The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 29, 2016, 11:56 PM   #1
bravo2

1956 Ruger single six 22lr flatgate

I picked up a old 1956 Ruger flat gate single six 5.5" in a trade. I like it a lot just really needs refinished as its old worn looking gun sort of speak. Action is tight like its not been fired a lot and springs strong. It has the walnut grips. I got $225 tied in it trade wise. Reading I guess no 22 mag cylinder for them till 61' I think I read. I guess would not be worth getting a cylinder to use size barrel inner dia smaller. It is not been altered I don't think but not certain. I may pick up another cylinder in 22lr though mine is pretty worn finish wise, needs some rust cleaned off the barrel in places. Mainly just needs refinished. I'm not worried about value lost in refinishing it. I'm shooting it anyway just like it to get it cleaned up and looking good. Thought about Ruger redoing it but I don't want it altered safety wise. Thoughts?
Old January 30, 2016, 07:15 AM   #2
DAnjet500

Ruger would not refit magnum cylinders to early Single Sixes with serial numbers lower than 150000. The barrel diameter is sized for the smaller .22 lr bullet.
If you do send it in for refinishing, they will perform the transfer bar upgrade and most likely return the original parts. If you are leery of Ruger returning your original parts, just remove them before you send the gun in.
Personally, I would leave the gun as is, clean it and shoot it. JMHO
Old January 31, 2016, 02:45 AM   #3
Drm50

Ditto...with no sentimental value you are going to end up in the hole. $225
+ refinish cost.
Old January 31, 2016, 06:52 AM   #4
CajunBass

I don't know how bad the rust is, but what I'd do, and I've done this with a lot of guns, is get a tube of Flitz and polish the gun with that. A lot of people will jump up and say Flitz will damage the finish, and while that MIGHT be true, it sounds like the finish is damaged already and you have nothing to lose.

Don't use any kind of power tool. Just rub the stuff on with your fingers, or a cloth, then buff it off by hand. You're just trying to polish it, not sand a tabletop, so take it easy and use light pressure, a bit more if you have a really stubborn rust spot.

You might be surprised what you get when you're finished, and you can always send it off to be refinished if your not happy with it.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old January 31, 2016, 11:05 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

Those old flat gates have some collector interest, so I would either not have it refinished, or would have someone other than Ruger do it. If Ruger does it, they will install the new transfer bar system, which will change the collectability factor, even though it will make the gun safer.

Jim
Old February 2, 2016, 08:30 AM   #6
cecILL

Wipe it down with an oily cloth for a few days and you'll have a better idea on what you have.