The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 18, 2013, 06:15 PM   #1
ZombieHunterD

mossberg ported barrel and recoil pads

So im planning on purchasing a mossy 500 turkey thug, as an all purpose type shotgun. It goes for $300 at academy. there happen to be one last time i went so i was looking at it and noticed the 24" barrel was ported. To people that have experience with these types of barrels, is it alot more loud than a nonported? Im not here to discuss if ported barrels actually work. If it turns out to be really loud i probably wont go with it.

Also, its a really light gun, so ill be picking up a better recoil pad. Ive heard good and bad things about limbsaver. And im also looking at the p. decelerator.
My question is, do the prefit and slip on version cushion the same amount against felt recoil or is one better that the other?

thanks guys
Old February 21, 2013, 09:52 AM   #2
RonR6

I had the 24" rifled barrel for my 500 ported and it does help
with the muzzle climb of the slugs. As far as noise, the porting
does not make a difference. My Weatherby Accumark has a accubrake
and that does make the shot excessively louder
because the ports cut in it direct the gases back towards the
shooter to help with recoil
Old March 4, 2013, 09:22 PM   #3
bamaranger

Mossberg

I've just ordered a prefit Limbsaver for an 835. The slip over model seemed to goofy looking to me, and I am sure I could loose it off the butt w/o to much trouble given my luck and ability to mess up.

What little online checking I did seemed to show that folks liked the Limbsavers more than the Pach's. There was some dispute about fit with the 500's. Make sure you get a prefit that's intended for a synthetic stock, not a wood one, for the 500 series.

I can't say that the ports on our 835 make it any louder. I do think a shotgun barrel any shorter than 24 inches seems louder, as it's closer my ears!

The alloy receivered Mossbergs have a reputation as kickers with 3" and 3.5" shells. But standard velocity 2.75's are milder for most folks. I think the porting and hi-tech pad will make your 500 very shootable.
Old March 4, 2013, 10:27 PM   #4
BigD_in_FL

VERY LOUD I shoot a target gun with ported barrels and I wish they made the gun without them. You can easily feel the concussion and the blast
Old March 5, 2013, 08:01 AM   #5
ClydeFrog

12ga stocks...

I'm not much into shotguns right now but I may get a Browning BPS or 870(left hand) shotgun.

For stocks, Id check into a Knoxx recoil reducer type(that I think is in camo & for the Mossberg line) or the new to-cool-for-school Magpul shotgun stock.

ClydeFrog
www.blackhawk.com www.uscav.com www.magpul.com www.deltaforce.com www.natchezss.com www.midwayusa.com www.grafs.com