The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 17, 2012, 05:48 PM   #1
teejhot.40cal

sub compact 9mm- Walther PPS or Kahr

I am looking for a sub compact 9mm for carry. It needs to be thin so that counts out double stacks. Also it needs to be light because I plan on carrying it during runs. Also I would like to be able to install a belt clip. The weapons I have narrowed it down to are the Walther PPS, Kahr PM9, or Kahr CM9. Please no one say "taurus makes a great 709 slim" I am using this to replace my Taurus MilPro which I was less then satisfied with. If someone could let me know the experiences they have had with these weapons let me know the good, bad and ugly.

Also would someone please tell me the kahrs. I am assuming its is the same as the difference between the P9 and the CW9.

Last edited by teejhot.40cal; November 17, 2012 at 08:16 PM. Reason: wanted to add PPS and Kahr to title
Old November 17, 2012, 06:01 PM   #2
CPO15

I've had four Kahrs: sold the CW9, kept the P380, PM9 and MK9. I'm a fan. Never had an issue with any of them. If you go with a Kahr, I suggest you read and apply the info on prep found on the KahrTalk forum.

http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1521

And on proper lube:

http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=308
Old November 17, 2012, 06:06 PM   #3
golfnutrlv

Smith and Wesson M&P Shield!!

Had a chance to fire one this week, and I liked it a lot. Give it a try if you can.
America is at an awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.
Old November 17, 2012, 08:39 PM   #4
Crunchy Frog

I liked the feel of the Kahr but had never fired one before I bought a PPS for my wife. We took it to an indoor range; one of the staff had a Kahr and offered to switch with us so that she could try the PPS.

The PPS has a trigger similar to a Glock but to me it feels better than the Glocks I have tried. The Kahr has a longer, but smooth, trigger pull.

I think it is close enough to go with "what works for you".
Old November 17, 2012, 08:43 PM   #5
Mrgunsngear

If you're only planning on carrying it on your waist---PPS all the way. If you plan on pocket carry and IWB; Kahr.
Old November 17, 2012, 08:46 PM   #6
teejhot.40cal

I actually plan on carrying it in a 5.11 covert carry shirt or waist band belt clip. Anyone know how the PPS 40 handles while we're at it
Old November 17, 2012, 09:34 PM   #7
safd

I had a PPS and sold it to a co-worker. Very nice piece. Shot pretty well, just didn't 'sit' super well in my hand. I decided to try and new platform for me and went with Kahr. Bought a T-9 and love it, then got an MK-9. I love steel guns. The MK carries just as easily as the PPS. With a good belt, various handguns hardly matter. I carry appendix in a High Noon holster. Easy. Had my local smith stipple the front strap, put night sights on, and do an action job(on both Kahrs). SUPER sweet. Love the solid feel and simple design. Made here in the states is a big bonus as well.
Shield seems nice as well. It's all good in the long run. I have run a lot of different platforms. Love to dive in and devote myself to training.
Old November 17, 2012, 11:42 PM   #8
TheSpoon

Nothing in your post suggested looking for new alternatives but I'd look into the Bersa BP9cc. Very slim design, 9mm, and Bersa's have treated me well.
Old November 18, 2012, 04:17 AM   #9
Keepin_Jeepin

I carry the PPS IWB everday. Great gun. I also have a Smith and Wesson M&P Shield 9 that stays in the safe. It feels good. Slightly lighter and thinner but the PPS feels "right" to me.

As far as your two options, I compared the PPS next to the Kahr side by side... THe Walther seemed to fit my hand better. Both are/will be great guns. My vote is for the PPS. Ironically enough I am going to buy a Kahr soon as I have had my PPS a little over a year, and granted I love it, I am due for a change of scenery.
Old November 18, 2012, 09:12 AM   #10
PSP

The PPS probably compares more directly to the Kahr P9 in size. Whether you choose a Walther or Kahr may be simply a personal choice of which one feels better or fits your needs. Both are designed for the exact same use and are similar enough to perform the same.

Last edited by PSP; November 19, 2012 at 04:32 PM.
Old November 18, 2012, 10:06 AM   #11
loose_holster_dan

the pps is awesome
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old November 18, 2012, 10:11 AM   #12
Coach Z

I have two walther PPS. Absolutely love the gun. I can't recommend it highly enough. I haven't owned a kahr so I can't give you a direct comparison between the two.
Old November 18, 2012, 10:21 AM   #13
Ajtozzi

PPS FTW!
Old November 18, 2012, 10:37 AM   #14
EdInk

Kahr without a doubt.
Old November 18, 2012, 11:31 AM   #15
chris in va

I'll point out one more thing about the Kahr handguns. Despite being single stack, the grip is actually sized more like a '1.5' stack and more hand filling. I held the latest crop of subcompacts and it's like shooting a smartphone.
Old November 18, 2012, 11:38 AM   #16
Amsdorf

Glock 26!!
Old November 18, 2012, 06:53 PM   #17
cavediver27

Love my PPS 9mm! It is as good as it gets for a high quality, reliable, accurate, thin, light CC pistol that feels great in the hand.
Old November 18, 2012, 07:40 PM   #18
RBid

Chris in Va,

The CW9 is a bit sneaky. It's a true single stack, and about .9" through the grip. It's virtually identical in width to the Shield and LC9.
Old November 19, 2012, 01:44 PM   #19
kahrguy

tee Not a fair comparison ,walther pps and a cm/pm series. The cm/pm can be real pocket pistols 5 oz lighter. The pps is still a bit larger than the kahr CW/P series. Maybe look your pistols over.

See who maybe close to you in these forums that can let you shot one of there pistols or a rental guns. Also note price difference between models. cm/cw kahrs lgs priced around $375, pm/p about the same as the lgs price of the pps. Note that pps is a bit wider too. About the same difference between the pps and cw9 as a pps to glock 19 just to the bigger side. G26 with a added mag/finger extention would be closer yet to the pps.

wild kitty, right family name (moon) but wrong family member. 3rd son and one heck of a businessman on the global corporate scale. Kahr is more of a hobby business.
Old November 19, 2012, 03:48 PM   #20
Seaman

"If someone could let me know the experiences they have had with these weapons let me know the good, bad and ugly." [teejhot.40cal]

The Good: PPS has a fast shooting trigger, also very accurate (out of box) shooter. Kahr is safer (for carry) due to long (smooth) trigger travel. Kahr is a good looking handgun. Both carry well, have good ergos. PPS also has 3 different grip lengths which make it fit almost any hand.

The Bad: Kahr has slow trigger, can be challenging for quick double-taps. PPS demands a proper sturdy holster (due to short-travel quick trigger).

The Ugly: Yes, the PPS is ugle-ee!

Both are high quality handguns.

Good luck.
Old November 19, 2012, 04:22 PM   #21
Roland Thunder

I have a Kahr PM9. I had never heard of Kahr guns until about a year ago and bought one after renting one at the range. I have not been disappointed.

The PPS is to large for pocket carry. The PM9/CM9 you can pocket carry or carry IWB so it may be a little more versatile.

Both are good quality guns.
Old November 19, 2012, 04:45 PM   #22
Coltman 77

Quote:
Love my PPS 9mm! It is as good as it gets for a high quality, reliable, accurate, thin, light CC pistol that feels great in the hand.
+1

I've had a 9mm PPS for four years and it's been a superb handgun.

Accurate, easy to shoot well, reliable with both fmj/jhp ammo. Walther hit a homerun with this pistol IMO.

Protect our 2nd Amendment Rights -- Join the NRA
Old November 20, 2012, 08:00 AM   #23
deputy tom

I don't have any experience with the PPS but do with Kahr pistols from the beginning. I owned a K9, P40,CW9, amd CM9. I had some problems with the K9 and P40. Nothing but praise for the CW9 and CM9. Guzyk's Gun shop in Ambridge PA currently has the Cm9/CM40's for $385.00 plus tax.Good luck in your search.tom.

An end will come on the world, but love and music will endure.
Thig crioch air an t-saoghail, ach mairidh gaol 's ceol.
Old Scottish Gaelic proverb
Old November 21, 2012, 02:58 PM   #24
btmj

PPS 9mm is my daily carry for 90% of the time. The other 10% of the time I carry a Glock 19.

If you are used to striker-fired pistols, the PPS trigger will feel right nice. The weapon has two different palm swells to adjust the grip size. I normally carry with the 6 round mag which is a 3-finger grip. The 7 and 8 round mags allow you to use your pinky. With a light tee-shirt, I can't quite conceal the 7 round mag, but with the 6 round mag, the gun conceals nicely. With a heavier shirt, the 7 rounder is no problem.

The weapon required no break-in. It was reliable from the first round. It likes any ammo I have fed it, from standard pressure 110 gr FMJ, 124 gr +P HP, 147 gr HP, etc... It shoots well, and is accurate.

The Kahr CW9 felt good in my hand, but I did not care for the long trigger pull or the long reset. But that is a very personal preference.
Old November 23, 2012, 07:33 AM   #25
Kreyzhorse

The Walther PPS is an excellent gun. Shoots well, very accurate while it carrys like a small gun, it shoots like a full sized gun. The mag release takes a bit to get used to but once you do, it is pretty slick.