The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 28, 2013, 03:14 PM   #1
springfield 720

Crisco is the lube... hands down..

Took the NEW Pietta 1851 BRASSER .44 out for a smoke.. Tried lubed wads,, wax buttons ect.,, but nothin,, I mean nothin, will out run the Crisco.. I even put some on the cylinder shaft and it really keeps the powder out..really no clean-up either.... The boys on here know their smoke wagons.. Thanks to all for the hand-me-down experience..
Old April 28, 2013, 03:36 PM   #2
spitpatch

When I have used crisco it melts off after a couple shots even in cool weather.
Old April 28, 2013, 03:42 PM   #3
Roshi

Works OK in cold weather

I haven't used Crisco in years since once I moved to a warm climate I found that it melts and makes a mess.
Old April 28, 2013, 03:46 PM   #4
Hawg

Crisco in hot weather is very runny. However as an over ball lube you don't have to fill the void between ball and chamber mouth. Doing so just blows it all over the gun. A little around the edge of the balls is all you need. Lubed wads are a cleaner way to go or a grease pill under the ball made from Crisco and beeswax.
Old April 28, 2013, 05:34 PM   #5
Fingers McGee

I've always found a bore butter lubed arbor and lubed wads to be cleaner, easier to use, and more effective in keeping a Colt styled revolver running for multiple shots without binding up.

But, not everyone's choice of lubrication works for someone else. I'm glad you found something that works for you.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old April 29, 2013, 09:34 AM   #6
g.willikers

Since switching to 777, a wad over the powder is just fine.
And no mess.
It smells better, too.
Old April 29, 2013, 11:11 AM   #7
kwhi43

If you do use Crisco, use the Butter favor.Don't know why, but it just works better. Once you use it, you will never go back.
Old April 29, 2013, 12:09 PM   #8
Doc Hoy

For years....

My chosen lube was (and I suppose for some applications still is) half and half Crisco and wax rings.

If it gets hot, I just increase the amount of wax ring.

But I find that for BPCR bullet lube a mixture of beeswax and either mutton tallow or lard works real well.

The purists will swear that mutton tallow is best. But I have never read of a comparison between mutton tallow and lard. I know that I am not enough of a shooter to tell the difference even though I have compared them and they work equally well. But I am sure there are those who can.
Old April 29, 2013, 01:08 PM   #9
Andy Griffith

I had to go to a shoot last week, and I was out of lube and crisco, and had to look around for something else...so I had some unsalted butter, which worked great once I warmed it up enough to use in my dispenser. It smelled great too!

Too expensive to use all the time though.

Thought about organic goat cheese, but I don't think it'd work quite so well.
Old April 29, 2013, 01:37 PM   #10
Rigmarol

I stopped using Crisco because it smelled too much like french fries and it made my hungry... Just pulling your leg, use what works for you.

I just started using "Big Lube" bullets in my .44 Dragoons and so far they work great with my homemade lube (Felix). I still need time to see if it continues to work well.
Old April 29, 2013, 05:03 PM   #11
deerslayer303

I'll stick to the traditional beez and tallow mix. It would let my remmy run 6 cylinders no sweat, then after that all I had to do was a quick wipe to the cylinder pin.
Old April 29, 2013, 11:31 PM   #12
DPris
Member Emeritus

I quit using Crisco over 30 years ago.
In my .36 it melted (shooting or not shooting), made a huge mess of the gun, dripped down into the holster on hot days. I actually used to carry it in the wilds.
Individual preference & certainly your choice, but I'll be sticking to the Wonder Wads.
Denis
Old April 30, 2013, 08:04 AM   #13
brazosdave

I usually use bore butter for the arbor, although in the Texas summer it doesn't last. Olive oil soaked felt wads are my lube of choice.
Old April 30, 2013, 08:09 AM   #14
4V50 Gary
Staff

Crisco is no good in hot weather and it does go over 100 in Colorado (OK, I know some places are hotter but I'm a 60 degree F person).
Old April 30, 2013, 06:35 PM   #15
bedbugbilly

Hawg . . . I had to laugh when I read your post in regards to filling the remainder of the chamber up with Crisco. Many, many years ago, when I got my first BP revolver (a '60 Army) I made that mistake . . . on a hot day. I can't even begin to describe the "runny mess" I had. I soon learned to just add a very little as you mention.

I do use a mixture of Crisco and beeswax now . . but to lube the wads I make to go between powder and ball. Since I make holsters, etc. as a hobby, I have plenty of scrap pieces. I primarily shoot Navies (Colt & Remmington) so I punch out the wads from leather for the .36. It really doesn't take long to do a couple of hundred in a sitting. I mix Crisco and beeswax - heat it until it liquifies in the microwave and then toss the leather wads in so it will soak in. I use a small strainer to remove and then put them out on a piece of newspaper and blot them with paper towel. They are lubed but not messy and I just carry 'em in an empty musket cap tin. They seem to work well and haven't; given me any problems.

I well remember the day though that I shot that '60 Army for the first time. By the time I was done shooting, I had more grease, gunk and fouling on me and my clothes than the gun had on it. At that time, at least for me, I decided that Crisco worked best for making pie crusts.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old April 30, 2013, 10:06 PM   #16
Boomer58cal

I use one part Alox, 4 parts wax and 5 parts crisco, but I live in nice cool coastal OreGun.
Old May 2, 2013, 01:39 PM   #17
DEEJAY7950

I'd only use Crisco if I had to pack and bury a gun in the ground lol! You know the only reasons why a person would do that!
Old May 2, 2013, 02:08 PM   #18
Hardcase

I use Crisco to stuff the bottom of minie balls in my 1862 Springfield rifle. But that's usually up in the mountains where a really hot day is in the low 80s. I'll bet that I'd be filling them with lard soup if I tried that down in the valley.
Old May 2, 2013, 03:37 PM   #19
Erno86

I like to top off the cylinder of my Ruger Old Army pistol with Butter Crisco mixed with 30% pure beeswax. My filler is Cream of Wheat.
You'll have to put the Crisco and beeswax in a small soupcan and put it in a pot of boiling water. Wait till it all melts...and pour the solution into your favorite container; and let it harden. I find that a small plastic knife works well in cleaving out the waxy stuff, and spreading it out flush with the face of the cylinder. The mixture will not run on a hot cylinder, nor will it run on hot days.

P.S. - I like to use a lobster fork for prying off stuck an jammed caps.

--- George Orwell

Last edited by Erno86; May 2, 2013 at 03:59 PM.
Old May 3, 2013, 09:26 PM   #20
Jbar4Ranch

Crisco & soy wax 50/50

SASS 47015