The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 2, 2024, 08:34 AM   #1
kymasabe

AR15 Thread Protector recommendations?

Good morning everyone, I's like to install a thread protector on an AR barrel, and the last time I tried to do this, I went thru half a dozen of them before I found one that was the right length and fit right, etc. I can't remember what I
bought and sold/traded the rest. Does anyone have a recommendation for one that they know will fit a basic gov't profile AR barrel?
Ballistic Advantage if it makes a difference.
Old February 2, 2024, 09:01 AM   #2
zukiphile

I'm not telling you to order from Amazon, but I believe this is the sort you want for a 5.56 barrel.

https://www.amazon.com/Thread-Protec.../dp/B01FY9W0Q8

It is long enough that it will be flush with the muzzle without a crush washer. With a crush washer, it should protect the crown a bit.

There are some odd rimfire barrels with a threaded section only .4" meant to mimic a 10/22 barrel, but those aren't BA branded.

I have experimented with .920 and one inch diameter thread protectors on centerfire rifles and didn't find an accuracy improvement with either.

Last edited by zukiphile; February 2, 2024 at 10:03 AM.