also use a wooden spoon to mix it well as it's melting then just take the pan off and let it cool. After it's cool check the consistencie of your mix. If it's to stiff ad a little more lube or olive oil, to thin ad more bees wax.
Keep in mind that if you are useing this for a seal over the ball you want it fairly stiff so it doesn't shoot off or melt before you want it too. If you want a good lube for the cylinder pin, star on the cylinder, front of the cylinder and so on then I would use a light coat of the wonder lube as is.
It seems that so many people like to use a stiff waxie lube for everything and it just doesn't work well as a lube for the moving parts. The more wax you have in it the more gummie it will become.

Steve, That .31 sounds like something not only to keep near and dear to your heart but just the idea that your great, great Grandpa carried it in the war is enough to make me never let go of it. It makes you wonder how many times he had to use it and how good he would feel knowing where it is now.
Old December 1, 2005, 01:08 PM   #6
MPP1423

Thanks Mike,i'll Get Some Worked Up And Give It A Try.
Old December 1, 2005, 02:55 PM   #7
Steve499

About the lube making, after it's all melted together and has cooled a little but is still liquid, if you will pour it out into a styrofoam container and then put it in the freezer (or outside on a day like today), the lube will pop free from the container as soon as it cools enough to contract. Right now, I have two styrofoam trays with a layer of lube cooling on the deck. I made a cookie cutter out of a .45 long Colt case and am going to cut out some lube pills after while. I don't know why I never thought of doing this before! Thanks George, Mike and all the rest of you for great ideas!

Steve
Old December 1, 2005, 04:15 PM   #8
Remington kid

Steve, My wife gave me a couple of old cookie sheets she had to use for making pills.Just make sure it's sitting on a level surface and pour the hot lube on the tray just about 1/16" thick. Let it cool and then cut out your pills.
I was going to send you some of mine but making your own is a good way to go. Then you know what texture and thickness you like.
I still don't recomend useing them under the ball or I should say over the powder. If you let it sit for any length of time it will contaminate the powder.
One thing I found that works great is a dry wool wad over the powder and then a little grease on the top of the wad. Seems to keep the barrel in great shape.
Old December 1, 2005, 05:07 PM   #9
tinker2

Colt .31

MPP1423
I have had some of the colt type .31. My hands are maybe
A little larger then some. The trigger guard is smaller.
I can shoot them but the guard is snug. The Remmington
Is a spur trigger. Fun to shoot. I would take either one,
both would be better.

Pictures
The colt copy was a kit. I had three of them. Shot one
of them, traded it (gave) to a friend. Converted one to
.22 lr with loading gate and ejector rod, stolen from me.
And of course this one that I have is not finished yet.

The Colt Root .28 caliber is to show a spur trigger.
Old December 1, 2005, 05:08 PM   #10
tinker2

Pictures??