The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old February 28, 2008, 01:07 PM   #1
tharmer

Very bad IPSC experience yesterday

In another thread, I mentioned that I got my Coach-through card. Excited to be shooting this Sunday, but it is not to be. A very strange and bizarre situation has come up.

My question to you guys is what are your restrictions for use of the part of your range (what I call the Gun Games area)?

-terry

Last edited by tharmer; February 28, 2008 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Got new information so I delete most of the post
Old February 28, 2008, 10:01 PM   #2
yar

no restrictions on the local level. Were you trying to use some tactical thigh holster or something like this?
Old February 29, 2008, 12:34 AM   #3
tharmer

No, it was more a matter of some guys that shot up the poppers. The range was then closed to all but those who have been "approved". Just wondering about the rules for action bays--who can shot there etc. at other clubs.
Old February 29, 2008, 01:22 PM   #4
yar

Hows this a bad ipsc experience? Sounds reasonable to me. I remember two instances where some joker who was not shooting the match came and shredded a stage with his shotgun and pistol. He assumed that all the targetry was out there for anyone to enjoy. All the targets had to be replaced. This was just plain ignorance on his part.

Then on another instance a guy who should of known better decided to test out his rifle and shotgunon some of the poppers after the match. Shot holes through the popper or put big dents in them. All the poppers had to be repaired. Our welder was not very happy with the guy.

If your not shooting the match do not shoot the targets. If you want to practice after the match (assuming you participated in the match )get permission. Do not damage the targetry, that stuff is expensive.
Old February 29, 2008, 02:31 PM   #5
RickB

On our range, for access to the "action bays", there must be at least two people present, at least one of them a club member, at least one of them a "range officer" from a recognized organization, and at least one cell phone. We lock up our props, as much as possible, to keep them safe from the non-believers. Our barricades have had paper targets stapled to them, and our poppers had holes shot through them, etc. At another club, the nicest bay was off-limits to anyone who wasn't a club member and also a range officer, as incentives to join and get certified.
Old June 2, 2008, 11:48 PM   #6
David Hineline

What difference do the rules at our ranges make

How do the rules at our ranges effect what you will have to do to comply with your range rules?
Old June 4, 2008, 11:30 PM   #7
Sigma 40 Blaster

My range is in the process of adding a "gun games" area, one 100 yard range, 50 yard range, and 3 25 yard pistol bays for competitions. Our Bullseye, action pistol, .22 LR matches, and all the other stuff we do pretty much kills the range from 1-4 during the weekends (PEAK shooting time).

There is a lot of talk about locking up the access gate to the new bays, opening them up as regular bays...also if we'll leave target stands and steels out. We don't have a big problem with Bubba destroying our stuff at all...just a need to control change I guess.

I prefer open access to the bays, low cost target stands out, fixed steels left out, signs that say no magnum handgun calibers (or anything bigger) on the steels. If that doesn't work then I guess we can get a bit Draconian.

I'll be peeking in on this one to see what other clubs do.
Old June 5, 2008, 12:05 AM   #8
Ben Stoeger

I belong to a peace officers pistol club... we have to drag steel back in or the Cops destroy them. (not Cop bashing... just reporting the facts)

I have never heard of a club that leaves stuff out to be used by the masses.
Old June 5, 2008, 01:48 AM   #9
glockopop

The club I belong to apparently used to leave steel out, but there was an incident with a local yokel who injured himself by shoot the steel with an AR at about 10 yards. He got a bit of shrapnel, now nobody gets to shoot steel unsupervised.
Old June 8, 2008, 02:38 AM   #10
T. O'Heir

IPSC is a gun game.
"...A very strange and bizarre situation has come up..." What?