The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 23, 2000, 04:20 PM   #1
Monkeyleg

I've got a bunch of Federal .45 ACP cases that are at their tenth reload. I don't see any signs of distress such as mouth splits or
loose primer pockets. This may be because I load for approximately 750 fps. I'm just wondering, though, if there's any effect on accuracy as a case is loaded over and over again. Any opinions?

Dick
Old February 23, 2000, 04:30 PM   #2
Big Bunny

I'd reload until splits appear as they are the main robber of accuracy in my experience, but you may need a magnifier to spot latent problems.
Your 45acp [I believe, I do not own one] is only taper-crimped like my Nagent 7.62mm(short) .32(but mine is .310 brass - rimmed).
With modest target loads those cases have lasted 15 years and probably 180 to 200 reloads each with only some now having primer leakage. The solution was to go to softer primers which seal better under low pressures I use for ISSF 25m matches

------------------
***Big Bunny***
Old February 23, 2000, 09:16 PM   #3
WESHOOT2

CONSISTENT case neck tension is the accuracy factor.

For my personal "Monday night practice" 45ACP loads (IPSC Major) I start with a LEE "U" undersize sizing die. Finish with a Lee Carbide Factory Crimp die. Some cases have been loaded 50+ times.

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

Old February 24, 2000, 03:03 PM   #4
Monkeyleg

Thanks, guys. Now how do I measure or estimate "consistent" neck tension? I'm getting good groups, but there is the occassional flier. Maybe I should just toss that case, if I can find it after it's been fired.

Dick
Old February 24, 2000, 04:45 PM   #5
johnnybravo

If you have a suspect case, load it as usual, then push it nose down on the bench. If the bullet slides in further on that round and not the others, toss the case. Usually, you can load them until they're lost or split.

------------------
johnnyb